The Student Room Group

Anybody else think A levels are too easy?

jhvj
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I find them hard, and i'm doing soft subjects! I wish I was more like you haha, I would love to be able to feel confident and capable about A-Levels. What did you get in your AS levels?
Original post by angel.iced<3
I find them hard, and i'm doing soft subjects! I wish I was more like you haha, I would love to be able to feel confident and capable about A-Levels. What did you get in your AS levels?

Well to be fair if I was doing the so called 'soft subjects' I think I would find them harder than the sciences lol, but that's just because I enjoy them :smile:

I got 4 As in my AS levels.
Well then, congratulations. You're a genius.

Seriously though, I don't think it's fair to call A Levels easy when the A Levels you do use skills that are very different to those needed in, say, History or a foreign language. You might find those hard. So rather than concluding that A Levels are easy, I guess the only thing you can do is conclude that scientific A Levels are easy to you.
Reply 4
I don't think you would say there as easy if you were doing a wider range such as history/rs, a language, maths/sciences. Your subjects are very specific, and if you like them then it's easy enough. I don't think that they're objectively easy.
Reply 5
Original post by TotallyJustMe

Seriously though, I don't think it's fair to call A Levels easy when the A Levels you do use skills that are very different to those needed in, say, History or a foreign language. You might find those hard. So rather than concluding that A Levels are easy, I guess the only thing you can do is conclude that scientific A Levels are easy to you.

hear hear!
Reply 6
I find maths easy because I love it, however History out of my choices I'm doing terrible on, I think with alevels it helps incredibly if you pick a subject you love and you have the time to revise for it
Original post by TotallyJustMe
Well then, congratulations. You're a genius.

Seriously though, I don't think it's fair to call A Levels easy when the A Levels you do use skills that are very different to those needed in, say, History or a foreign language. You might find those hard. So rather than concluding that A Levels are easy, I guess the only thing you can do is conclude that scientific

Hj
(edited 5 years ago)
I know someone who can climb a 30 foot tree in a matter of seconds. Does that mean tree climbing is easy?
Natural Talent ? Nah l dont believe it, so you telling me you didnt do a drop of hard work for your exams ?
Urgh, no they aren't, don't say things like that.

I'm taking English and two modern languages, and I don't know what I would say about the 'hardness' of the material per se because that's not exactly something you can measure in those kind of subjects, but you certainly have to put a hell of a lot of work in in order to get good grades.
No, I don't think they are too easy.

As far as I can see, your suggestion that A Levels should be harder would only really benefit people who are quite clever and who already have an advantage in life because of this, at the expense of those who don't find exams so easy.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you should consider yourself lucky, and maybe you will find university more of a challenge? :smile:
I'm doing chemistry, physics, and biology. The only one I find remotely easy is chemistry, and I've got multiple offers to study medicine, and I would say I am reasonably intelligent.

Stop posting rubbish boy wonder.
Reply 13
Original post by awilson008
I know this will be controversial, but I'm wondering if there will be other people who feel the same way as me, so hear me out.

Obviously everybody is at a different level and different people doing different subjects will have had different experiences.

However I am in my A2 year doing maths, physics, chemistry and biology and have been predicted 4A*s, and it didn't really feel like I had to do much.

I've never really had to push myself in these subjects, partly because I really enjoy them and I have a talent for them, but it feels like a bit of a waste that I wasn't pushed further so I could reach my full potential.

I'm trying not to explicitly say that A levels have been dumbed down but I looked at an old physics textbook from the 80s and there's so much interesting stuff in there we will never learn about because it was dubbed 'too hard' for people at this level.

I do understand there's lots of people struggling out there, but I really want to hear from those people who are at the top and feel like they could take a lot more on.

In my opinion grade inflation could be solved by making A levels that wee bit harder and so we can differentiate between all of those people who are snatching As and increasing competition for places at university.

What do you guys think? (Be nice)

I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and having received my January unit 1 results which were AAAA has made me think this too. Honestly I was probably one of five people in the sixth form that got straights A's/B's the rest were absolutely distraught with their results. I guess it's only easy because I have a very very effective revision technique (that requires very little time and effort in the long run) which will only apply to a handful of people - Luckily I had discovered my talent at GCSE's and had tested out the technique and it didn't let me down and allowed me to get the best grades in the school.

However there is always that little bit more you can do but for me and I guess you may feel it to, I just don't think I need too. I know myself very well and that is probably a important factor in achieving high grades; knowing what you have to do and luckily the answer is isn't much.

Making A-levels harder isn't the answer as this would discourage people the complete opposite from us from taking them as they already have to work moderately harder for the current ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
I wish i was like you.
Original post by Loiks94
I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and having received my January unit 1 results which were AAAA has made me think this too. Honestly I was probably one of five people in the sixth form that got straights A's/B's the rest were absolutely distraught with their results. I guess it's only easy because I have a very very effective revision technique (that requires very little time and effort in the long run) which will only apply to a handful of people - Luckily I had discovered my talent at GCSE's and had tested out the technique and it didn't let me down and allowed me to get the best grades in the school.

However there is always that little bit more you can do but for me and I guess you may feel it to, I just don't think I need too. I know myself very well and that is probably a important factor in achieving high grades; knowing what you have to do and luckily the answer is isn't much.

share this technique? is it black magic or voodoo? I find voodoo works well for me.
Reply 16
Original post by Loiks94
I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths and having received my January unit 1 results which were AAAA has made me think this too. Honestly I was probably one of five people in the sixth form that got straights A's/B's the rest were absolutely distraught with their results. I guess it's only easy because I have a very very effective revision technique (that requires very little time and effort in the long run) which will only apply to a handful of people

Care to share that revision technique?
Reply 17
they are not hard nor easy but are simply dependent on how much work you put in.
Reply 18
Original post by Loiks94

What is it?
I do sympathise, genuinely, but I would say that if you feel you aren't being pushed then it's up to you to find your own challenges.

A-levels do push the majority of the population, so they don't need to be harder. However, there are a lot of things you can channel your energy into - UKMT maths challenges, AEA, STEP, chemistry olympiad, summer schools, university preparation, musical skills, travelling...

I was like you - I didn't work for my A-levels, and took my luck for granted. I really regret it, as I could have done so much with that time. There are plenty of ways to differentiate yourself - if you find the standard stuff easy go out and put everything you have into being the best you can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest