The Student Room Group

Been contacted for 3 seperate job interviews in a single day !

Hey guys , I know its going to sound really unbelieveable but I I've experienced one of the luckiest days I can remember ! I've been job searching for about 5 months straight , all to no avail.

This evening I was contacted by : WH Smith , Waitrose and Tescos as I've been offered job interviews ! I know the job isn't guaranteed but its something ! 3 Job Interviews and a new Game of Thrones episode in a single day

Today was a good day.jpg

I've only gone to a single job interview before but it was evident they were desperate for staff so the interviews were very informal . Does anyone have any tips or advice for interviews in general , or any people who work for the companies listed that could give me some tips ? It would all be appreciated .

Also , what should I do if the company I want to work for is the last to reply ... If I simply say sorry a better job came along it would be a tad bit awkward :biggrin: . Which of the few would you work for ?

Thanks , Jaegon Targaryen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You lucky bugger! But congratulations, nice to hear someone is at least getting the interviews. General advice is dress smart, arrive on time and be yourself. Research the company and roles and prepare for question of why your are suited for the job, what you can bring to the company, why you applied and all that. Just give a Google of interview questions, I have been to three different interviews with completely different companies and surprisingly they weren't all that different.
Original post by Swanbow
You lucky bugger! But congratulations, nice to hear someone is at least getting the interviews. General advice is dress smart, arrive on time and be yourself. Research the company and roles and prepare for question of why your are suited for the job, what you can bring to the company, why you applied and all that. Just give a Google of interview questions, I have been to three different interviews with completely different companies and surprisingly they weren't all that different.

Thanks for the advice bro :colondollar:, it wasnt all luck though ! I have about 80 job rejections in my inbox and this is from the jobs that bother getting back about the application :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Thanks for the advice bro :colondollar:, it wasnt all luck though ! I have about 80 job rejections in my inbox and this is from the jobs that bother getting back about the application :redface:

Tell me about its absolutely terrible the amount of jobs you have to apply for to even get a reply. No worries dude, hope it goes well!
I applied for a xmas temp job two years back. It was a group interview. They were basically going to hire anyone who could talk to other people, compare numbers and smile. I thought I was really lucky to get the job.

So a few months back I went for an interview for a proper part time position, expecting it to be the same as the xmas temp interview. I didn't do any preparation. I didn't get the job. I hadn't researched the company and I didn't have a bank of answers to select from.

Then a few weeks back I went for an interview with a professional company for a full time job. I researched the company and I knew the history, services provided and sectors like the back of my hand. I'd also written some questions down and thought up answers to them. I'd also jotted down some questions and printed some of my coursework off. I got in the interview feeling much less nervous than I had for the PT interview. It was evident that I had prepared- I had coursework to show them and I had questions jotted down to ask them. They didn't ask me lots of interview questions. They asked me a few and all of them pretty much ended up as an informal chat.

I got the job.

So, from my (lack of) experience (I've only had 3 interviews), I can tell you that preparation is everything. Even for a PT job. Research the company and get a brief idea of what they do and any thing about them in the news lately. Prepare some answers to typical interview questions but DON'T memorise them. Read them a few times so you know what the key points are. You then construct your answer in the interview, but you don't sound like a robot chanting an answer from memory.

Also, I don't care what people say- you want to show the company that you will fit in. It's not about knowing if this is the right job/ company for you. You can't afford to turn down a job because you 'didn't like the open plan office' or something. You need to get on with the interviewer- chat to them, smile, laugh at their (sometimes awful) jokes.

If its a group interview, you need to get on with other people in the group. Grit your teeth and bare it- just be nice and chat to them. Force yourself to. Talk about how the weather has suddenly changed or how winter seemed to go on forever. You can bore them to death for all you care but you need to show that you can talk to people.

Also , what should I do if the company I want to work for is the last to reply ... If I simply say sorry a better job came along it would be a tad bit awkward . Which of the few would you work for ?

That's a tricky one. If it was me, i'd tell them I will let them know if I want the job by [date]. Try and find out when the one you really want to work for will reply and give the other companies a date just after that.

And I'd pick Waitrose, simply because it's part of the JL Partnership, which could put you in good stead for a job in John Lewis, should you wish.

Oh, and Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do well. Let us know if you get one of the jobs!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys , I know its going to sound really unbelieveable but I I've experienced one of the luckiest days I can remember ! I've been job searching for about 5 months straight , all to no avail.

This evening I was contacted by : WH Smith , Waitrose and Tescos as I've been offered job interviews ! I know the job isn't guaranteed but its something ! 3 Job Interviews and a new Game of Thrones episode in a single day

Today was a good day.jpg

I've only gone to a single job interview before but it was evident they were desperate for staff so the interviews were very informal . Does anyone have any tips or advice for interviews in general , or any people who work for the companies listed that could give me some tips ? It would all be appreciated .

Also , what should I do if the company I want to work for is the last to reply ... If I simply say sorry a better job came along it would be a tad bit awkward :biggrin: . Which of the few would you work for ?

Thanks , Jaegon Targaryen

Congratulations on getting 3 interviews :biggrin:!
I don't work in any of the shops you mentioned but I work at a sports shop part time and I did a bit of research on the company just in case they asked (which they didn't). Just be confident and do a bit of research on each company just in case they do ask :biggrin:!
As for which one I'd go for, I'd have to see if I ever go in for an interview at any of the shops :smile:!
Hmmm guys im currently going through the period of preparing myself for the interviews and the issue about having the choice to choose is worrying me .

Basically ive decided id prefer to work with Waitrose<Tesco<WH Smith in that order , but my interviews are on this Wednesday( WH Smith) , Thursday (Tesco) and Friday (Waitrose) . It is also likely that Waitrose are going to prolong me the process even longer ( if I get past this stage) as they have one on one interviews after the group interview . Im not being cocky but its most likely that im guaranteed a job with WH Smith > Tesco > Waitrose in that order . I do not want to end up unemployed again ! This means im in a difficult dilema , what should I do ?
Reply 7
Hmmm guys im currently going through the period of preparing myself for the interviews and the issue about having the choice to choose is worrying me .

Basically ive decided id prefer to work with Waitrose<Tesco<WH Smith in that order , but my interviews are on this Wednesday( WH Smith) , Thursday (Tesco) and Friday (Waitrose) . It is also likely that Waitrose are going to prolong me the process even longer ( if I get past this stage) as they have one on one interviews after the group interview . Im not being cocky but its most likely that im guaranteed a job with WH Smith > Tesco > Waitrose in that order . I do not want to end up unemployed again ! This means im in a difficult dilema , what should I do ?

Hi Jaegon, first congratulations on the three interviews! I'm in a very similar boat to you in that I've also had three interviews this week and have another one on Thursday! I've been searching for months too and they all just come along at once don't they? Not complaining though :smile:

Also one of the jobs I had an interview for yesterday has just called me to offer me the position. I took the job despite it being the one I'd least prefer to get as the hours aren't as good as the others but if I'm successful in one of the others I want more I'm just going to phone the one I have now and politely thank them for the offer but tell them that I'm going to have to withdraw from the job as I've found one with better hours. So that would be my advice to you on that front if you have to call a job after accepting an offer and pull out, because you have to think of what's best for you at the end of the day.

In regards to your current dilemma, when you go to the WHSmith one (I used to work at Smiths by the way and the interviews are nothing to worry about. All are pretty standard questions about team work, telling them about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and when you've given good customer service. Also, if they ask you about what do you think are important aspects to working in Smiths, make sure you say PUSHING SALES. They're obsessed with hitting targets and offering customers chocolate and sweets, what they call TCP's, at the till point so just make a big point of that) try and get a feel of when they would like you to start or when they will let you know if you've been successful or not. They will probably tell you that in the interview anyway but if it's not until a week later, you may hear back from all jobs around the same time and then you can make a decision. If that's the case, I'd just take the first job you get offered as jobs are so hard to come by these days and if you get a better offer from Tesco's or Waitrose afterwards then just pull out of Smiths.

The Waitrose situation is a tricky one seeing as there's going to be a second interview. I had a similar interview today, this is for the job I'd like the second most, in that if I'm successful I will have to go for a second interview. My advice would be, again, just try and get a sense of when you're going to hear from them. I know you said you want to work at Waitrose the most but if you get offered the Smiths or Tesco's job before you hear back from Waitrose I'd still take the job. If you get offered a second interview at Waitrose before you start your other job or even if you're working there and have a day off, you can still go to the second interview and see what happens. If you're successful in Waitrose, happy days!

Just keep your options open and grab a job the first opportunity you get. The job I got offered today wasn't my first choice but even if I don't get any of my other ones, at least I still know I have a job now.

If you need interview help there's a Waitrose and a Tesco thread here which I'm sure someone will be able to help you in. Good luck and keep us informed on how you do!
Reply 8
I have had that on a couple occasions too, really just because I decided to try on a lot of jobs at the same time, whereas in the past it could go days between each time I found a job I liked. I have three interviews this week as well.
All about effort.
Reply 9
just like london buses eh
Hey guys , just thought I'd update you all.

Yesterday I had my Tesco interview , previously thought it was WH Smith but got them mixed up , realised at the train station and tesco is further then WH so as a result I was 5 minutes late :eek: , your meant to be early to a job interview not late !

It was a group interview and a staff member walked me to the canteen where all the other 11 applicants were sitting on a table in silence , there was so much tension ! I was smiling to myself because I was the only one in a suit and felt a million dollars :wink:. A staff member takes us in a room were are split into groups and given a task about a scenario were we are trapped in a deserted jungle and had to decide amongst each other about what would be are 10 selected items out of 15. Everyone had to introduce themselves and there was a vast contrast in terms of experience and age , some people were 24 had worked in morrisions asda and lidl ! , there was a single mother who hadnt worked in 5 years , a 16 year old with no experience whatsoever etc.

There were some really aggressive assertive people there and I made an effort to challenge them and ensure everyone was comfortable with our selection because some people weren't saying anything. It went really well though .

All in all I thought Tesco would be a really nice place to work , its one of those supersize stores , meaning it would be very busy , have lots of members of staff to get to know and hours would go by really quickly . I have to admit it has got me thinking about whether it would be better working there ; Its bigger , has friendly staff and would possibly give a better chance of repeat employment as Waitrose is probably in higher demand . Then again , Waitrose is Waitrose . Have the group interview with them tommorow so ill see how it goes.

We got told we would be contacted within 3 days if we were successful and got to the next stage . At about 7:30 pm I got a phone call but my battery was dead and I was travelling home at the time so I was left a voice mail to say I got to the next stage ! It sure didnt take them time to decide , I must have left a lasting impression :biggrin:. The thing is though , its this Friday at the same time as my Waitrose group interview ! which means im going to have to try and reschedule one of them , unfortunately its too late for me to reschedule waitrose so Ive been trying to contact Tesco all day but their phone hasnt been picked up / saying its busy. I was told to contact the number left on the voicemail but I am with virgin and dont know how to ... I think it might just be the Tesco one though . I need to sort this out by the end of today or I may miss out on an opportunity tommorow !
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys , just thought I'd update you all.

Yesterday I had my Tesco interview , previously thought it was WH Smith but got them mixed up , realised at the train station and tesco is further then WH so as a result I was 5 minutes late :eek: , your meant to be early to a job interview not late !

It was a group interview and a staff member walked me to the canteen where all the other 11 applicants were sitting on a table in silence , there was so much tension ! I was smiling to myself because I was the only one in a suit and felt a million dollars :wink:. A staff member takes us in a room were are split into groups and given a task about a scenario were we are trapped in a deserted jungle and had to decide amongst each other about what would be are 10 selected items out of 15. Everyone had to introduce themselves and there was a vast contrast in terms of experience and age , some people were 24 had worked in morrisions asda and lidl ! , there was a single mother who hadnt worked in 5 years , a 16 year old with no experience whatsoever etc.

There were some really aggressive assertive people there and I made an effort to challenge them and ensure everyone was comfortable with our selection because some people weren't saying anything. It went really well though .

We got told we would be contacted within 3 days if we were successful and got to the next stage . At about 7:30 pm I got a phone call but my battery was dead and I was travelling home at the time so I was left a voice mail to say I got to the next stage ! It sure didnt take them time to decide , I must have left a lasting impression :biggrin:. The thing is though , its this Friday at the same time as my Waitrose group interview ! which means im going to have to try and reschedule one of them , unfortunately its too late for me to reschedule waitrose so Ive been trying to contact Tesco all day but their phone hasnt been picked up / saying its busy. I was told to contact the number left on the voicemail but I am with virgin and dont know how to ... I think it might just be the Tesco one though . I need to sort this out by the end of today or I may miss out on an oppurtunity tommorow !

don't say you're going for another interview anyway, say its a hospital appointment :tongue:
Original post by deedee123
don't say you're going for another interview anyway, say its a hospital appointment :tongue:

Thats what my family have been telling me :tongue: I was going to say revision class or something but hospital appointment is much better ! Thanks .

Didnt you have a interview with Waitrose too ? Have you done yours yet ? If so how did it go?
Thats what my family have been telling me :tongue: I was going to say revision class or something but hospital appointment is much better ! Thanks .

Didnt you have a interview with Waitrose too ? Have you done yours yet ? If so how did it go?

Hospital appointment is good because you are given a time by the hospital rather than arranging it yourself so it's harder to cancel. Mine is today :smile: i've already had an interview there before, its 3 hours long, most of it's pointless crap.
Hospital appointment is good because you are given a time by the hospital rather than arranging it yourself so it's harder to cancel. Mine is today :smile: i've already had an interview there before, its 3 hours long, most of it's pointless crap.

Today ? Well best of luck . I know right ? As if building a tower out of newspaper is really going to reflect the capababilities of individuals , I'm dreading it if they make me do a silly task like that . I feel the Tesco scenario today made it much more easier to set apart the ones with potential . If you could met me know how your interview goes I'd appreciate it immensely ! Best of luck!!!
Today ? Well best of luck . I know right ? As if building a tower out of newspaper is really going to reflect the capababilities of individuals , I'm dreading it if they make me do a silly task like that . I feel the Tesco scenario today made it much more easier to set apart the ones with potential . If you could met me know how your interview goes I'd appreciate it immensely ! Best of luck!!!

hey just back from my waitrose interview, it was much shorter than last time/what it said on the email, only about 40 minutes long. started off with an icebreaker, just asking the person next to you 3 facts about them and reciting it to the group, then they gave us 3 questions-whats your favourite food and why, why should waitrose employ you, what do you hope to do in the future, they left the room and gave us 5 minutes to write it down then came back in and we spoke about our answers. Then they asked us what animal would you be and why, that stumped me a bit haha. Then we went home :tongue:
hey just back from my waitrose interview, it was much shorter than last time/what it said on the email, only about 40 minutes long. started off with an icebreaker, just asking the person next to you 3 facts about them and reciting it to the group, then they gave us 3 questions-whats your favourite food and why, why should waitrose employ you, what do you hope to do in the future, they left the room and gave us 5 minutes to write it down then came back in and we spoke about our answers. Then they asked us what animal would you be and why, that stumped me a bit haha. Then we went home :tongue:

3 facts ? Phhh it sounds easy but I can't imagine what I'd say about myself :/

What did you say you wanted to do in the future ? I want to go university but perhaps they would prefer someone less ambitious I'm not sure , as they wouldn't be going anywhere .

It sounds more laid back then I'd imagined , I sure hope I don't get a silly scenario though ! Thanks for that btw !
3 facts ? Phhh it sounds easy but I can't imagine what I'd say about myself :/

What did you say you wanted to do in the future ? I want to go university but perhaps they would prefer someone less ambitious I'm not sure , as they wouldn't be going anywhere .

It sounds more laid back then I'd imagined , I sure hope I don't get a silly scenario though ! Thanks for that btw !

i said about university, everyone there was at uni/going to uni, i don't think they expect you to be like "i want to become branch manager of waitrose" haha
Hello guys , yesterday I had my second Tesco Interview and my Waitrose Group interview both on the same day ! My head was crammed with facts about both companys!

I had my group interview with Waitrose at 2:30 and it was suprisingly laid back , there were alot of strong candidates for the job though . It being Waitrose . Im talking 28 year olds with 5 years experience in a retail enviroment , but I believe my character shined through so I'll have to see how it goes . I was sure to ask questions upon being prompted and be the first to say something when the manager asked a question to us . She told us she would let us know on monday .

I had my Tesco interview at 5 and it was quite easy as I had done alot of preparation . I basically knew I had the job by the time I was done with it , she asked questions such as describe a time I had to work in a busy enviroment , where I have demonstrated team work skills etc . She told me if I was succesful I would be contacted tommorow . Today I was called around 2:40 pm and I have the job !

Tesco seems like quite a nice place to work ! Its one of those superstores , it has lots of staff , is bound to be busy a lot of the time and as a result hours will go by like nothing.

Im very grateful to everyone who helped , its going to be a shame if I get offered the Waitrose job also because the Tesco manager is very polite and nice and I basically wasted alot of her time :frown:. That being said getting a job with Waitrose will help me immensely in the future.
Hello guys , yesterday I had my second Tesco Interview and my Waitrose Group interview both on the same day ! My head was crammed with facts about both companys!

I had my group interview with Waitrose at 2:30 and it was suprisingly laid back , there were alot of strong candidates for the job though . It being Waitrose . Im talking 28 year olds with 5 years experience in a retail enviroment , but I believe my character shined through so I'll have to see how it goes . I was sure to ask questions upon being prompted and be the first to say something when the manager asked a question to us . She told us she would let us know on monday .

I had my Tesco interview at 5 and it was quite easy as I had done alot of preparation . I basically knew I had the job by the time I was done with it , she asked questions such as describe a time I had to work in a busy enviroment , where I have demonstrated team work skills etc . She told me if I was succesful I would be contacted tommorow . Today I was called around 2:40 pm and I have the job !

Tesco seems like quite a nice place to work ! Its one of those superstores , it has lots of staff , is bound to be busy a lot of the time and as a result hours will go by like nothing.

Im very grateful to everyone who helped , its going to be a shame if I get offered the Waitrose job also because the Tesco manager is very polite and nice and I basically wasted alot of her time :frown:. That being said getting a job with Waitrose will help me immensely in the future.

Don't worry about wasting their time. They won't have just picked you and told the rest they haven't got the job. They will have a list of people, so if someone declines the job they go to the next person on the list, and so on. They won't have to spend ages doing the whole process again!

I was put off of Tesco for the exact reasons you said. I felt that it would be too much like school- there would be lots of people working there but you would only know a handful of people. And with a lot of people, its much harder to be noticed.

Do you have a date that you need to accept/ reject the Tesco offer? Don't reject it until you know if you are being offered the Waitrose one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending