The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Most people at uni aim for at least a 2:1....naturally you're going to be disappointed and disheartened if you get a 2:2, and you wouldn't feel the need to tell people.
If you aim for a 2:2 and get one you'd be proud but not many do; uni is for academia and if you're aiming to get less than 60% like its a GCSE subject you don't enjoy, but you need to pass, then I'm not sure university is for you.

I wouldn't be proud because I'd had missed my targets.
Original post by sharp910sh
A 2.2 is rubbish, 2.2 are for people who do not work. One should aim for at least 80%.

Most jobs asks for a 2.1 minimum. So no point being proud without a job.

I am doing 5 year degree and need 58% in my final year to get a first... just saying.

Rofl, please tell me all about this 5 year degree that you're aiming to average 80% at :smile:
Original post by Architecture-er
I could try and say some middle-ground statement that is received favourably from the TSR population, but in all honesty... no.

A 1st is for the true high-fliers, a 2.1 is for those who worked hard and knew their stuff, but a 2.2 is too low to be attributed to a 'bad year', and at university we should rise to the occasion and perform as our degree expects, regardless of its difficulty (or lack thereof).

What this guy said. If I'd tried my absolute best and still only managed a 2.2 my general feeling is that maybe I wasn't god enough for uni in the first place, the only exception would be if something went wrong in your life ie illness or death in the family.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Rofl, please tell me all about this 5 year degree that you're aiming to average 80% at :smile:

I am aiming for 90%, so if i fail and get 80%, I am sorted. Work hard play high. HR people will put you in the preferential pile if you have a good degree. It will not get you the job, no. But will aid you to get an interview.

What is the point aiming low, and then complaining. I study structural engineering, it is not easy. But I work.

Getting a 2.2 is for people who did not work, or had some illness. I have friends who parents have died and they are still getting 2.1.

You only get once chance of a degree. A masters does not override a poor undergraduate degree.
Reply 44
The thing is I'm doing a degree in Drama and you don't even need a degree to become an actor...I have Aspergers as well and im constantly told that most people didn't even think I could get into University so getting in was quite big for me.

Everyone else in my family who has been to Uni has got a 2.1 and I got a 2.1 in my first year but so far in my second year I have only got a 58 in a group presentation...we all got marked as a group...one girl in my group left it til the last minute and rushed her work.

I always try my hardest and I am aiming for a 2.1

Getting a 2.2 is for people who did not work, or had some illness. I have friends who parents have died and they are still getting 2.1.

I know some very intelligent people in Cambridge who worked hard and still got a 2.2
Reply 46
Original post by Mrx123
Would You Be Proud of A 2.2 Degree? If you had tried your best?

If I'd suffered real adversity and still managed to get a 2.2 I'd be proud yeah. Like I dunno, had my arms and legs blown off and my cat had died. I don't think you should ridicule or look down on people with a 2.2 or with lower grades in any qualification without knowing the actual work that went into it.

That said, anyone without any serious significant circumstances should be able to get a 2.1 or above in a subject which they have chosen presumably because it is what they are best at. Part of the reason why it can be difficult to get a job with a 2.2. So as I am now I'll probably be really disappointed if I end up with a 2.2
I am aiming for 90%, so if i fail and get 80%, I am sorted. Work hard play high. HR people will put you in the preferential pile if you have a good degree. It will not get you the job, no. But will aid you to get an interview.

What is the point aiming low, and then complaining. I study structural engineering, it is not easy. But I work.

You only get once chance of a degree. A masters does not override a poor undergraduate degree.

What university is this at? :smile:
A 2.2 is rubbish, 2.2 are for people who do not work. One should aim for at least 80%.

Most jobs asks for a 2.1 minimum. So no point being proud without a job.

I am doing 5 year degree and need 58% in my final year to get a first... just saying.

What degree are you doing?
Reply 49
Original post by Shomberlon
What degree are you doing?

Structural engineering MEng.
Reply 50
What university is this at? :smile:

Sheffield.
Reply 51
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I know some very intelligent people in Cambridge who worked hard and still got a 2.2

Well they are not up for Cambridge then.
Well they are not up for Cambridge then.

In certain subjects, around 20% of the cohort get a 2.2 every year.

(One such subject is Engineering, and therefore I find it bizarre that you say that at Sheffield for Engineering, the only people who get 2.2s are those who don't work. As I say, in Cambridge engineering, I know people working very hard getting 2.2s, and they are obviously intelligent given the entry procedure and competitiveness.)
With the fees as they are now, I definitely wouldn't be proud of it. If it is the best that person could get when they worked hard for it then perhaps uni wasn't the right choice for them. Only a personal opinion though as that is how I would see it if it were me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sheffield.

Cool, all the best then!

Though fyi, you're not doing a 5 year degree, you're doing a 5 year combined Bachelors and Masters :p: - and don't get too cocky, I was hitting ~85% on my first year exams but it's not plain sailing forever
Reply 55
Original post by Chief Wiggum
In certain subjects, around 20% of the cohort get a 2.2 every year.

(One such subject is Engineering, and therefore I find it bizarre that you say that at Sheffield for Engineering, the only people who get 2.2s are those who don't work. As I say, in Cambridge engineering, I know people working very hard getting 2.2s, and they are obviously intelligent given the entry procedure and competitiveness.)

Well intelligence when you are 18/17 will change when you get older and how you study. When I was doing A levels, I messed around getting low grades ABB. I then realised at university there is no messing around if you want to get a good degree.

A levels are completely different that studying a degree. I know many people who got their straight A's who are on borderline 2.2- 2.1. Again, I know people who have worked hard from a levels and are getting firsts.

Just because one got into Cambridge does not mean they are intelligent 2-3 years into their degree. If they are getting low marks while their peers are getting high marks, something is not right. You cannot just brag about the university.
Reply 56
Cool, all the best then!

Though fyi, you're not doing a 5 year degree, you're doing a 5 year combined Bachelors and Masters :p: - and don't get too cocky, I was hitting ~85% on my first year exams but it's not plain sailing forever

Its not a combined bachelor and master in that respect. Its still an undergraduate degree with a year placement, hence 5 years.

First year is a walk in the park. But keep it up. It only gets harder.
(edited 11 years ago)
I would be satisfied with a 2:2, however I think I could achieve a 2:1 or with some luck a first and would be extremely proud of either of those.

EDIT: What's with the negs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by dean01234
I would be satisfied with a 2:2, however I think I could achieve a 2:1 or with some luck a first and would be extremely proud of either of those.

I feel same
You have to still remember that you got into uni, worked so very hard for your place and through the years there, that alone is surely something you should be proud of. However i suppose it depends on the situation and what led you to get a 2.2, maybe i would be content with it I'm not sure

Latest

Trending

Trending