The Student Room Group

Sister caught on speed camera and has no license. What will happen?

My sister was driving my car and she says she thinks a camera flashed as she passed and she was above the limit. She currently has no license but is going for a test soon.

What will happen from now on? Will I have to pay the fine?

I've already had motor related trouble myself and currently have 4 points for speeding and following an accident I got "Driving without due care and attention" but that was removed after a court battle.

So will I get a fixed penalty notice by mail and have to pay that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jail, hopefully.
Original post by MsCourtney
What will happen from now on?

Just a guess but I would say you and your sister will probably carry on being morons.
Reply 3
What was she doing driving your car without a licence?? Let alone speeding

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ladies and gentlemen, the missing link.
Reply 5
Assuming it's actually your details on the car, you will be receiving a fine and 3 points in the post fairly soon. Hopefully you've been driving for more than two years, because if not, 7 points is enough for you to lose your license and have to retake your test.
Reply 6
Unscrew the license plate from your car and sneak up at night and stick it on your neighbours car. Then, mount a large rock in the gas pedal, and when your neighbour gets in in the morning it will go flying off into some building wall, and then say he stole your number plate to commit a robbery.

Hence the earlier speeding as he was planning his getaway
Reply 7
Original post by SoRo
What was she doing driving your car without a licence?? Let alone speeding

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would I know, commuting somewhere I would assume.

She has a provisional license.
Reply 8
The speeding ticket will go the the owner of the car, it is the owner of the cars responsibility to state who was driving the car at the time. It is illegal to lie, if they find out that she was driving without a license then she could face a driving ban, does she have a provisonal license? If so the points will go on that if she isn't insured then she could also get done for driving without inurance, the car owner could get points and a fine as well as your sister
Reply 9
Original post by Octohedral
They won't know it was your sister unless you tell them. Legally you should tell them, so I won't advise you otherwise on an internet forum, but if you did she would be in very serious trouble, and so would you. Did she have a provisional licence?

However, if you don't tell them (as nobody in their right minds would), you will just get a fixed penalty notice and have to pay it. You can ask her to pay you back, but do that privately.

tl;dr: It will just be like a normal penalty.

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code-penalties/penalty-table

She has a provisional license but was driving herself, alone.
Reply 10
You should also consider that the camera may have taken a picture of the driver, so you should think twice before "forgetting" to tell them that she was driving
Reply 11
How would I know, commuting somewhere I would assume.

She has a provisional license.

Was there somebody else in the car (aged 21 or over, who has held a license for 3 or more years) at the time? If not, then she could be in a fair amount of trouble, and probably lose her licence before she's even got it!

Edit - Just seen your post. Well, you're required by law to state who was driving at the time. If you choose to, she'll be in trouble, if not, then you'll be on 7 points. I assume she's insured on the car, right?
Reply 12
If it was a Gatso (picture from the rear), then you can either take the points for her, or she's going to have to take them.

If it was a Truvelo (pictures from the front), then she's going to be pictured driving so she'll have to take them.

She'll receive a court summons and have to go to court, most likely, she'll be done with driving without a valid license, driving without insurance, as well as a SP30 speeding offence. (I assume it's an SP30 - you didn't say what speed/road).

She'll most probably receive a heavy fine and a 2 year ban and 6 points.
(edited 11 years ago)
How would I know

This is how I would find out if someone who isn't insured and doesn't have a license randomly took my car and get caught speeding in it.

Reply 14
Original post by Octohedral
They won't know it was your sister unless you tell them. Legally you should tell them, so I won't advise you otherwise on an internet forum, but if you did she would be in very serious trouble, and so would you. Did she have a provisional licence?

However, if you don't tell them, you will just get a fixed penalty notice and have to pay it. You can ask her to pay you back, but do that privately.

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code-penalties/penalty-table

Edit: Goes without saying, don't let her do it again. If she'd killed someone it would have been very different, for you and for her.

Won't let her do it again. Do they have a clear picture of the driver and do they compare that with driver license of owner from their database (Uk police seem high tech)?
Original post by xxchloexo
The speeding ticket will go the the owner of the car, it is the owner of the cars responsibility to state who was driving the car at the time. It is illegal to lie, if they find out that she was driving without a license then she could face a driving ban, does she have a provisonal license? If so the points will go on that if she isn't insured then she could also get done for driving without inurance, the car owner could get points and a fine as well as your sister

So what if I say that she was driving, but I didn't know as she hadn't told me at the time that she had taken my car.
Then she will get done for driving a car without permission as well as driving on a provisional license and without insurance
Reply 16
Original post by Rybee
If it was a Gatso (picture from the rear), then you can either take the points for her, or she's going to have to take them.

If it was a Truvelo (pictures from the front), then she's going to be pictured driving so she'll have to take them.

She'll receive a court summons and have to go to court, most likely, she'll be done with driving without a valid license, driving without insurance, as well as a SP30 speeding offence. (I assume it's an SP30 - you didn't say what speed/road).

She'll most probably receive a heavy fine and a 2 year ban and 6 points.

Picture from the front, but are these images clear enough to see the driver in the photo?

Original post by Dan1909
Was there somebody else in the car (aged 21 or over, who has held a license for 3 or more years) at the time? If not, then she could be in a fair amount of trouble, and probably lose her licence before she's even got it!

Edit - Just seen your post. Well, you're required by law to state who was driving at the time. If you choose to, she'll be in trouble, if not, then you'll be on 7 points. I assume she's insured on the car, right?

She is insured.
Reply 17
Picture from the front, but are these images clear enough to see the driver in the photo?

She is insured.

Yes they are, that's their purpose, because people kept evading Gatso pictures because they couldn't identify the driver. Truvelo's specifically picture the driver to confirm who committed the offence.

She may also be prosecuted with TWOC.
Assuming you look pretty much the same as your idiot sister you should be able to safely bail her out. Then again you are probably dumb enough to get caught by doing something that wouldn't even occur to the rest of us so maybe that's not the best idea in your case. I'd just ship her.
Reply 19
Write to the Police asking for photographic evidence that it was you or her driving.

Latest

Trending

Trending