The Student Room Group

I've put ON weight since I started going to the gym?!

Okay so I always used to weigh around 8stone 2, have done for the past 3 or 4 years. However, since around April I have started making the most of my gym membership and have become quite disciplined with fitness - I go every other day and do an hour's worth of cardio/weights/resistance. I weighed myself this morning (electronic scales so I'm pretty sure they're accurate) and I am now 8stone 9 :s-smilie: I don't look or feel any bigger, however I have noticed an increased muscle tone on my legs and thighs....could this make me gain SEVEN POUNDS?! I am actually quite happy with the gain, as I was underweight before, however I just think it's weird that I have gained weight from going to the gym (my diet has remained the same). If this is the case surely it would be a problem for people who are trying to loose weight by increasing their exercise?

Oh and also, my bust-waist-hip measurements have remained the same...strange.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Muscle weighs more than the equivalent fat, it is a sign that your disciplined exercise is paying off and your gaining muscle.
Reply 2
muscle gain?
Reply 3
Yep it's good thing

You've probably gained muscle in areas you wouldn't expect either.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Okay so I always used to weigh around 8stone 2, have done for the past 3 or 4 years. However, since around April I have started making the most of my gym membership and have become quite disciplined with fitness - I go every other day and do an hour's worth of cardio/weights/resistance. I weighed myself this morning (electronic scales so I'm pretty sure they're accurate) and I am now 8stone 9 :s-smilie: I don't look or feel any bigger, however I have noticed an increased muscle tone on my legs and thighs....could this make me gain SEVEN POUNDS?! I am actually quite happy with the gain, as I was underweight before, however I just think it's weird that I have gained weight from going to the gym (my diet has remained the same). If this is the case surely it would be a problem for people who are trying to loose weight by increasing their exercise?

You're eating more. Nothing to do with muscle gain. If it was that easy to gain 7lbs of muscle, every other guy would be massive and ripped.
Reply 5
No girl gains 7lbs of pure muscle in a few months. They just don't have the testosterone for it. OP, you didn't weigh yourself before you started, so how do you know how much you gained? Could have just been an inconsistent weighing.

Stop paying attention to numbers on a scale and start paying attention to your physique in a mirror. Scale numbers mean **** all, bodyfat and body composition are what should be worrying about.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
You're eating more. Nothing to do with muscle gain. If it was that easy to gain 7lbs of muscle, every other guy would be massive and ripped.

But if that were the case surely I'd have bigger measurements? I have always found it very hard to gain weight, seems a bit weird that suddenly I'd gain 7lbs. I don't look muscly...but maybe it's more internal...I dunno.
Original post by HFerguson
No girl gains 7lbs of pure muscle in a few months. They just don't have the testosterone for it. OP, you didn't weigh yourself before you started, so how do you know how much you gained? Could have just been an inconsistent weighing.

Stop paying attention to numbers on a scale and start paying attention to your physique in a mirror. Scale numbers mean **** all, bodyfat and body composition are what should be worrying about.

I did, I said I weighed around 8stone 2....:rolleyes:
Could it be from water retention?
(edited 11 years ago)
You'll gain muscle before you lose fat. When I started going I went up from 12st 6lb to 13st, but now my weight is on its way down - last time I checked I was 11st 7lb :smile:
Reply 10
People should go to the gym to lose fat, not weight it's a common misconception and people feel like crap when they shouldn't! Be happy with increase in muscle! When I used to go I never lost any weight but my body fat percentage dropped and I put on a lot of muscle so I was happy with the result.
Reply 11
Original post by Sly Blade
Muscle weighs more than the equivalent fat, it is a sign that your disciplined exercise is paying off and your gaining muscle.

why is this always the first response in this kind of thread. a guy couldnt put on more than 7lbs of muscle in 4 months, and u think a woman can

What's your diet like, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 13
Original post by sconter
why is this always the first response in this kind of thread. a guy couldnt put on more than 7lbs of muscle in 4 months, and u think a woman can

lol i did? in much less time... It also because when OP states that their diet hasn't changed i believe them and give the most logical answer i can think of based off what i know.

*edit* i would also like to point out the body regularly fluctuates by 4lbs on the average person...
(edited 11 years ago)

Who cares what the scales say. The scales aren't your friend, the mirror is.
Hmmm, my scales have a bodyfat percentage function (wth, how would they ever work that out?!) and mine is apparently 18.5% which seems freakishly low. Ultimate verdict: my scales are crap.
Reply 16
Original post by Sly Blade
lol i did? in much less time... It also because when OP states that their diet hasn't changed i believe them and give the most logical answer i can think of based off what i know.

no you didnt :smile:
xxx

:smile:
Reply 17
have you actually been monitoring your diet to know its stayed the same or is that just a guess? because I would think you have been eating more due to exercise making your more hungry or whatever without noticing. I highly doubt that you have put on 7lbs of muscle since April. My guess would be that you have put on a few lbs of muscle and the rest is fat. The reason you might not notice the change in your body is that 7lbs isn't really that much.. especially if some of it is muscle anyway. If you have put on for example 3 lbs of muscle that is only 4 lbs of fat you wouldn't really notice it at all.
Reply 18
It might be your diet. You should have a high protein and a low carbs diet.
I did, I said I weighed around 8stone 2....:rolleyes:

but you weighed yourself with a different scale didn't you? :rolleyes: lights on but nobody home

Latest