The Student Room Group

Guys, what size rucksack should i get?

ok, so, I have a camping trip for 3 days and 2 nights for Bronze Duke of Edinburgh and i don't have a rucksack. The required rucksack size is between 60-70 ltrs but i also have another trip following it which is a 12 day trip to Gairloch where i will need a 75 ltr rucksack.

So, my local outdoor military shop, LAS outdoors, they sell 66 ltr rucksacks and 88 ltr rucksacks but have nothing in between...

The one that i quite like is this http://www.lasoutdoors.com/partnumber.asp?cid=30928&pnid=389195

But do you guys think an extra 13 ltrs of space would be too big?

trolling users are not allowed, jus' sayin'
Have you got time to order online? There are a lot on Amazon and you'd be able to get a 75 on there! 88 could be handy though. Depends what you'll be taking and whether you'll use it often... You might like the extra space.
Original post by katehlouise
Have you got time to order online? There are a lot on Amazon and you'd be able to get a 75 on there! 88 could be handy though. Depends what you'll be taking and whether you'll use it often... You might like the extra space.
no, i don't think i'll have time, i'll have to walk in the shop and buy straight from the till.

I'll be taking alot of stuff like, thermal underwear, fleeces, tent, socks, lots of food, towels, trousers, toilet paper (lol), jackets, cutlery, plates and the lot goes on.
Reply 5
i doubt you'll need a 75L one either way... theyre big bulky and if you fill it weigh a bloody tonne! you shouldnt need more than a 60L at the most, after all you can lash anything that doesnt fit to the side.
Reply 6

LOL for 15 pounds. A plastic carrier bag can hold more than that
Original post by transformersone
ok, so, I have a camping trip for 3 days and 2 nights for Bronze Duke of Edinburgh and i don't have a rucksack. The required rucksack size is between 60-70 ltrs but i also have another trip following it which is a 12 day trip to Gairloch where i will need a 75 ltr rucksack.

So, my local outdoor military shop, LAS outdoors, they sell 66 ltr rucksacks and 88 ltr rucksacks but have nothing in between...

The one that i quite like is this http://www.lasoutdoors.com/partnumber.asp?cid=30928&pnid=389195

But do you guys think an extra 13 ltrs of space would be too big?

I did bronze in a 25l cause I am hardcore like that, I also did gold in a 42l, you will find that just because you are going for 12 days you won't need that much more stuff than for say five days because cooking stuff, thermals etc take up the same amount of space however many days you are using them for, the only things that will increase are underwear and food, but are you carrying all your food for 12 days of buying along the way.

Tbh I would recommend a 60l rucksack and pack it tight, the further the weight is outside your body the worse it is to carry so it is way more comfy to walk with a densely packed small rucksack than a loosely packed big one.
Original post by dotty_but_good
I did bronze in a 25l cause I am hardcore like that, I also did gold in a 42l, you will find that just because you are going for 12 days you won't need that much more stuff than for say five days because cooking stuff, thermals etc take up the same amount of space however many days you are using them for, the only things that will increase are underwear and food, but are you carrying all your food for 12 days of buying along the way.

Tbh I would recommend a 60l rucksack and pack it tight, the further the weight is outside your body the worse it is to carry so it is way more comfy to walk with a densely packed small rucksack than a loosely packed big one.

oh no, i don't think a densely packed rucksack is better than a loosely packed big one.... anyways, i decided to buy the 88 ltr rucksack, i'm pretty sure extra space won't hurt at all. If there is anything that a 88 ltr can do is give you extra space just incase.
Reply 9
Think of it as if you was flying at the airport take what you need: So like food you can share between everyones bags, Trangia, tents, you can share between bags then you just need Clothes so just take to lots of clothes and wear the same clothes for the expedtion and change before you come back, then waterproofs,sleeping bag would go inside and camping mat on outside so, I would say 50 litres is enough for bronze and about 70l for Gold as it's a 4days 3night thing so i would say bring 3lots clothes
Can I ask why your doing bronze in that amount of time? You only have to do 1 night and 2 days :tongue:

And I had a 60l rucksack I think (or thereabout)

Posted from the TSR app on iPhone 5
Original post by transformersone
oh no, i don't think a densely packed rucksack is better than a loosely packed big one.... anyways, i decided to buy the 88 ltr rucksack, i'm pretty sure extra space won't hurt at all. If there is anything that a 88 ltr can do is give you extra space just incase.

The only trouble with a bigger bag is that you might pack extra things that you don't really need.

I made do with 65l on my Gold DofE but I'm pretty good at keeping it minimalist.

I'm sure a big bag will come in useful on future trips though, I'm looking at getting an enormous one for my summer adventures.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending