The Student Room Group

Is Psychology a science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fuze-mo25
IMO no.

I studied A-Level biology, chemistry and psychology.
The reason I don't think psychology is a science is the way a case study on 1 person is sometimes the basis of a whole argument. Another reason would be that most of psychology you cannot prove mainly talking about the subconscious.
the definition of science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment" and there aren't enough experiments in psychology

I also study A level psychology and I only came across two studies that look into an individual rather than a group of people namely Thigpen and Cleckley and Freud. The psycho dynamic perspective is just one, largely unscientific approach to psychology yet physiological psychology is far more scientific in its method :smile:
Original post by upthegunners
I may actually have to inform them that their lists are inaccurate

How should I got about it? :smile:

I think you just got annihilated. It's funny that you can't argue because you know you'll look a fool pursuing the "Cambridge, Durham and Nottingham are WRONG WRONG WRONG!!" argument. So, instead, you're trying to be witty at that posters well justified sarcasm towards a little prat like yourself.

Silly little boy. I'll leave you in peace to make more of an idiot out yourself, for others to laugh at.
Original post by cl_steele
Wrong about what? That Psycology isnt a science? **** no. Its about as scientific as playing with toy cars and probably a damn sight easier.

Right. So, what's incorrect in the passage I quoted to you?
Science is a method, not a subject.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Of course it's a science, it employs scientific method. Anyone who says otherwise is just a bit sad, believing something strange because they feel they're one of the stupidest on their course and want to console themselves by making up some kind of ranking system based around subject. Certain aspects of it might be more qualitative more than quantitative, and that makes people get a bit snooty.

I'm guessing you did it and want to make yourself seem more intelligent?

To answer the OP's question: NO, Psychology isn't a science. It's an arts subject. *LOL* :rolleyes: People claiming it to be a science just want to make themselves seem more intelligent by saying they are study a science so people will think they are as intelligent as people doing maths, biology, chemistry, physics etc. which they are so obviously not.
Original post by Annuhlees
Personally, I think some parts are a science and some parts are as scientific as media GCSE.

Can it be proved?

Does it use equipment such as brain scans?

If answer yes, it is.

I do psychology A-level and it's very 'this is this because x said so-but this psychologist fount errors in his findings..'

No, not a science.

To be fair, psychology A Level is completely different to degree level or further and cannot really be compared. A Level is just bare bone, basic theories.. not really going into the science of it at all. If you had to sit in a neuropsychology lecture you wouldn't be in any doubt that it is a science.
Reply 46
Yes: it is investigative about the natural world and uses the scientific method as a means of trying to formulate theories as to how it works.

/discussion
Reply 47
aspect of science , aspects of bull****

bottom-line no!
It is a science but regarded as a "soft" subject as it is easier than the other science subjects such as biology chemistry & physics
Reply 49
Original post by wilson_smith
Right. So, what's incorrect in the passage I quoted to you?

God knows I didnt both reading it, it had little relevence to anything i was saying.
Original post by TooIntelligent

To answer the OP's question: NO, Psychology isn't a science. It's an arts subject. *LOL* :rolleyes: People claiming it to be a science just want to make themselves seem more intelligent by saying they are study a science so people will think they are as intelligent as people doing maths, biology, chemistry, physics etc. which they are so obviously not.

Nope, I actually studied Physics at Oxford. Does that change your opinion? If so, you're so far from a scientist that I think you should open a church.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cl_steele
God knows I didnt both reading it, it had little relevence to anything i was saying.

So you didn't bother reading it, yet you knew - by some extraordinary, and presumably super-human, feat - it lacked relevance to what you were say..?

Or... how about just admit you don't know what you're talking about?
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Nope, I actually studied Physics at Oxford. Does that change your opinion? If so, you're so far from a scientist that I think you should open a church.

Ouch. I disagree with your statement regardless. Tbh, I think you are an embarrassment to physicists/scientists alike for taking sides with people doing the humanities. Shame on you.

There is no correlation between intelligence and the epistemological or methodological inclinations anyone has. From my experience alone however, I am far more of the opinion that those who study the sciences have a general proclivity to be (comparitvely speaking) narrow-minded and ethically barren (excusing many exception, this is - rather - a trend I have picked up). Invariant exercise of the scientific method (an effort of what is essentially problem-solving), does little to enrich anyones intellectual, ethical or cultural purview; tending - for those who commit to such wholesale - to produce a rather crude and impoverished view of the world.
Ouch. I disagree with your statement regardless. Tbh, I think you are an embarrassment to physicists/scientists alike for taking sides with people doing the humanities. Shame on you.

Are the Universities of Cambridge, Durham and Nottingham embarrasments too?

Original post by Dpdr
:

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/

Natural Sciences

Astrophysics

Biochemistry

Biological and Biomedical Sciences

Chemistry

Genetics

Geological Sciences

History and Philosophy of Science

Materials Science

Neuroscience

Pathology

Pharmacology

Physical Sciences

Physics

Physiology, Development and Neuroscience

Plant Sciences

Psychology

Systems Biology

Zoology

https://www.dur.ac.uk/science.faculty/

The Faculty of Science is made up of seven departments and schools which are responsible for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, and for research. The departments and schools which constitute the Faculty are:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/schoolsanddepartmentssearch.aspx

[h="2"]Science[/h]

Have a good day.
Original post by wilson_smith
There is no correlation between intelligence and the epistemological or methodological inclinations anyone has. From my experience alone however, I am far more of the opinion that those who study the sciences have a general proclivity to be (comparitvely speaking) narrow-minded and ethically barren (excusing many exception, this is - rather - a trend I have picked up). Invariant exercise of the scientific method (an effort of what is essentially problem-solving), does little to enrich anyones intellectual, ethical or cultural purview; tending - for those who commit to such wholesale - to produce a rather crude and impoverished view of the world.

My gosh. How nice of you to be such a narrow-minded person.

Original post by ohdearinsanityy
Are the Universities of Cambridge, Durham and Nottingham embarrasments too?

Yes.
My gosh. How nice of you to be such a narrow-minded person.

Yes.

It's ironic that you just got banned a minute after posting 'yes' to my above post. You can't even argue properly.

The fact that you think this is some kind of Science v Humanities war, shows a huge flaw in your arguments. Taking sides? :doh:
Original post by ohdearinsanityy
It's ironic that you just got banned a minute after posting 'yes' to my above post. You can't even argue properly.

I don't want an argument, fool. I'm just saying regardless of the institute, be it Cambridge or Oxford, to label Psychology as a "science" is just giving in to pressure.

Original post by ExWunderkind
The fact that you think this is some kind of Science v Humanities war, shows a huge flaw in your arguments. Taking sides? :doh:

Yes. Everyone knows that humanities students are jealous of scientists. It has been a known fact since the beginning of time.
Original post by TwoIntelligent
I don't want an argument, fool. I'm just saying regardless of the institute, be it Cambridge or Oxford, to label Psychology as a "science" is just giving in to pressure.

You ring up all those universities and let them know your point then. I'm sure they will take you very seriously.

Are you by any chance angered by psychology because you have numerous social disorders or something? I feel sorry for those who have to endure you in reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending