The Student Room Group

Been sent a letter for cervical screening...

... and I'm really completely terrified :frown:

I'm a virgin, 21 and a lot more worried about the whole procedure. I hear it really hurts if you're a virgin. I am completely terrified of something 'touching' me there which is why I still haven't had sex. I'm just sitting here crying just thinking about it, but I know that my mum's going to keep pestering me to get it done until I eventually go. As I have a boyfriend she will never believe that I'm a virgin anyway.

I don't even know if virgins need cervical screening; I've just been sent the letter as part of procedure I think. I don't know what to do. How bad does it hurt and will I need to go for a screening if I've never been properly sexually active?
Reply 1
First of all, are you sure it's for a cervical screening? It's women between the ages of 25-64 who are eligible for free tests. However, if it is for a cervical screening, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. It may be slightly uncomfortable but not painful. Thirdly, millions of women have them done every 3-5 years and it can detect changes which could be dangerous in the future, so it could save your life.

And finally:

"If a woman has never been sexually active, then the research evidence shows that her chance of developing cervical cancer is very low indeed. We do not say no risk, only very low risk. In these circumstances, a woman might choose to decline the invitation for cervical screening on this occasion. If a woman is not currently sexually active but has been in the past, then we would recommend that she continues screening."

So there's no need to panic.
Original post by rachel.h

If she's in Scotland the age for screening is lower than it currently is in England. I was invited when I turned 20.

OP don't worry - if you explain to the nurse before hand that you are nervous they will totally understand. They don't ask you anything personal so you won't have to tell them you're a virgin. You can just tell them you've never had a speculum in before and I'm sure they will take the procedure as slow as they can for you. You're in control.

It doesn't hurt, it just feels a little cold and then you can feel them taking the swab, just like a small prod. It's really nothing :smile:
I don't think you need to go if you havent been sexually active, I got asked by the nurse just beforehand.
Ive just checked the leaflet and it says if your over 65 and have never been active to check with your doctor if you need one or not, but it doesnt make it very clear what happens if your younger than that!
Perhaps you could pop to the doctors and ask for a quick word with the nurse to check?
I was in the same position a few years ago. My doctor said there was little point in having it done because the chances of having anything are low if you're a virgin. In saying that, if you've used tampons or fingers, then it shouldn't be uncomfortable but I would mention beforehand that you're nervous.
In Wales the age is 20 as well. Anyway, don't be worried. As you aren't sexually active, its unlikely that anything would come back. However, cervical screening is a healthy habit to get in to and you may as well start now. It doesn't hurt, it may be a little bit uncomfortable but when I had it done it lasted maybe 15 seconds. However, if you are too tense or nervous when you go in, it will hurt even more because everything will tighten. So, just try to relax :smile:
Don't worry about it, it lasts for a less than a minute and you're out in no time.

A quick question for those who seem to know about these things.. when it says that you could decline the test if you're a virgin.. if you've had only protected sex (ie with a condom) are you still at risk? Because afaik there's no exchange of bacteria etc then. A bit random I know, but a friend of mine was told couldn't have the vaccine as she was sexually active, even though she's always used a condom.
Original post by Anonymous
... and I'm really completely terrified :frown:

I'm a virgin, 21 and a lot more worried about the whole procedure. I hear it really hurts if you're a virgin. I am completely terrified of something 'touching' me there which is why I still haven't had sex. I'm just sitting here crying just thinking about it, but I know that my mum's going to keep pestering me to get it done until I eventually go. As I have a boyfriend she will never believe that I'm a virgin anyway.

I don't even know if virgins need cervical screening; I've just been sent the letter as part of procedure I think. I don't know what to do. How bad does it hurt and will I need to go for a screening if I've never been properly sexually active?

Hi :smile:

I'm 21 and had the cervical screening done about 6 months ago when I was 20. I was quite nervous about it, but it was fine. It was only a little bit uncomfortable, only lasted a minute or so and I was in no pain whatsoever afterwards. The nurses who do the screening do it all the time, so they know what they're doing and how to treat you/what to say.

Cervical screening also has nothing to do with whether you're a virgin or not, as far as I know. The cells in your cervix can change whether or not you have had sex. And this test is to check whether they have changed.

I would definitely suggest that you go. Honestly it is not pain it's just a weird kind of discomfort.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Don't worry about it, it lasts for a less than a minute and you're out in no time.

A quick question for those who seem to know about these things.. when it says that you could decline the test if you're a virgin.. if you've had only protected sex (ie with a condom) are you still at risk? Because afaik there's no exchange of bacteria etc then. A bit random I know, but a friend of mine was told couldn't have the vaccine as she was sexually active, even though she's always used a condom.

It's not to do with being sexually active or not.
It's to do with the cells of your cervix. These can alter whether you've had sex or not.

Just re-read this though and are you talking about the vaccine rather than the screening? I had the vaccine at 17 or 18 even though I had had sex before.
Reply 9
Original post by BabyGirl92
It's not to do with being sexually active or not.
It's to do with the cells of your cervix. These can alter whether you've had sex or not.

Just re-read this though and are you talking about the vaccine rather than the screening? I had the vaccine at 17 or 18 even though I had had sex before.

Cervical cancer is vanishingly rare in virgins, because it's nearly always caused by the HPV virus, which is sexually transmitted (but can be caught by any sexual contact so there is technically a risk even if you've always used condoms). I was told I didn't need to go when I was first invited because I wasn't sexually active, but other places may vary.

OP, you can always ask the nurse if you need it when you go. Although it is embarrassing, I would actually tell them you are a virgin, as there is a smaller speculum which they use for virgins, which would make it less painful.
I've just had my first one and wasn't asked anything about being a virgin or my sexual activity. Although I was nervous about it, I would absolutely suggest having it done because you never know what could be happening and its always best to find out! It can't have lasted more than 30 seconds, and yes it was slightly uncomfortable, but wasn't painful at all! Book that appointment!
Hi I'm 32 years old, and I've just been sent a letter for my smear test and my partner and I have never been sexual active before I live with my Dad and my brother in Carlisle and my partner lives in Skegness. I've also got engaged to my partner this year after being asked to marry him and it's a 4 year engagement which is very exhallent news. After doing the smear test from last year I'm thinking not to go through the screening test after finding it painful and uncomfortable. What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest