The Student Room Group

Is it worth getting ahead with A2 over the summer?

I've finished AS this year and am taking maths, chemistry and biology at A2 next year. Over the summer I'm planning to cover C3 and some of C4 for maths, but I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile making a good start on chemistry and biology as well? We didn't do much work on them in the last six weeks after exams. I was also considering doing an EPQ (which I may just research over the summer) and extra reading and other random stuff. BUT, I'm also going to be on holiday for three weeks. Eek.

Should I just wait until September to start the courses? Is an EPQ even worth doing for the amount of time and effort that it's going to take? Or should I just research the material over the summer anyway, so that even if I don't end up doing it, I'll have lots of extra reading to talk about? Don't know what to do! Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)
I've also just done my AS exams and am doing Maths. It's always a good sign to start A2 work on your own but I personally am doing my further reading, making my personal statement and preparing for the TSA oxford exam. Yes it's good to start with your work for next year but also read and prepare for your universities. Good Luck
Reply 2
Original post by ummm
I've finished AS this year and am taking maths, chemistry and biology at A2 next year. Over the summer I'm planning to cover C3 and some of C4 for maths, but I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile making a good start on chemistry and biology as well? We didn't do much work on them in the last six weeks after exams. I was also considering doing an EPQ (which I may just research over the summer) and extra reading and other random stuff. BUT, I'm also going to be on holiday for three weeks. Eek.

Should I just wait until September to start the courses? Is an EPQ even worth doing for the amount of time and effort that it's going to take? Or should I just research the material over the summer anyway, so that even if I don't end up doing it, I'll have lots of extra reading to talk about? Don't know what to do! Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

In my opinion, an EPQ isn't really worth it. I too in the beginning thought it would be beneficial and would help me to secure a place at uni but in the end I opted out and didn't do it. I am glad i didn't as some of my friends did and they told me how it took up a lot of time and effort, and they could have used that time to concentrate more on their A2's!
Reply 3
Original post by coastbeats
I've also just done my AS exams and am doing Maths. It's always a good sign to start A2 work on your own but I personally am doing my further reading, making my personal statement and preparing for the TSA oxford exam. Yes it's good to start with your work for next year but also read and prepare for your universities. Good Luck

How are you preparing for the TSA? So you're just focusing on the university applications side of things? I think I might just do that now, and just learn bits and pieces of A2 stuff....
Reply 4
Defo start A2 revision over the summer, you will be surprised by how much more you will know then your peers when you start A2.
Reply 5
Original post by ekta9
In my opinion, an EPQ isn't really worth it. I too in the beginning thought it would be beneficial and would help me to secure a place at uni but in the end I opted out and didn't do it. I am glad i didn't as some of my friends did and they told me how it took up a lot of time and effort, and they could have used that time to concentrate more on their A2's!

Hmm, I might research something in depth as though I was doing an EPQ but then not bother actually doing it. All the log book and planning and documenting looks like it'll take ages! So do you reckon I should just focus on doing extra reading, getting ahead with maths, working on my PS and some other stuff to boost my application?
Reply 6
Original post by stackemup
Defo start A2 revision over the summer, you will be surprised by how much more you will know then your peers when you start A2.

I don't know if I have that much time to do it though! I might just make a start on the next units so I'm a bit ahead. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ummm
Hmm, I might research something in depth as though I was doing an EPQ but then not bother actually doing it. All the log book and planning and documenting looks like it'll take ages! So do you reckon I should just focus on doing extra reading, getting ahead with maths, working on my PS and some other stuff to boost my application?

Yeah definitely think you should just stick to learning some A2 material as A2 is so much more difficult and you really have to go through the stuff a few times in order to understand it!
Reply 8
Original post by ekta9
Yeah definitely think you should just stick to learning some A2 material as A2 is so much more difficult and you really have to go through the stuff a few times in order to understand it!

Is it really that much harder? :s Hopefully maths will be alright, and just a case of doing lots of practice (which I think is just fun anyway) :tongue: But yeah, I can imagine that biology and chemistry are going to be pretty intense. :frown: I hate some of the topics in biology unit 4 as well. Ecology, photosynthesis, respiration... so. fricking. boring! I love some of the other topics though.

Any other tips for A2? :smile: How many times harder than AS would you say it is?
Reply 9
No! Enjoy your summer and relax. Yr 13 is very intense but even harder if you haven't had time to relax over summer. You're not going to retain any of the stuff for your exams in June so relax.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Original post by ummm
Is it really that much harder? :s Hopefully maths will be alright, and just a case of doing lots of practice (which I think is just fun anyway) :tongue: But yeah, I can imagine that biology and chemistry are going to be pretty intense. :frown: I hate some of the topics in biology unit 4 as well. Ecology, photosynthesis, respiration... so. fricking. boring! I love some of the other topics though.

Any other tips for A2? :smile: How many times harder than AS would you say it is?

It is harder than AS but nothing like the jump from gcse to AS. As for respiration and photosynthesis well they grow on you. I really liked them by the end. Ecology always remains dull though and everyone hates it.

From results day I am going to begin going over my A2 subjects, and read a couple set text.

For now, I shall enjoy doing nothing and so should you.
Reply 12
Original post by navarre
No! Enjoy your summer and relax. Yr 13 is very intense but even harder if you haven't had time to relax over summer. You're not going to retain any of the stuff for your exams in June so relax.

Original post by navarre
It is harder than AS but nothing like the jump from gcse to AS. As for respiration and photosynthesis well they grow on you. I really liked them by the end. Ecology always remains dull though and everyone hates it.

Thanks for the replies. You're right... I need to de-stress a bit. :smile:
I can never learn to love photosynthesis. And you're right - everybody hates ecology. :tongue:
It's the topic of the devil.

Have you just finished your A2 year? If so, what subjects were you doing? And what are you doing/hoping to do at university? :smile:
Reply 13
yeah, i think im gonna do some all the problems for chemistry salters and make revision cards cos the F334 exam in jan is a real b***h. might as well start preparing now.
Reply 14
The only subject I would really think it's relevant to put some effort into is English Literature. By reading your set-texts (but not analysing them) you'll find the structured learning much more easier if you have the knowledge already.

I agree that brushing up on AS-Levels is wise, but starting new content is pointless.
Reply 15
Original post by ummm

It depends! Some find it harder but I guess the key is just to keep ahead of the work and not fall back, and make sure you understand everything. Yeah bio does get a bit intense (e.g. I was predicted an A for bio after AS finished but then ended up getting an overall of a C for my whole grade as I found A2 so much more difficult!). And yeah ecology is just dullll!!
Reply 16
Original post by ummm
Thanks for the replies. You're right... I need to de-stress a bit. :smile:
I can never learn to love photosynthesis. And you're right - everybody hates ecology. :tongue:
It's the topic of the devil.

Have you just finished your A2 year? If so, what subjects were you doing? And what are you doing/hoping to do at university? :smile:

I never thought I'd like photosynthesis either- but stuff like the light dependent reaction and the Calvin cycle turned out to be good (but hard) parts of the course- far better than, say, DNA imo.

Yep I have just finished A2, I was doing biology, chemistry and history and I am taking a gap year and afterwards studying medicine at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest