The Student Room Group

I'm 19, will I ever grow taller?

Okay, this must get asked a lot but I'm now obsessed about my height for some reason.
I'm currently 169 centimeters tall, male, 19, Asian. I feel so short! Every time I go to lectures or even walk around university, about 80% of the girls are taller than me, which is so intimidating.

Right now I'm eating as much as I can to try and grow and also lifting heavy weights (I heard lifting weights stunts your growth, should I stop?). I measured myself at the start of this year and see that I've only grown 1 cm.
Is that it? Will I not grow anymore? Is there anything that I can do to help me grow, like eating lots and stuff?

Scroll to see replies

no, probably not, sorry. how tall are your parents/grandparents?
Reply 2
doubt it, 5 and a half feet isn't too bad, just wear some shoes with heals or something
Original post by 1st Love
I heard lifting weights stunts your growth, should I stop?

I've never seen any evidence to suggest this is true. Eating a lot won't make you taller either. It's just something you have to get over mate, sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay, this must get asked a lot but I'm now obsessed about my height for some reason.
I'm currently 169 centimeters tall, male, 19, Asian. I feel so short! Every time I go to lectures or even walk around university, about 80% of the girls are taller than me, which is so intimidating.

Right now I'm eating as much as I can to try and grow and also lifting heavy weights (I heard lifting weights stunts your growth, should I stop?). I measured myself at the start of this year and see that I've only grown 1 cm.
Is that it? Will I not grow anymore? Is there anything that I can do to help me grow, like eating lots and stuff?

Arnold Schwarznegger started lifting weights at the age of 14 and he grew to 6ft3-anecdotal I know but scientifically as well there's no evidence to suggest it stunts growth!
Reply 5
Original post by Bellissima
no, probably not, sorry. how tall are your parents/grandparents?

Um, dad is about 170cm. Mum is about 160cm.
Grandparents - I don't really know, maybe both of them about 160 as well.

Well that sucks. I really do want to grow taller, and it's so disappointing being the shortest when you're in a group of boys and girls. I don't know if there's anything I can do to grow taller, but I see the people that eat lots are usually taller (and fatter) and so I'm eating lots and drinking lots of milk. But, it's probably too late :frown:
Eating as much as you can only helps your growth if you're a child. At 19 your eating habits won't affect your growth. You'll grow a tiny little bit until you're about 21-22, but it won't be very noticeable (maybe another centimeter or so).

Edit: oh and according to the research my lecturer does, it seems like the reason for your parents' height is not necessarily genetic. Asian people in the UK are far taller than their parents the more successive generations they stay here. This does NOT imply evolution because evolution on this scale would take thousands of years.

They think it has to do with nutrition and stress. However, those are still not the only factors because if an Asian child was grown in the UK from birth, they would still be taller than their Asian families in Asia but shorter than everyone else in the UK. So they think it has something to do with the conditions in the mother's uterus, because after about 5 generations the height seems to about match the height of the population of that country.
(edited 11 years ago)
You probably won't grow any more. I haven't grown since I was 14, and I remain shorter than the rest of my family and the bottom 2% for female height!

Can't say my height bothers me much, but at least people have stopped telling me (at the age of 20) that I'll probably have a growth spurt!
Um, dad is about 170cm. Mum is about 160cm.
Grandparents - I don't really know, maybe both of them about 160 as well.

Well that sucks. I really do want to grow taller, and it's so disappointing being the shortest when you're in a group of boys and girls. I don't know if there's anything I can do to grow taller, but I see the people that eat lots are usually taller (and fatter) and so I'm eating lots and drinking lots of milk. But, it's probably too late :frown:

then no, it's unlikely you'll grow much taller.
Reply 9
Only a fair bit, probably not much.

I use to one of the tallest in primary school, then secondary school up until year9 where a lot of lads were taller then me. :frown:
Reply 10
Asian genetikz man..
Only legs lengthening surgery can get you taller then you are now, but it's painfully if you can handle that.
Reply 12
Original post by bengalisoldier
Only legs lengthening surgery can get you taller then you are now, but it's painfully if you can handle that.
Not to mention EXTREMELY risky...

OP, you're 19. Unless you're a really late bloomer, it's unlikely you'll grow even half a cm more. Height isn't everything bro. Confidence is more important.
Reply 13
169 and proud. B)
thats not too bad mate, and perhaps you may grow until you're 21, but I'm 5'8 and have no problems, and surely 5'6 aint too bad
i am 5foot 6inches and wish i was small !! in my family everyone is shorter than me which is weird , BTW i am a asian girl age 16 so i hope i do grow taller or no asian lad will will want get married to me...lol :biggrin:
Men don't stop growing until they're 21, some even say well into mid-20's. There is definitely still the possibility of growth, but the chances are it will be 2/3 inches max. Don't listen to the generalists. It depends on your personal situation, genetics etc. Did you have a growth spurt, or did you just maintain steady growth throughout adolescence? If the latter, there is a stronger chance you will take a couple more inches. I'm holding out for 3 more inches between 18 and 21 so I can hit 6'1.
Hi guys,

Ive just turned 18 and i am also asian male. I am 5ft 5 (165cm) but i really want to reach 5ft 7 (170cm) is it possible for me to grow?

Note: i have grown fairly recently since i grew 2 inches last 6-7 months.

My dad is 1 inch taller than me and i have exceeded my mum.

Thanks
Just out of curiosity did you grow?
Original post by Koreaboo
Just out of curiosity did you grow?

He probably didn't

Latest