The Student Room Group

Picking KCL over UCL - would I be crazy?

I have offers from both for physics. I'm really considering KCL as I'd love to do a year abroad, which UCL don't offer.

However I'm put off by the lesser reputation of Kings. I don't know what I want to do after my degree, possibly a PhD but I would possibly want to try IB and that's where the real kicker is.

UCL is an IB target whereas Kings isn't. So would I be significantly lowering my chances? I know employers value year abroad students but does this apply to IBs? And even so would the added benefit of studying abroad on my CV be enough to offset the difference in reputation?

With regards to the actual physics course, there isn't really anything in it for me. The decision is purely year abroad vs reputation/prestige.

Please help.
Thanks.
There really isn't much of a difference. Also, 'UCL is an IB target' - you should be looking forward to being a fresher rather than thinking *that* far.

In the end, if you like Bloomsbury then choose UCL. If you like the Strand, choose King's.
Reply 2
I think the opportunity to do a year abroad is one you shouldn't pass up! I'm on one now and it's the best thing I've ever decided to do :biggrin:
Reply 3
What is IB?
Reply 4
Original post by jobseeker92
I have offers from both for physics. I'm really considering KCL as I'd love to do a year abroad, which UCL don't offer.

However I'm put off by the lesser reputation of Kings. I don't know what I want to do after my degree, possibly a PhD but I would possibly want to try IB and that's where the real kicker is.

UCL is an IB target whereas Kings isn't. So would I be significantly lowering my chances? I know employers value year abroad students but does this apply to IBs? And even so would the added benefit of studying abroad on my CV be enough to offset the difference in reputation?

With regards to the actual physics course, there isn't really anything in it for me. The decision is purely year abroad vs reputation/prestige.

Please help.
Thanks.

Picked KCL over UCL, had offers from both for Mathematics :smile:

If you will be joining us at King's then come and say hello on our group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/124242814433712/
any comparisons of their physics dept and course?
Reply 6
Original post by bluemohito
There really isn't much of a difference. Also, 'UCL is an IB target' - you should be looking forward to being a fresher rather than thinking *that* far.

In the end, if you like Bloomsbury then choose UCL. If you like the Strand, choose King's.

Yeah but if I do't look ahead it may be something I regret, especially if I do want to go into IB and my university is what holds me back.

As for Bloomsbury v Strand, there's nothing in it, they're pretty much the same place.

Original post by ily_em
I think the opportunity to do a year abroad is one you shouldn't pass up! I'm on one now and it's the best thing I've ever decided to do :biggrin:

The more I think about it the more I really want to do a year abroad, I've wasted hours looking at the possible destinations and thinking how awesome it would be. Really getting ahead of myself :biggrin:

Original post by Namige
What is IB?

Investment Banking

Original post by Red Richie
any comparisons of their physics dept and course?

UCLs dept is bigger but I kind of preferred the feeling at KCL when I went to the open day, as for the course I didn't think there was much in it, tbh I don't see much between any of the courses I looked at.

One advantage of UCL is the lab is where the rest of the department is but seeing as on lab days at Kings you are in the lab all day anyway it really is no big deal at all/ This is being ver nit picky tbh.
Original post by N_young
Picked KCL over UCL, had offers from both for Mathematics :smile:

If you will be joining us at King's then come and say hello on our group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/124242814433712/

What made you choose Kings?

Also I don't have facebook :eek:

UCLs dept is bigger but I kind of preferred the feeling at KCL when I went to the open day, as for the course I didn't think there was much in it, tbh I don't see much between any of the courses I looked at.

One advantage of UCL is the lab is where the rest of the department is but seeing as on lab days at Kings you are in the lab all day anyway it really is no big deal at all/ This is being ver nit picky tbh.

how so?
I'm in a similar situation to OP. I have an offer from KCL and UCL for History, and really can't choose between them.

My gut is telling me UCL, as I think the course is a bit more flexible, and better in the first year. If any historians can shed any light on this or give me any advice, that would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 9
Original post by Red Richie
how so?

I don't know really. Its probably just because I visited there more recently and its more fresh in my mind tbh.
Reply 10
Yeah but if I do't look ahead it may be something I regret, especially if I do want to go into IB and my university is what holds me back.

As for Bloomsbury v Strand, there's nothing in it, they're pretty much the same place.

The more I think about it the more I really want to do a year abroad, I've wasted hours looking at the possible destinations and thinking how awesome it would be. Really getting ahead of myself :biggrin:

Investment Banking

What made you choose Kings?

Also I don't have facebook :eek:

You should get facebook then :smile: there is almost 100 of us
For mathematics King's is better, UCL is trying to build up it's reputation in that field, UCL has 14 full time staff King's has 40. Plus UCL is asking for EXTREMELY high grades (A* maths A* further maths A) while King's only wants AAA. I see UCL as trying to get superb students, so that even if these guys dont get the TOP level of education they will still make it far and earn the uni reputation, while King's takes "worse" students but still manages to make them go far.

Plus, King's is a lot nicer, the maths department at UCL is like in the middle of nowhere - they dont have a single maths specific classroom. Careers at King's seems a lot better to (for my career track atleast)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending