The Student Room Group

If I buy a walking sticks will I get weird looks?

Basically I am 36 years old and I need support when walking. My foot hurts and I have to limp. If I buy and use a walking stick will I get funny looks?
Reply 1
You'll probably get more funny looks if you're limping around holding onto random things for support.
If you need to use something, use it.
Original post by Peter100121
Basically I am 36 years old and I need support when walking. My foot hurts and I have to limp. If I buy and use a walking stick will I get funny looks?

To be honest, initially some people may wonder why you’ve started using a walking stick all of a sudden; it’s like getting glasses at school- it’s a change and some people will respond to such. But shortly after that, it’ll be normal- nothing to be worried about.

I suggest you see a doctor/ podiatrist if you haven’t for your foot problem. They can probably find the root of your problem and can treat it so you can walk without pain again.
Reply 3
No. I had a walking stick on a temporary basis, as I had foot issues and was waiting for orthopaedic surgery. Friends asked what was wrong, but it's not uncommon for younger people to use a stick. Also, I found people were courteous and gave me a bit more space and time to do things.

I got a collapsible one so I could put it out of the way, eg in a rucksack or under a seat, when travelling by bus or train.

As above, do seek medical help. If you are limping you compensate in other ways and it throws you out. I'd been walking badly for so long that I had problems on the opposite side of my body once I'd had the surgery and struggled with muscle pain for a while.
Reply 4
Thanks I am going through my doctor but it just take time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending