The Student Room Group

Guys who don't go to the gym - is it a turn off for you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lozzaa
Read my reply like 2 posts up. I don't juice, but none of the guys I know who juice have had long lasting problems. (and some of them are on 50/100 x normal testosterone levels)

Yeah it's a good response. I was explaining from an endocriniology background. Leutinizing hormone is responsible for the production of testosterone so it's interesting to see that this too is changed.
Original post by MKZebra
If he did go to the gym, I would feel paranoid that he was secretly judging my flabby bits. I suppose it's not too bad because I do walk quite a distance everyday, and I'm by no means fat, but there are certain areas that could be a bit more toned.

EDIT: Really don't understand the negs here... Am I not allowed to have insecurities about my body?

So rather than being happy that your bf looks good naked, you would feel insecure over how you look? :confused:

Anyway, to address OP it is always the same story; girls in shape/hot girls want guys who are in good shape from doing sports or going to the gym. Girls who don't want a guy in shape are not in shape themselves and want to settle for someone who will comfort their insecurities rather than someone who looks good.

Original post by hollywoodbudgie
If his body looks okay, then I really don't care whether or not he's had his flipping protein shakes.

No gym/sports = bad body :redface:
It all comes down to what standards the person has.

Original post by tsr-member
It wouldn't be a particular turn off.

But it would definitely have plus points if he did! I'm a relatively active person myself. I go to the gym very often and I take good care of my body, so I'm attracted to guys who do the same.

This however, is not attractive. There's a difference between taking care of one's self and being 'built' :h:

You mean steroids + photoshop right? :biggrin:

Original post by Freyaaaa
I wouldn't mind if they went gym or not. He just hasn't got to be fat, that's all.

Aiming for the stars I see....:giggle:

Because they've taken so much steroids from an external source (something which is used to make testosterone, which is a steriod sex hormone) their body's start to drastically reduce the amount of testosterone it produces, (hence the noticably small penis in comparison to the whole body).
In addition, the whole endocrine system (which results in problems in androgen production). All in all, this causes severe and often permanent erectile dysfunction.

Moral of the story: Don't take steriods kids, makes you hench but useless else where.

Erm, sources? :curious:
I doubt your claims simply because there has been **** all research into steroid use as no one really cares. Also some of your facts on steroids are just a bit wrong eg. steroids are testosterone, not something that produces it as your body can not physically produce the volume some people use (60x natural amount of testosterone). Yes, the body counteracts this influx of testosterone by producing estrogen, but the long term affects are relatively unknown. Some people have major complications, some people have none, and no one knows what amount & length of time would cause damage over growth :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by de_monies
Bit stereotypical. I don't have protein shakes,but I do have a lot of milk, but that's more out of habit, instead of saying "I need it"

I'd prefer not to be really built, but more to get toned

You've just done the typical "women's logic" thing of thinking a general point (and a flippant one to boot) refers to what you do.
Reply 63
Yeah it's a good response. I was explaining from an endocriniology background. Leutinizing hormone is responsible for the production of testosterone so it's interesting to see that this too is changed.

There's a massive loop, basically. And by upsetting one stage, it ****s everything else up (it's similar to how the pill stops/alters the hormone loop in the female ovulation cycle). My degree is in CS, I just know a fair few users and what they do to combat that. But I know loads of (especially older) men are given TRT to boost their libido...
Reply 64
Original post by g36c
dedication = obsessed in your opinion, ok thats you. Some people have drive and ambitions in life though.

quite obviously not. The poster talked about obsession you replied saying "no its not obsession its dedication you wouldn't think anyone was "obsessed" with piano. YOU were the one who linked the two together about a post that was nothing about dedication but was about obsession. So I was talking about obsession. There is a line and many people do cross it.
From this thread alone, you can clearly tell who exercises and who doesn't. Regardless of whether they go gym or not.

Vain..... right :rofl2:

No, I don't go gym; don't see the point for me personally. I do other forms of exercise, and I'm not talking about 'walking' :rolleyes:

I have respect for many gym-goers though. In fact it's probably the easiest goal-attaining activity for an onlooker to see in another individual. More people should get involved in physical self-improvement, the benefits are... there are just too many.

Being healthy is GOOD, no vain. :biggrin:
Original post by Arekkusu
You've just done the typical "women's logic" thing of thinking a general point (and a flippant one to boot) refers to what you do.

I didn't neg you. Also, she was generalising, I implied she WAS generalising and then I applied her generalisation to myself.
Reply 67
Original post by boba
quite obviously not. The poster talked about obsession you replied saying "no its not obsession its dedication you wouldn't think anyone was "obsessed" with piano. YOU were the one who linked the two together about a post that was nothing about dedication but was about obsession. So I was talking about obsession. There is a line and many people do cross it.

She implied that any guys who are dedicated to the gym are obsessed whereas she wouldnt say the same about someone who studied hard for exampe.

There are no guys who are obsessed with the gym because anyone with any knowledge only goes there for like 5 hours a week.

obsessed was said with negative connotations in my opinion

i just think people are more biased because looks are involved, something to think about anyway.
Reply 68
Because they've taken so much steroids from an external source (something which is used to make testosterone, which is a steriod sex hormone) their body's start to drastically reduce the amount of testosterone it produces, (hence the noticably small penis in comparison to the whole body).
In addition, the whole endocrine system (which results in problems in androgen production). All in all, this causes severe and often permanent erectile dysfunction.

Moral of the story: Don't take steriods kids, makes you hench but useless else where.

the penis doesnt shrink

it would looks smaller because their bodies are twice the size as a normal guy *facepalm*
Reply 69
Original post by g36c
She implied that any guys who are dedicated to the gym are obsessed whereas she wouldnt say the same about someone who studied hard for exampe.

There are no guys who are obsessed with the gym because anyone with any knowledge only goes there for like 5 hours a week.

obsessed was said with negative connotations in my opinion

i just think people are more biased because looks are involved, something to think about anyway.

she said its bad to be obsessed. it is. you are the one who linked it to thinking anyone with any dedication is obsessed. I think you have a chip on your shoulder and are getting defensive for no reason.

"because anyone with any knowedge" doesn't follow as a reason to support "there are no guys who are obsessed" plenty of people have little to no knowlage

and yes of course obsessed was used with negative connotations it generally is.

I don't care what someone is obsessed with if I think they cross the line from being dedicated to it to being obsessed with it then I will find that an unattractive trait.
Reply 70
Original post by boba
she said its bad to be obsessed. it is. you are the one who linked it to thinking anyone with any dedication is obsessed. I think you have a chip on your shoulder and are getting defensive for no reason.

"because anyone with any knowedge" doesn't follow as a reason to support "there are no guys who are obsessed" plenty of people have little to no knowlage

and yes of course obsessed was used with negative connotations it generally is.

I don't care what someone is obsessed with if I think they cross the line from being dedicated to it to being obsessed with it then I will find that an unattractive trait.

fair enough, your opinion.

personally i admire someone who gives their all to achieve a goal, no matter what that goal is. which btw is also a turn on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by g36c
the penis doesnt shrink

it would looks smaller because their bodies are twice the size as a normal guy *facepalm*

:facepalm: yourself :cheeky:

Please quote where I said the penis shrinks.
I said 'hence the noticably small penis in comparison to the whole body'.
Reply 72
Neither my boyfriend nor I know where the nearest gym is :colonhash:

We do know where the nearest park is though! :awesome:

Spoiler

Reply 73
No, it's not, as long as they're not fat, all is good.
Original post by g36c
wow, what a fail of logic.

Not at all, using extremes as examples only works in philosophy. But in fact, I believe that most people would agree: it's better to be with an ordinary-looking man that you can have conversations with (thus intelligence) than to be with an amazing looking guy who is only interested in how many hours he spends at the gym.
Reply 75
Original post by EonBlueApocalypse
Let me guess you've never been in a gym and are very insecure about your body?

I have been to the gym quite a number of times actually. I just prefer to do a sport or something to keep fit...like swimming or athletics. I'm not insecure about my body...I just don't find vain guys attractive e.g. if they're always doing their hair or, in this instant, obsessed with the gym.
Reply 76
Original post by g36c
yes looking better is one of the perks of gaining muscle but thats not its sole purpose.

People go to the gym to build up their body or gain strength, how is that different than playing good music? people have a goal of having the best body they can get or as big as they can get and dont care if people think it looks or not.

so someone doing something they enjoy = vain.

dont be biased just because looks comes into the equation.

thats the same reason why fat people arent looked down upon as the same as smokers. in the end you are the one who is placing so much value on looks.

if you arent dedicated at what you do then dont bother doing them, going to the gym and half assing it achieves nothing.

edit: 1 more point... i want the best car i can get

i want the best body i can get ... how are these different?

I'm not being biased about anything. This question is asking about looks, so I gave an opinion. I happen not to be attracted to vain guys...guys who constantly check their hair and - in this context - always talk about muscle building programs and are constantly going to the gym.

Perhaps you go to the gym and really enjoy it - that's great. Maybe that's why you're going on at me about it.
I don't have a problem if people want to be fitter etc. and I understand it takes dedication. However, this question wasn't asking about people's hobbies and the person wasn't expressing any desire to become fitter. He was asking if people would find him unattractive if he didn't go to the gym...To me if someone who was only going to the gym to 'get the ladies' then I would find that unattractive as he is only doing it for his looks - which could (depending on the degree) be described as vain.
If someone enjoys going to the gym, and wants to become more muscular, then I'm all for it! That will require dedication.
Reply 77
Original post by Bude8
As title says. I was just wondering about this and I thought it would be good to ask TSR.

of course not. :confused: A natural guy if healthy looking is so much more attractive to me than one who has big arms and a tiny waist and wears a T shirt which is two sizes too small for him. A guy who spends his life saying 'ooh I did 200 press ups today' or 'I need to work my arms and my back' :rolleyes: just makes me laugh. I prefer my guys healthy and natural :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by SarahJaneL
I'm not being biased about anything. This question is asking about looks, so I gave an opinion. I happen not to be attracted to vain guys...guys who constantly check their hair and - in this context - always talk about muscle building programs and are constantly going to the gym.

Perhaps you go to the gym and really enjoy it - that's great. Maybe that's why you're going on at me about it.
I don't have a problem if people want to be fitter etc. and I understand it takes dedication. However, this question wasn't asking about people's hobbies and the person wasn't expressing any desire to become fitter. He was asking if people would find him unattractive if he didn't go to the gym...To me if someone who was only going to the gym to 'get the ladies' then I would find that unattractive as he is only doing it for his looks - which could (depending on the degree) be described as vain.
If someone enjoys going to the gym, and wants to become more muscular, then I'm all for it! That will require dedication.

i agree on guys who go to the gym just to 'get the ladies' but they are the ones who usually quit.

anyway its your opinion but i think you have the wrong idea about most guys who are dedicated to training as most dont have the intentions that you think they have.

plus its normal for guys to talk about their hobbies. eg muscle building programs
(edited 11 years ago)
Complete turn off. I spend a lot of time in the gym so that I look good, and I expect the same from a man. If they are active then I don't mind but I will never date a couch potato. Skinny fat, fat or skinny men are not attractive. I'm not expecting a muscle man, but I expect them to be lean at least.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending