The Student Room Group

Of these courses, which one is the less competitive at UCL?

Bsc Economics with Statistics.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/ubeecoasta05

Statistics, Economics and Finance - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/ubsstassef08

Statistics, Economics and a Language - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/degrees-1314/ubsstassel08

Like, if am applying now?
Got rejected for pure Economics. I want to knock again.
Grateful for any kind help.
Reply 2
No one? :frown:
Reply 3
every course is competitive brah
Reply 4
Original post by YLIA

Yes, but with varying degrees.

I'd applied for Accounting and Finance last year after the deadline. They accepted me.

But now, my personal statement is Economics-tailored. So, not so sure what to choose...
Reply 5
No UCL student here? Perhaps you'd know better.
To be honest, no UCL student is going to know how competitive the courses are. We're already here, what do we care? :P

And the admissions offices are just going to tell you that because your personal statement is tailored towards pure economics, you haven't got any chance to get offers from the other courses since you haven't shown any interest in them.
Reply 7
Original post by Mother_Russia
To be honest, no UCL student is going to know how competitive the courses are. We're already here, what do we care? :P

And the admissions offices are just going to tell you that because your personal statement is tailored towards pure economics, you haven't got any chance to get offers from the other courses since you haven't shown any interest in them.

The bad part... true.
Reply 8
just taking a swing here, but i'd say the language option is probably going to be less competitive?
i don't know many people interested in statistics and a language - it is a 'unique' combination lol.

but the others all have economics in the course title, so bar economics with statistics, the
difference between the other 2 will be negligible
Reply 9
Original post by AK.tsr
just taking a swing here, but i'd say the language option is probably going to be less competitive?
i don't know many people interested in statistics and a language - it is a 'unique' combination lol.

but the others all have economics in the course title, so bar economics with statistics, the
difference between the other 2 will be negligible

Thank you for the reply+ :smile:

Well, I thought that too, but then... it's possible they take 1-2 students for this course?
Just to put it out there.

The economics and business with east European studies course at ucl is actually more competitive to the straight economics course. There are less spaces but proportionally more people apply because they think they have a better chance for it. They couldn't be more wrong.
Original post by YLIA

not all...

e.g BBB offers for chemistry my application year >.<
Original post by a.partridge
not all...

e.g BBB offers for chemistry my application year >.<

It may just mean they really wanted the candidate. A medic I know got offered ABB.
Original post by Mother_Russia
It may just mean they really wanted the candidate. A medic I know got offered ABB.

No... pretty widespread. I didn't hear of anyone getting offered higher than AAB.

I didn't do anything particularly amazing in the interview.

It's just not a first class place for every single subject is all
Reply 14
That's not helping me decide... :/
Are you planning to apply to single honours econ at UCL? if so then applying for one of these similar courses is a waste of a choice on your UCAS form. apply to straight econ, once your application is processed by UCAS write to UCL explaining that you're very keen on attending UCL and also have an interest in subjects x, y, z and IF you're unsuccessful for econ then could you be considered for alternate courses prior to any rejection.
Reply 16
Original post by PQ
Are you planning to apply to single honours econ at UCL? if so then applying for one of these similar courses is a waste of a choice on your UCAS form. apply to straight econ, once your application is processed by UCAS write to UCL explaining that you're very keen on attending UCL and also have an interest in subjects x, y, z and IF you're unsuccessful for econ then could you be considered for alternate courses prior to any rejection.

I already got a rejection for pure Eco.
Original post by Destination
That's not helping me decide... :/

No. But I think what we're getting at is....because your personal statement is only tailored towards economics, you only want to study pure economics. SO your best bet is to apply for pure economics at other universities.

Having said that, PQ has a very good idea. If your heart is really set on UCL. (Moreso than economics), take a year out and apply again :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Destination
I already got a rejection for pure Eco.

SO ring them up and ask them to consider you for the other courses - there's no need to use up one of your choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending