The Student Room Group

Totally ****ed up my PS. How important is it?

Just how important exactly are personal ****ty statements?

It wasn't a total **** up, but after looking over it a day or so after sending it off I realise that I have a 1/2-3/4 of a paragraph (the biggest paragraph in my statment) is talking nonsense.

I'm contemplating taking Southampton out of my choices as this would have been my firm. But after seeing this stupid part of the statement I feel I'll definitely get a rejection now.

How important are they?
Original post by bestofyou

It wasn't a total **** up, but after looking over it a day or so after sending it off I realise that I have a 1/2-3/4 of a paragraph (the biggest paragraph in my statment) is talking nonsense.

I'm contemplating taking Southampton out of my choices as this would have been my firm. But after seeing this stupid part of the statement I feel I'll definitely get a rejection now.

How important are they?

Bit late to start worrying about your PS now isn't it?
(edited 11 years ago)

How important are they?

Obviously your grades are the most important thing, as if your predicted grades aren't good enough then you're pretty much guaranteed an automatic rejection.

Your Personal Statement closely follows your grades in terms of importance, it's the main factor used to choose between applicants who have the same predicted grades.
Me too! I still have offers though, as long as you've made it clear that you have a good interest in the subject you're taking, and a little bit of background knowledge, you should be fine!

I made such a pathetic mistake in mine, though it still managed to get me offers!

I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much.

They'll oversee that mistake and look at the overall package if they like you, people make mistakes! :smile:

How important are they?

I wouldn't worry too much. I get the feeling that they look at your predicted grades first and only if there is a huge amount of applicants do they look at the PS. Most PS are full of crap anyway - works of fiction that wouldn't look out of place on the Booker prize list.

My son sent off his PS full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes yet still got an offer for Bristol and Nottingham and Birmingham
i thought you left tsr
Original post by Table dust
i thought you left tsr

This. People always make threads saying they're gonna leave, but it never happens.
Reply 7
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Bit late to start worrying about your PS isn't it?

Considering the deadline isn't until June 30th...

Original post by reneetaylor
Me too! I still have offers though, as long as you've made it clear that you have a good interest in the subject you're taking, and a little bit of background knowledge, you should be fine!

I made such a pathetic mistake in mine, though it still managed to get me offers!

It wasn't a grammar mistake or anything, in fact I wish it was. I got a little carried away and started talking about things that weren't really part of the course, but I was talking about them as if it was part of the course. At the time I didn't think it seemed like that, only just now as I went over it again. I'm worried they'll think I don't understand what the course is about fully.

What was your mistake?

Original post by This Honest
This. People always make threads saying they're gonna leave, but it never happens.

It is useful for things like this...plus I'm sick and have nothing else to do.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending