The Student Room Group

Failed my mock test 4 days before my real test :(

I did a mock test in a different area to where I live and I practically failed (Even though my instructor didn't say I failed, he just said some examiners would fail me :frown: )

The main two things I could have failed on were:

1. Unfamiliar Junction. I was approaching the junction and traffic was also coming towards me (this threw me a bit cause I then panicked because I didn't know if I was in the right lane) so I started to turn and my instructor said no no this one (there was two lanes coming onto the junction, and one small lane to go off which is where I should have gone) To be honest, I didn't have a clue what I was doing but I managed to get off the junction in one piece.

2. Meeting. I pulled out of a space and there was another car which stopped (the cars were on my side of the road). I couldn't see past the car in front, so I passed (The road was also slopped, so it was difficult to see) and as I passed another car appeared and had to wait for me. My instructor said I should have used 'peep and creep' to see if there was another car coming, although I feel if I did this i'd be too far out on the road for any other cars to get past, and I only saw the car after I had passed the first parked car.

It's pretty annoying, considering my test is so close. Hopefully these errors were only because it was an unfamiliar area :/

Has anyone else failed their mock but passed their actual test?

Scroll to see replies

My driving instructor told me he never EVER passed anyone on their mock test as it made them cocky for their real test! He always found a reason to fail them :smile:

Don't worry!
Reply 2
I nearly crashed three times the hour before my test & passed. Try and calm your nerves? There are loads of methods but panicking now isn't going to help & will probably make it worse so try to distract yourself.

Good luck for the test!!
Reply 3
Original post by BethaneyJ
My driving instructor told me he never EVER passed anyone on their mock test as it made them cocky for their real test! He always found a reason to fail them :smile:

Don't worry!

It also knocks your confidence :/ :tongue:
Reply 4
I never even had a mock test, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. On the final lesson just before my test, I still manage to muck up lots of things. On the test itself though, most things seemed to click and fall into place.

I failed though, but on a maneuver, not something really critical.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Runninground
It also knocks your confidence :/ :tongue:

I dunno, I passed first time and he did it to me :P Don't let it bother you at all. I thought I'd failed a few minutes into my test as I did a 3 point turn where I ended up turning the windscreen wipers onto full pelt and it wasn't raining. I pulled over and sorted it and then waved an old man across the road. I saw him mark something down and though ahhh hell - failed. So I just gave up trying to pass and drove. I didn't believe him when he said I'd passed!

If he thinks you're ready to take a test then he obviously thinks you can pass!

Have faith in yourself.
Reply 6
I ran a red light whilst my examiner was having a "quality assurance test" with the DVLA, which we were using as my mock test. (To be fair, I stopped once I'd realised, it was an unfamiliar and confusing junction and didn't block oncoming traffic but still)
My REAL test was the next day, the examiner, that had been testing my instructor, was my test examiner. I nearly cried when I saw him, he definitely still remembered that I ran that red light. I screamed at the examiner (I was a little stressed) when he asked me to parallel park the car and then cried when I realised that I had parked the car properly.
I still passed :smile:
Reply 7
My instructor says I should pass. I hope I do. I'm fine when I'm just driving normally, but then when we start the mock test everything goes downhill from there :tongue:

I also find that one problem leads to another. Like I said above, I wasn't sure if I was in the correct lane at the junction, then that caused me to not be sure at which lane to exit in.
Reply 8
Original post by l.west191
I ran a red light whilst my examiner was having a "quality assurance test" with the DVLA, which we were using as my mock test. (To be fair, I stopped once I'd realised, it was an unfamiliar and confusing junction and didn't block oncoming traffic but still)
My REAL test was the next day, the examiner, that had been testing my instructor, was my test examiner. I nearly cried when I saw him, he definitely still remembered that I ran that red light. I screamed at the examiner (I was a little stressed) when he asked me to parallel park the car and then cried when I realised that I had parked the car properly.
I still passed :smile:

:K:
Reply 9
Original post by james1211
:K:

Yep...

Afterwards I took the pass plus course because I wasn't happy in the car by myself, that was 3 years ago and as of yet (touch wood and all the jazz) I have never been in any crash, my fault or otherwise.

I was just nervous on the day and hate taking tests of any kind.
Yep...

Afterwards I took the pass plus course because I wasn't happy in the car by myself, that was 3 years ago and as of yet (touch wood and all the jazz) I have never been in any crash, my fault or otherwise.

I was just nervous on the day and hate taking tests of any kind.

I don't feel like I could be in the car on my own yet. I'd do it, but I wouldn't feel safe. I'll probably do the pass plus too :biggrin:
Reply 11
I don't feel like I could be in the car on my own yet. I'd do it, but I wouldn't feel safe. I'll probably do the pass plus too :biggrin:

You'll be fine, I felt a LOT happier after the pass plus and only did short journeys etc until I was confident.

I never had a lot of confidence when I was learning to drive, it took me a year to find the confidence to even book my test, even though after 6 months my instructor said he thought I was technically ready (as in could drive to the right standard) but I just never felt like I could.

I was lucky, I had a fantastic instructor who got to know me really well, knew when I was getting frustrated and needed to do something else, knew when I was getting stressed and needed to stop driving for a bit, and sat in the back of the car when I had my test so he could calm me down if I got too bad.

Don't do it, if you're not completely sure that you're ready for it, don't let your instructor bully you into it, that's a sure fire way to fail.

If you go in there thinking you can pass, you'll pass. Just drive like you would any other time and just pretend he's (or she's) just your normal instructor. (It will probably help if you don't scream at them too.) :biggrin:

If you go in there thinking you can pass, you'll pass. Just drive like you would any other time and just pretend he's (or she's) just your normal instructor. (It will probably help if you don't scream at them too.) :biggrin:

I feel I can do it, it's just that little worry that I could fail. My instructor says I am ready, but it's just every now and then something happens which I would fail for, and that knocks me back a little :/
Reply 13
I feel I can do it, it's just that little worry that I could fail. My instructor says I am ready, but it's just every now and then something happens which I would fail for, and that knocks me back a little :/

Don't run any red lights and I'm sure you've got it covered :smile:

Let us know when you pass though :biggrin:
Don't run any red lights and I'm sure you've got it covered :smile:

Let us know when you pass though :biggrin:

I'm okay at the lights :biggrin: I just don't like going on junctions that are confusing :lolwut:
Reply 15
I'm okay at the lights :biggrin: I just don't like going on junctions that are confusing :lolwut:

This red light had TWO stop lines (I mean, really, is that necessary?) and I didn't know which one to pick, so I went for the one closest to the end of the junction.

Junctions still confuse me to this day, if you're not sure about lane placement, I'm sure you can ask. I had my test in the city where I live, so it wasn't a big deal (it's a pretty small "city"), but I'm sure if they take you somewhere you don't know, they'd prefer you to ask than just guess randomly.
This red light had TWO stop lines (I mean, really, is that necessary?) and I didn't know which one to pick, so I went for the one closest to the end of the junction.

Junctions still confuse me to this day, if you're not sure about lane placement, I'm sure you can ask. I had my test in the city where I live, so it wasn't a big deal (it's a pretty small "city"), but I'm sure if they take you somewhere you don't know, they'd prefer you to ask than just guess randomly.

I think if it has two stop lines, then there should be part time traffic lights too. Otherwise, idk! :P

I think ill fail if I ask, i'm not sure if that counts as the examiner 'getting involved' though :/

I'm taking it in the town where I live, so I think I know the funny looking junctions fairly well. I just hope my nerves dont get the better of me :colondollar:
Few months before I took my test, my instructor decided to surprise me by turning up with her partner (business partner, not life partner) who gave me a mock test - which, I failed because he had to remind me to stop at a red light :facepalm: I did pass my real test though :biggrin:
I never ever passed a mock test with my instructor (we did maybe 5 or 6), and I passed third time. The funny thing is, even the mock tests were failed due to nerves. My instructor called it 'green sheet syndrome'. The green sheet comes out, my driving goes out the window
Reply 19

isn't that for cyclists? - The back line is used for cars and the front one for cyclists so they can get some speed and they don't feel like theyre holding up all the traffic. That's 1 instance where you have two stop lines anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending