The Student Room Group

Blepharitis ruining my life.

Has anyone got any tips for this? It's ruining everything! I can't wear any eye make up or anything near my eyes, I'm now struggling with contact lenses, in the past month it's flared up conjunctivitis and a stye, I constantly look like I've been crying. I've tried eye washes, eye drops, cold compresses , nothing does anything long term... Anyone got any tips? This is how my eyes look:

image.jpg
image.jpg
Original post by insignificant
Has anyone got any tips for this? It's ruining everything! I can't wear any eye make up or anything near my eyes, I'm now struggling with contact lenses, in the past month it's flared up conjunctivitis and a stye, I constantly look like I've been crying. I've tried eye washes, eye drops, cold compresses , nothing does anything long term... Anyone got any tips? This is how my eyes look:

image.jpg
image.jpg

My optician suggested baby shampoo and warm (cooled boiled water) compresses. Can't say it did wonders but I'm rubbish at remembering to do this stuff as often as I should, so probably my own fault it hasn't worked brilliantly.
Reply 2
Have you seen your GP? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by insignificant

image.jpg
image.jpg

This:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
My optician suggested baby shampoo and warm (cooled boiled water) compresses. Can't say it did wonders but I'm rubbish at remembering to do this stuff as often as I should, so probably my own fault it hasn't worked brilliantly.

It does work, but you've got to be consistent (atleast for a period of time). Wet a cotton bud/ball with warm water, add a drop of baby shampoo, and gently wipe your eyelid margin outwards. The problem may or may not return, but it's best to treat it to avoid discomfort.
Reply 4
There are various kinds of blepharitis. Different treatments work for different kinds. You can ask your ophthalmologist or optician which kind you have, or it may be mentioned in the letters they send your GP (in some hospitals, patients get a copy of all letters).

If you mostly have anterior blepharitis, the problem will be an allergic reaction to germs living on your eyelashes. This can lead to little oily or sandy clumps in your eyelashes. You can clean them off with cotton buds dipped in warm water with a little baby shampoo.

If the problem is posterior blepharitis, the problem is to do with the production of moisturising oils in the oil glands of your eyelids. Often the best approach is to use hot compresses: massage the eyes, closed, with a hot wet cloth for 2-3 minutes each day. Hot water from a tap is fine - there's no need to boil it. This kind of blepharitis can also be helped by tablets such as erythromycin, or doxycycline if you are over 18, on prescription. There is evidence that some fatty-acid containing foods, such as flaxseed oil may help some people with blepharitis.

Many people have both kinds of blepharitis.

Both kinds of blepharitis can be helped by lubricant eye drops. There are lots to try, and different drops may help different people. In general, thicker lubricant drops soothe your eyes for longer, but they can also blur vision more. Drops with some preservatives can't be used with contact lenses.

If you really feel that your symptoms are so bad that they are ruining your life, make sure that your ophthalmologist, GP or optician knows this, so that you can get more intensive treatment.

Hope this helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I had it for 15 years until I made an accidental discovery when I ran out of bar soap. I used the “Dial Complete” foaming hand wash to wash my face before bed. The next morning, I knew I was onto something! I put a bottle in the shower and used it after shampooing my hair because I wanted to make sure I didn’t have any shampoo residue on my face and eyelids before I got out of the shower. I also use it before bed and in the morning. It’s been 6 months now. My eyes and lids are in perfect condition and my lashes have all grown back. I really think I was misdiagnosed and was allergic to shampoo. If you don’t have Dial brand in the UK, just use an antibacterial foaming hand wash. Let us know how it worked for you.
Reply 6
Buy an MGDRx eyebag from amazon, theyre about £15 and they need replacing after a while but it works, it stays hot for 10 minutes after 50 seconds in the microwave, then use the baby shampoo and boiled water method to clean anything out of the eyes. For me, carbomer 0.2 eye gel has worked too which can be bought on amazon too, blepharitis ruins my life too, constantly battling to keep it at bay :frown: hope this helps!
Hello everybody,
I would like to share my story of how I got rid of Blepharitis within 3 weeks after suffering for 7 months.
It started in summer last year when I noticed that my left eye lid was a bit swollen. Two weeks later it was extremely red, swollen and my eyes were extremely dry. Over the following months I went to my GP, to an eye hospital in London and to several eye doctors in Germany. The diagnosis was everywhere the same: Blepharitis, probably chronic. So not much I could do apart from using warm cloths and cleaning the eye lid to keep symptoms under control. At the beginning I took antibiotics and cortisone cream. With cortisone the symptoms disappeared but as soon as I stopped using it, it was all back. It was horrible, waking up in the morning with a massive swollen left eye. I didn’t use any make up or contact lenses as I thought it might be a contact allergy. I applied honey and coconut oil to my eye. Nothing helped. The skin around my eye got worse and worse because of all the applications (warm cloths, cleaning with blephacura, etc.). I really got depressed about it and didn’t enjoy going out much. I was reading lots of forums about Blepharitis but didn’t find anything that made sense to me. I kind of gave up. Luckily my boyfriend kept encouraging me and I started researching again. I have to mention that I also have a mild form of acne. So I checked if there was a correlation. I found a forum post about Candida albicans. This got my attention. I started searching for causes and symptoms and very quickly realised this could be the reason for my suffering. Almost everybody has Candida in their gut but it can become a problem when there is some change in your body that allows it to overgrow. This change could be anything from oral contraceptives, a few courses of antibiotics, a prolonged diet rich in carbohydrates and sugar, or even something as common as a lengthy period of stress at work. I ticked every box of that. Apparently there are tests you can do in order to find out if you have a Candida overgrowth. However, I read that they are not very reliable. So I decided not to take any test but action. The only way to get rid of Candida is a strict diet combined with probiotics and anti fungal supplements over several months (there is no specific length for the diet, you will see how quickly your symptoms clear). I bought a book about the Candida diet and supplements which also included some recipes. The diet is very strict.
For example you should avoid
- Any form of sugar, including fruit sugar. So no fruits, no juices, no dried fruits, no sweets, etc.
- Yeast and wheat
- Alcohol
- And other things
- No cheese apart from cottage cheese
- Anything fungal
- Meat because animals are often fed with antibiotics (you can eat meat if you are buying it from a reliable source where you know the animals were not treated with antibiotics); Anitbiotics kill not only bad bacteria but also good bacteria. When there are not enough good bacteria bad organisms like Candida can start overgrowing
- And other things
I was reading a lot about Candida diets and realised that they vary in what you can eat and what not. I would recommend choosing one diet that makes sense to you and follow this one while ignoring others. Otherwise it might get confusing. I would definitely recommend not eating any sugar at all. You can enjoy most vegetable which are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Well, after 3 weeks following this diet, all my Blepharitis symptoms were completely gone. My skin was still quite rough around the eyes and it took about 2 months following the diet until my skin went back to normal. My skin in general looks a lot healthier. Every now and then I still get the odd spot but it is a lot less than it was before. Additionally, my energy levels went up and so did my moods. It used to take me about 15 minutes in the morning to wake up. Now the alarm rings and I am awake immediately, usually with a smile in my face. I am now following the diet for 2.5 months and enjoy every time I look into the mirror and see my healthy eyes looking at me. I also lost some weight which makes shopping nicer too I got used to not eating sugar very quickly and I don’t miss it at all. Luckily my boyfriend has joined my diet more or less. He is not as strict as me but most of the time we are eating the same stuff. He lost some weight and feels so much better. He doesn’t take any supplements as we don’t think he has the Candida.
I have read a lot about the human gut and bacteria that live in us. It is amazing stuff and hasn’t been much discovered yet. Every human being has a different composition of bacteria in their body so it is very difficult to understand how that works. However, bacteria in our gut live from what we are feeding them. So if we eat a lot of rubbish, including medications like antibiotics, we feed the bad bacteria and organisms and they start growing over the years. At some point they can cause health problems like allergies, skin problems, mood swings, depression, and the list goes on.
If you think there is a chance that you have a Candida overgrowth I would recommend searching the web for more information. There is plenty out there. Get a book with recipes, consult a nutritionist, your GP, whatever you think is right. If you follow the diet make sure you really follow it 100%. The Candida can come back very quickly.
I hope sharing my experience is helpful for some of you as much as it was helpful when I read the post of someone about the Candida 2.5 months ago. Not everybody who has blepharitis has a candida overgrowth but it is worth checking.
I wish you the best of luck for curing your blepharits. Don’t give up.
I have blepharttis and nothing could control it til I started using sensitive eye makeup remover to clean my eyelids (I tried the shampoo method for ages, and all it did was irritate my eyes, making them red and my eyelashes fall out more)

The eye makeup remover I use is this one:

http://www.nurtureskincare.co.uk/cleanse-tone/bi-phase-eye-make-up-remover/productdetail-p3197052-c3184196.aspx
Reply 9
My husband was recently diagnosed with this and it was starting to impact on his everyday life from not being able to read anymore to having trouble with driving , as we are due to drive to the Continent in a few weeks I decided to I needed to try to find something to alleviate the symptoms and quick.
First of all I am not a Doctor but this is what we did that has greatly improved things , I know that it will never completely go away ..

1 . Invested in a good pair of sunglasses.
2.Bought a pack of Blethaclean ( Boots . Amazon , any good chemist )
3. A jar of Manuka honey and cotton buds.

So the sunglasses speak for themselves . Every night he wipes his eyes thoroughly with the Blephaclean and then puts a small amount of Manuka honey on his eye lids before going to sleep ( don't worry it doesn't sting and he doesn't feel a thing , the next morning he wipes and cleans his eyes again with the Blephaclean .
He has seen a vast improvement .
I hope this helps .
>
I've suffered from this on and off since I was 8. I managed to get it to go in a couple of weeks by buying one of those packs you can put in the microwave and reheat. I did it 2 or 3 times a day and I do it whenever it looks like it's about to come back.
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that despite what doctors tell you, it IS possible to cure yourself of blepharitis!!! I am living proof!

Just to give you my story…

I started suffering about 7 years ago (I was 17). I started getting those little crusty dandruff bits on my lower eyelashes then it got worse and worse with painful little sty type things that would fill with what seemed like white puss (not nice), followed by pretty much all my lower eyelashes falling out or by me having to pull them out from where the follicles were so inflamed. Not to mention how RED it made my bottom eye lids look…so horrible!! Especially when people would ask the dreaded question ‘what’s wrong with your eyes??’ Eughhhhhhhhh!!!

The doctors said I would never be cured and would have to live with it. Absolute BS.

I did EVERYTHING to try and get rid of it from the baby shampoo cleaning, to the prescribed creams, to the gels, to the lotions but nothing seemed to really work. (Maybe because I had to carry on wearing make up for my singing work).
….The only thing that did actually make it go away was the medication doxycycline. But as soon as I stopped taking it, it would come straight back….there was no way I was gonna be taking that my whole life.. No friggin way!

I then had a conversation with a friend who had recently cut out gluten and wheat which CURED so many of her life-long skin/health problems (psoriasis, rashes, skin allergies) so amazing! After telling her my problem, she was 100% convinced that blepharitis is a big symptom of a gluten/wheat intolerance.

So after tonnes of research in to the gluten/wheat + blepharitis connection, it was just pointing massive red arrows to the cause of this horrible eye disease monster (there were so many other things I’ve had all my life that I thought were just ‘part of me’, that actually turned out to be a sign of gluten intolerance too i.e. dots/pimples on the back of my arms, bouts of depression, feeling tired quickly, spells of dizziness, feeling bloated after meals etc)

So to get the point……..I NO LONGER HAVE BLEPHARITIS after years of believing I would forever - and you don’t have to suffer anymore either! Diet really really is the cure. But doctors won’t tell you this; they work for the pharmaceutical companies who want you to keep buying their products hence never telling you the actual cure for things - the sad truth :frown:

“Let food by thy medicine”

Here’s a list of things that I’ve done on my blepharitis ridding journey, that, whether are direct reasons for it going away or not, may just help you too:

-Cut out gluten/wheat (it’s difficult but man it’s worth it)
-Being on a mainly vegan/plant based diet
-Sprinkling turmeric on pretty much everything I eat (HUGE contributor to getting rid of blepharitis)
-Sprinkling pink himalayan salt on most things I eat (absolutely magical healing type of salt)

…And just generally taking care of myself more - going to the gym regularly, yoga, meditation and giving myself a little more love you know? Our negative emotions and self-hatred can definitely impact these things too. I would recommend trying all the above for at least 6 months and see if it works for you. It’s not easy, but it’s so worth it. You deserve to feel good and shine your beauty out to the world :smile: not hide away because of some completely unnecessary crusty eye crap.

Please please feel free to email me if you want to know anymore or just want some support… I’ve totally been there in the deepest darkest depths of blepharitis and am more than happy to help you get through it too.

livefromtheheart “at” hotmail.co.uk

Lots of light and light !
Amelia
X
Reply 12
Over last 5 years I have been suffering with Blepharitis. I had tried different eye drops my GP has suggested. After different treatments my GP had come to a conclusion & even myself that my condition is not due to any bacterial or viral infection to eyes but it is do with ALLERGIES.

I am an Indian & an UK resident as well. I have observed that during the summer season in UK and also during my holidays in India my eyes are in very bad state swollen, itchy, greasy water running on my eyes blurring the vision and I narrowly missed an accident while driving because of this.

I have done all the ‘routine’ things done to reduce the inflammation like daily eye care of washing with shampoo etc. but nothing worked as there is no particular treatment anywhere for Blepharitis.
I looked for old Indian 'Ayurveda’ guidance for treatment to eye allergies. The first thing I came across is to change diet. To follow it I did the following:

Reduce/avoid Alcohol and Caffeine intake

Reduce ‘added’ sugar foods (Cakes, pastries, chocolates etc.)

Avoid all the dairy products (Milk, yoghurt, cheese, butter etc.)

Avoid bananas

Increase your daily water intake

Eat more vegetables. Especially dark green and leafy vegetables.

Include Onions, garlic, ginger in your diet

After following the above diet I should say that my eyes are back to normal as they were 6 years back. It has been three months now and I don’t see any symptoms. I am yet to use Sodium Chromoglicate 2% prescribed by my GP for eye allegies.
Hope this solution works for you guys. I am going for a holiday to India now and need to see how my eyes will behave!
Original post by naveen25
Over last 5 years I have been suffering with Blepharitis. I had tried different eye drops my GP has suggested. After different treatments my GP had come to a conclusion & even myself that my condition is not due to any bacterial or viral infection to eyes but it is do with ALLERGIES.

I am an Indian & an UK resident as well. I have observed that during the summer season in UK and also during my holidays in India my eyes are in very bad state swollen, itchy, greasy water running on my eyes blurring the vision and I narrowly missed an accident while driving because of this.

I have done all the ‘routine’ things done to reduce the inflammation like daily eye care of washing with shampoo etc. but nothing worked as there is no particular treatment anywhere for Blepharitis.
I looked for old Indian 'Ayurveda’ guidance for treatment to eye allergies. The first thing I came across is to change diet. To follow it I did the following:

Reduce/avoid Alcohol and Caffeine intake

Reduce ‘added’ sugar foods (Cakes, pastries, chocolates etc.)

Avoid all the dairy products (Milk, yoghurt, cheese, butter etc.)

Avoid bananas

Increase your daily water intake

Eat more vegetables. Especially dark green and leafy vegetables.

Include Onions, garlic, ginger in your diet

After following the above diet I should say that my eyes are back to normal as they were 6 years back. It has been three months now and I don’t see any symptoms. I am yet to use Sodium Chromoglicate 2% prescribed by my GP for eye allegies.
Hope this solution works for you guys. I am going for a holiday to India now and need to see how my eyes will behave!

It should be kept in mind that this apparent improvement may have coincided with falls in pollen count for the plant that you are allergic to.
Just wanted to share my experience. I had blepharitis for a few months, toward the end got worse with pus pimples, eyelashes falling out etc. Like most people I was going crazy.. really affecting my life.

I tried the shampoo, cleaning sprays, hot compresses; none worked. I went to a doctor in Philly who specializes in this. She gave me an injection that is supposed to help the blepharitis (includes doxycyclin, steroids) but it didn't help me. (I couldn't either take the doxycyclin pills because I'm allergic to it.)

I saw "lovelight"s post, and a the same time something clicked when after a few days of not such bad symptoms, one day I had gluten and boom, it got worse. I decided to go off gluten - I'm seeing amazing results. Before, I've been getting new pimples / inflammation every few days. Since I've gone off gluten, I haven't gotten any new flareups. It's unreal, almost too good to be true. I hope it lasts.

I still had a small hard pump from the oils (or whatever it is) that consolidated. I went to that doctor again, and the injection this time did dissolve that bump. I'm also taking omega 3 now daily.

It's possible overall I'm seeing certain other symptoms not as bad, like headaches and that kind of thing.

It's worth a try. Hope this helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Just wanted to chime in to say I feel your pain! I've had this all my life and I get it almost weekly. I feel like it goes away only to come back a few days later. I've tried all the creams, washes and antibiotics and nothing has worked :frown: its so painful and it always makes me feel tired because my eyes always feel heavy. I don't wear eye make up so that's not a cause of it. Just one of those things :frown: I get styes a lot too.
Reply 16
I have had blepharitis for about 3 years now, and still have not gotten any relief. One doctor was "squeezing" my eyelids with some type of tweezer, and he described the discharge as being like toothpaste. He left the area, so the next doc did a biopsy to be sure it wasn't skin cancer. It wasn't. I have an appointment in Dec for another doctor, but I feel like they all have the same treatment plan: warm compresses, cleaning, and drops. Nothing has improved my eyes and I am so beyond tired of looking and feeling like this! I cannot find any doctor who specializes in this particular problem. I am so frustrated!!! I live in Florida, so if anyone knows of a doctor in the south who does specialize in blepharitis, I would so appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi. I got blepharitis las year during the months of April, May, June an it desapeared by July. I started using the wetones wipes on June 4 times a day and washing my eyes with baby shampoo too. I am not sure it these cure me but, it seems that my blepharitis is coming back. Mt eyes are swelling when I wake up again. But it seems less severe. I started to use the wetones again

Latest