The Student Room Group

Graduating

Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, it seemed the most appropriate!

So, after having finished year 3 of a 4 year Hons course this year, I've decided it's not for me, so am looking to graduate in July with a non honours degree.

I've just heard back that I can't graduate in July though, as July graduation is only for Hons and Masters students - I have to wait until November. Is this normal? I don't plan to be in Britain in November, and really need my transcript this summer to find a job. I don't know why I have to wait another 6 months, and am really annoyed about this.

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
It will depend on the university, but all of them I've known have sent out transcripts as soon as results were posted. If yours doesn't, then you should be able to request one. They know that students need them to go on to the next step. If my experience is common to other unis, you shouldn't have to wait until the date of your graduation ceremony.

Ask your department's Admin team - they'll be able to give you the full facts for your organisation.
You can 'graduate' without attending the ceremony. Just tell the Graduation Office you wont be doing any ceremonials and please can you have your certificate/transcipt asap. Equally, you can 'say' you have an MSc (or whatever) without actually a) having the certificate or b) having walked across a stage and shaken the VCs hand - so long as you know you have actually passed it and if anyone checks with your Uni, they can confirm that fact.
Original post by Geo_cos
Hi,
So, after having finished year 3 of a 4 year Hons course this year, I've decided it's not for me, so am looking to graduate in July with a non honours degree.

I've just heard back that I can't graduate in July though, as July graduation is only for Hons and Masters students - I have to wait until November. Is this normal? I don't plan to be in Britain in November, and really need my transcript this summer to find a job. I don't know why I have to wait another 6 months, and am really annoyed about this.

Thanks for reading.

Presumably you are at a Scottish university, and my experience is only in English universities. However, you cannot usually be awarded any degree or therefore given the certificate, until the degree ceremony, whether you attend in person, or graduate in absentia. However, your exam office should be able to provide a letter or similar, confirming to any employer that you have completed the course satisfactorily. You need to check the exact details with your University exams office or equivalent.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
However, you cannot usually be awarded any degree or therefore given the certificate, until the degree ceremony

This doesn't hold true for all unis. My Masters uni (in England) sent out the official certificate with the transcript, the day that results were announced (in fact, they unexpectedly arrived in the mail the day before we were told results would be posted).

The graduation ceremony was weeks later and was just an opportunity to shake the VC's hand and get a round of applause.

Definitely worth checking with the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending