The Student Room Group

Is Psychology a science?

Scroll to see replies

I think its called a "fuzzy science"
What I would like to know is why do some unis offer both a BA and a BSc in psychology. I understand why they might do this for economics, as the BSc could have a heavy mathematical focus, but what would be the difference between them in psychology? At Sheffield, for example, there is no difference in module requirements and options, so what is the point?
Original post by ohdearinsanityy
You ring up all those universities and let them know your point then. I'm sure they will take you very seriously.

Are you by any chance angered by psychology because you have numerous social disorders or something? I feel sorry for those who have to endure you in reality.

Rather not thanks.

No, I just don't see it as a science subject. Why the harsh words? Did I hit a soft spot?
Original post by TwoIntelligent
I don't want an argument, fool. I'm just saying regardless of the institute, be it Cambridge or Oxford, to label Psychology as a "science" is just giving in to pressue.

Yes. Everyone knows that humanities students are jealous of scientists. It has been a known fact since the beginning of time.

Haha.

IMO it's not science.
Reply 64
Of course it is a science. It's the scientific study of the mind and behaviour. Psychological theories are formed through observing behaviour, hypothesis-testing and experimental investigation.

People who say it's about being taught to be a "shrink" clearly have no idea what the subject is about. Psychological theories can be applied to help to form therapy, but it is not what the subject itself is about. Psychology can applied to many areas including education, law, advertising, therapy, parenting... the list goes on and on. It is not what the subject itself is about. These are all areas where psychology can have applications. Psychology in itself is the scientific study of the mind and behaviour.
Reply 65
Original post by wilson_smith
So you didn't bother reading it, yet you knew - by some extraordinary, and presumably super-human, feat - it lacked relevance to what you were say..?

Or... how about just admit you don't know what you're talking about?

What can i say, im better than you.
Because i probablydo to a far greater degree than you.
Reply 66
Original post by louise6427
Haha.

IMO it's not science.

What experience have you with it?

Original post by cl_steele
What can i say, im better than you.
Because i probablydo to a far greater degree than you.

You're spending 9 grand each year to learn Russian. Hahaha, yeah okay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by TooIntelligent
I'm guessing you did it and want to make yourself seem more intelligent?

To answer the OP's question: NO, Psychology isn't a science. It's an arts subject. *LOL* :rolleyes: People claiming it to be a science just want to make themselves seem more intelligent by saying they are study a science so people will think they are as intelligent as people doing maths, biology, chemistry, physics etc. which they are so obviously not.

Read some of the journal articles I posted earlier in this thread, how can it not be a science? Are you even aware what a science is? It may be easier to learn than biology, chemistry etc but it uses the exact same method.

Here's a random one from one of my lecturers whose interests are the role of the hippocampus in memory and how neurodegenerative conditions influence the function of the hippocampus. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074742712000317
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes it is a science when research is done in psychology the scientific method is applied.

Its funny when people say no :smile: Clearly they no nothing of the subject.

Although it is important to remember only psychologists who do research could really e considered scientists as they most likely studied psychology as an art and/or therapist degrees.

But to answer your question it's a yes just not everything in it.

Some examples of things psychology researchers might study could be:

The causes of autism

The causes of learning difficulties

Theres lots more but i don't want to go though all research topics in psychology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by pandabird
What experience have you with it?

You're spending 9 grand each year to learn Russian. Hahaha, yeah okay.

Im not spending a penny to learn it? and its Russian and History, please do learn to read wee one because i can guarentee you with near scientific accuracy that it will land me a far far better more productive job than something of your ilk.
Reply 70
Original post by Tpx
So at least three of the posters arguing against psychology being a science were either (1) trolls from the start, or (2) had no arguments and resorted to pretending that they were trolling all along.

As apposed to errr 'smart' people like you who've offered no insight whatsoever, isnt that funny heyyyyy
Reply 71
Original post by cl_steele
Im not spending a penny to learn it? and its Russian and History, please do learn to read wee one because i can guarentee you with near scientific accuracy that it will land me a far far better more productive job than something of your ilk.

Well I'm planning on going into neuroscience research and I don't care what you do. And I'm not going to disrespect history because my twin does it and her work is worthy of respect. But I can't say that about what you study.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
its a social science like sociology
Original post by Tpx
What I would like to know is why do some unis offer both a BA and a BSc in psychology. I understand why they might do this for economics, as the BSc could have a heavy mathematical focus, but what would be the difference between them in psychology? At Sheffield, for example, there is no difference in module requirements and options, so what is the point?

BA would be most likely preparing you for therapy and so on where as BSc would be training you to do research and apply the scientific method in psychology you would also notice that with psychology doctorates there's a psyd and a phd.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by pandabird
Well I'm planning on going into neuroscience research and I don't care what you do. And I'm not going to disrespect history because my twin does it and her work is worthy of respect. But I can't say that about what you study.

Yeah and im planning on flying a return trip to pluto in a day :L
Oh please spare me the family back history i really do not care at all.
You're right because you have no idea what i study.
No it's not technically a science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by TwoIntelligent
I don't want an argument, fool. I'm just saying regardless of the institute, be it Cambridge or Oxford, to label Psychology as a "science" is just giving in to pressure.

Yes. Everyone knows that humanities students are jealous of scientists. It has been a known fact since the beginning of time.

Let's see how long it will take for you get banned this time. :wink:
Original post by nm786
yes and no.

well that clears things up
Original post by RemiMarcelle
No it's not technically a science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes its a science.
Reply 79
Is being a difficult question because 'science' is just label for something that is being difficult to define precisely and exact.

I am personal thinking: psychology is as much as a science compared to biology, as biology is as much of a science compared to physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending