The Student Room Group

Difficult choice for a Marketing master...which University - Business school....??

Hello!
I am interested in a Master in Marketing and I have already made some applications to some Universities but it is very difficult for me to make a choice! I only read raknings and numbers, and each ranking is different..
I am trying to find the best Business schools in U.K. and it is a little bit of confussion!
The rankings that I am looking at are the QS World ranking for Business schools(top 200), The Times, Financial Times, Eduniversal, Guardian & The complete University guide.
It is a mess the fact that a University could be in position 17-22(medium) in national ranking but in the top of the world rankings and Universities in the top 10 of U.K. ranking have a position around 200-400 in world ranking... :redface:
Could anyone can make any comment (anything for the university, for the city, for a fame that exists, anything..) for the following Universities.., suggest me something..?

About these Universitites: Aston business school, Bath, Cranfield (someone told me that it is very good but near a village in the middle of nowhere!), Manchester, Ashridge, St. Andrews, Birminghan, Durham, Henley(university of Reading), Bradford, Lancaster, Exeter, Loughborough, Nottingham, Southampton, Bristol, Glasgow, Royal Holloway, York, Coventry(it has opportunity for internship)
There are too many..but any comment coould be useful for me...u can understand me :wink:

Finally..I am searching for master in Marketing with an opportunity of Internship during the studies..or in the end...but I only found Coventry.. Do you know any other University/Business school that may offer an Internship..??

Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello!
I am interested in a Master in Marketing and I have already made some applications to some Universities but it is very difficult for me to make a choice! I only read raknings and numbers, and each ranking is different..
I am trying to find the best Business schools in U.K. and it is a little bit of confussion!
The rankings that I am looking at are the QS World ranking for Business schools(top 200), The Times, Financial Times, Eduniversal, Guardian & The complete University guide.
It is a mess the fact that a University could be in position 17-22(medium) in national ranking but in the top of the world rankings and Universities in the top 10 of U.K. ranking have a position around 200-400 in world ranking... :redface:
Could anyone can make any comment (anything for the university, for the city, for a fame that exists, anything..) for the following Universities.., suggest me something..?

About these Universitites: Aston business school, Bath, Cranfield (someone told me that it is very good but near a village in the middle of nowhere!), Manchester, Ashridge, St. Andrews, Birminghan, Durham, Henley(university of Reading), Bradford, Lancaster, Exeter, Loughborough, Nottingham, Southampton, Bristol, Glasgow, Royal Holloway, York, Coventry(it has opportunity for internship)
There are too many..but any comment coould be useful for me...u can understand me :wink:

Finally..I am searching for master in Marketing with an opportunity of Internship during the studies..or in the end...but I only found Coventry.. Do you know any other University/Business school that may offer an Internship..??

Thank you!!
Reply 2
Original post by eleni_di
Hello!
I am interested in a Master in Marketing

I am trying to find the best Business schools in U.K.

Do you know any other University/Business school that may offer an Internship..??

Thank you!!

Where are you from and what is your visa status? I only ask because I don't think you are allowed to do an internship unless you are settled here and/or you are an undergrad (so an intern as part of your 3-4 year degree).

For most marketing jobs, it's the work experience that counts not the degree. If you want to become one of those calculators in the city, that's a different story. In marketing, you will have to network your way in. Young people, fresh graduates wanting to go into marketing, often offer to work for free the first couple of months.

Are you sure you want to move to another country to study a MSc in Marketing? I mean a UK graduate from a good university struggles to get a job in anything.

If you have to choose, go by the name and reputation of the university (not by location). Also as you rightly point out, do look for a course that includes an internship in it (as part of the course). Do not be fooled by a nice website - they all technically offer an internship opportunity. What you want to find out is whether a school actually has contacts in the industry and guarantees an internship.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I am from Greece so i dont need any visa. I know that I can do an intership but I cant find masters with an intership as part of their programme.

what do you mean by "calculators in the city"?

I am not sure for anything but I think that a sush degree will open some doors easier than now... why...??
Reply 4
Hello!

Thank you!!
Reply 5
"What you want to find out is whether a school actually has contacts in the industry and guarantees an internship."

and how I will find out this...?? exactly, this is the difficult part for me..!
Reply 6
I am from Greece so i dont need any visa. I know that I can do an intership but I cant find masters with an intership as part of their programme.

I am not sure for anything but I think that a sush degree will open some doors easier than now... why...??

If you are thinking of doing strategic management at Coventry (http://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/2013/faculty-of-business-environment-and-society/postgraduate-degree-mba-msc-ma/strategic-marketing-management-msc/), an internship is not guaranteed by the school. You will have to fight for it.

Some UK business school courses offer an option to do an internship or work placement, but it is the responsibility of a student to make such arrangements. The schools cannot give you an internship.
Reply 7
"What you want to find out is whether a school actually has contacts in the industry and guarantees an internship."

and how I will find out this...?? exactly, this is the difficult part for me..!

Just phone the school and ask for further details about the internship.
Reply 8
I made an application for the master Advertsing and Marketing..but i guess it is the same in this field..

About internships..it is like this in all Univeristies..right..? you have to find it yourself..or some have ready internships for their students because of company partnes..?? and how can i find such details..?! there is nowhere in sites..or they are small lettes..
Reply 9
I'm nearing finishing my MSc at Cranfield, you get an experience of various aspects of business. Core marketing (I.e advertising, communications and strategy) then delve into other areas suh as supply chain and customer relationship management.

The staff are second to none, experts in their given fields and have links to various industries bringing them in for talks - for example we had Dunnhumby (pioneers of Tesco clubcard) and Oracle in this year and we got a feel of how they operate, was very interesting. We also had a consultancy project with a company that owns several nightclubs in and around central London (e.g. Abacus, Tiger Tiger, etc) - we also got to experience the nightlife of those nightclubs too! In regards to internships, there's not really an opportunity for internships as the course is quite intense.

However there is an opportunity to study in another country during your time also you can for your thesis embark on a company project for example students are working with Oracle and other companies such as Argos.

Also, you tend to be assigned to a small group that you'll work with through the year working on various challenges - its very reminiscent to how real life work will be.

Finally, if you're scared of presenting; that'll be a thing of the past - you'll be asked to present aspects of your work, infront of staff and your peers.. This is key skill building, which you may not get elsewhere - everyone's very supportive, as we all know, some people are eccentric whilst others are quite shy.

All in all do some research try and speak to past students from different unis about their experiences.

Hope this helped abit.

Oh yeah, it's in the middle of nowhere but you can get to Milton Keynes for £1.00 which takes around 30mins. I'd suggest you try and get on campus but if not its not really a big deal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
!

As you're posting everywhere ts best to quote you.
Sciences-Po in France does, but their Masters course is over two years.
Reply 12
Original post by Venom123
As you're posting everywhere ts best to quote you.

What do you mean by that..?

I post everywhere because i didnt understand how exactly it works and i need some answers!

and when I have an answer i can not see it all from the beginning..? now I see your full answer..but before 5 min i was seeing only the first 3 sentences.. do you know why..?
Reply 13
What do you mean by that..?

I post everywhere because i didnt understand how exactly it works and i need some answers!

and when I have an answer i can not see it all from the beginning..? now I see your full answer..but before 5 min i was seeing only the first 3 sentences.. do you know why..?

By me quoting you, you're made aware that I've replied to your question. As you see on the right hand side.
Reply 14
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
Sciences-Po in France does, but their Masters course is over two years.

Thank you but I want a one year master..
Reply 15

Finally, if you're scared of presenting; that'll be a thing of the past - you'll be asked to present aspects of your work, infront of staff and your peers.. This is key skill building, which you may not get elsewhere - everyone's very supportive, as we all know, some people are eccentric whilst others are quite shy.

oh, yes..i'm a little bit afraid of presenting something..I was afraid of this with my projects in uni too..:frown:

so, you suggest me not to say no to Cranfield.. i was thinking so..because of the nowhere... it will be 1 year..not a small period.. is it ok to live there for 1 year..?? it is a serious subject too!
Reply 16
You'll enjoy it, there are two Greeks on the course this year. There are so many nationalities on campus too, you'll hardly need to go anywhere else! Time will pass by believe me!

London is just 1 hour by train.

But as I said, see what other students from other universities says.
Reply 17
You'll enjoy it, there are two Greeks on the course this year. There are so many nationalities on campus too, you'll hardly need to go anywhere else! Time will pass by believe me!

London is just 1 hour by train.

But as I said, see what other students from other universities says.

Thank a lot!!

I have to finish with my applications first..and then i will start searching for students from as many universities I can.. it will be a mess.. :redface:
and then decide..i guess... thanks!
Reply 18
Make sure you apply as soon as possible - as the earlier you apply, the greater chance you get accomodation to live on campus; makes life so much easier living on campus!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
What are you hoping to do once you graduate? Continue in Academia, or work? If you're looking to work in the UK, I'd opt for a university that tops national rankings; if you're working abroad, go for a well-known factor first and national rank 2nd, but try to find a decent balance. If you're looking to pursue a PhD and a career in academia, look at who is working there, what their research is on, whether those topics interest you, and think about whether anyone might make a good masters project supervisor, and a good reference for PhD applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending