The Student Room Group

UKIP's manifesto doesn't tell me anything

I cannot understand what UKIP stand for. They have no comprehensible policies whatsoever.

Please tell me 3 things that I can vote UKIP for

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Manifesto's aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I think the biggest incentive for voting UKIP is that it something different from the Conservative/Labour in-and-out party politics we have been burdened with.
Reply 2
This is just copied and pasted from the first thing I noticed from 1 section:
· Spend an extra 40% on defence annually,
another 1% of GDP
· Expand the Army by 25% to 125,000 personnel and double the size of the Territorial Army
· Restore the Royal Navy to its 2001 strength
with three new aircraft carriers and nearly 70
other ships, at the same time guaranteeing the
future of the Plymouth, Portsmouth and Rosyth
bases

What don't you understand, its quite clear. This is in addition to their EU and immigration stuff, grammar schools, more prisons etc. In any case they are updating it I think since that was 2010 and the media is likely going to offer more strenuous scrutiny
Original post by Josh94
This is just copied and pasted from the first thing I noticed from 1 section:
· Spend an extra 40% on defence annually,
another 1% of GDP
· Expand the Army by 25% to 125,000 personnel and double the size of the Territorial Army
· Restore the Royal Navy to its 2001 strength
with three new aircraft carriers and nearly 70
other ships, at the same time guaranteeing the
future of the Plymouth, Portsmouth and Rosyth
bases

What don't you understand, its quite clear. This is in addition to their EU and immigration stuff, grammar schools, more prisons etc. In any case they are updating it I think since that was 2010 and the media is likely going to offer more strenuous scrutiny

An extra 40% on defence spending? :confused: And how are they going to fund that? :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Don't ask me, I was just proving a point. I'd imagine cutting international aid would be a good start along with an EU exit which would release millions.
Reply 5
They want to pull out of the European Union without thinking of the consequences of this action. Their attendance in the EP (European Parliament) is shockingly bad.

Their Leader just spouts populist rhetoric all the time
Original post by Morgsie
They want to pull out of the European Union without thinking of the consequences of this action. Their attendance in the EP (European Parliament) is shockingly bad.

Surely, in a democracy, populist rhetoric is good as it represents the people. If he talks about leaving the EU and the public like it, then so be it - that's democracy.
Reply 7
Original post by Alex-Torres
Surely, in a democracy, populist rhetoric is good as it represents the people. If he talks about leaving the EU and the public like it, then so be it - that's democracy.

That being said but the real problem is that Nigel Farage and UKIP have not thought of the details if we did leave. It is all 'lets pull out'.

This is the same person who does not know his facts because on QT he confused the EU with the ECHR. Not true because the ECHR is a different organisation
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jeery83
Manifesto's aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I think the biggest incentive for voting UKIP is that it something different from the Conservative/Labour in-and-out party politics we have been burdened with.

That's not really an incentive for voting UKIP, as it applies to every party that isn't Conservative or Labour (Except maybe the Lib Dems). You should always look at what a party has put down for their manifesto, because doing what you've explained means you'd be voting UKIP just as a protest vote, which is exactly what they're trying to remove the image of.
Reply 9
Original post by Morgsie

Damn him for listening to the public and sharing their concerns :angry:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I cannot understand what UKIP stand for. They have no comprehensible policies whatsoever.

Please tell me 3 things that I can vote UKIP for

Withdrawal from the EU.
Points based immigration, with only people who will be a net benefit to the country granted citizenship, with others granted work permits.
Far tougher prisons and prison sentences.
Reply 11

It doesn't necessarily represent "the people" so much as the most vocal minority. Tyranny of the majority needs to be guarded against, it's a real and persistent threat associated with democracy.

As a right-wing conservative party simple statements like "let's not be so soft on criminals" sound great to just about everybody, but the reality is a bit more nuanced than that - evidence suggests moving to a more punishment based system is ineffective in combating crime.
As much as many people want to leave the EU, I think it would work better as a movement rather than voting a completely new party for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Am I Really Here
Withdrawal from the EU.
Points based immigration, with only people who will be a net benefit to the country granted citizenship, with others granted work permits.
Far tougher prisons and prison sentences.

I advocate withdrawal from the EU because I am pro-death penalty. Bullets cost 50p; keeping prisoners in jail for life, costs the tax payer billions. So the 1st and 3rd point you bring up is beneficial to me.

The second point about immigration should already be a policy from the Tories. It should not be someone like Nigel Farage to suggest its implementation.
I advocate withdrawal from the EU because I am pro-death penalty. Bullets cost 50p; keeping prisoners in jail for life, costs the tax payer billions. So the 1st and 3rd point you bring up is beneficial to me.

The second point about immigration should already be a policy from the Tories. It should not be someone like Nigel Farage to suggest its implementation.

What do you think happens? The judge gives the verdict then they're taken into a room down the corridor and shot?

Not exactly. Here's some food for thought: Criminals who are executed in the USA have more, yes, more spent on them (through a combination of costs from being on death row and the execution itself) than criminals who are imprisoned for life.

Plus, any civilised country doesn't practice execution by firing squad anymore. How barbaric.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur
What do you think happens? The judge gives the verdict then they're taken into a room down the corridor and shot?

Not exactly. Here's some food for thought: Criminals who are executed in the USA have more, yes, more spent on them (through a combination of costs from being on death row and the execution itself) than criminals who are imprisoned for life.

Not in my government, they wouldn't.

It is clearly a way of saving cash, if implemented correctly.
Not in my government, they wouldn't.

It is clearly a way of saving cash, if implemented correctly.

It's a pipe dream. No point trying to garner support for it.
Reply 17
Original post by Bulbasaur

Plus, any civilised country doesn't practice execution by firing squad anymore. How barbaric.

Come on let's not try and pretend it is the death penalty that costs more it is the appeals. If you limit it to a single appeal per criminal then the costs would be far lower. I don't support the death penalty myself though as the potential for mistakes still exist.

Burke is surely turning in his grave at this dribble

So you agree with all of the political positions I have raised. UKIP are the only 'major' political party to back such positions. That seems like a fairly compelling reason to vote for them. The fact that you think the second point is a position the Tories should hold is irrelevant. The fact is that they don't hold it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending