The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nadine10
Hey everyone, 2d year economist at Cambridge here - would love to help anyone if there are any questions :smile: TSR was such a big help for me

Hey, would you have any good reading recommendations for wider reading of economics? thanks
Reply 381
Original post by Giant
So many Kings applicants for Economics, all my friends are applying there as well :colone:

Good thing is that about 40% of people who get pooled from Kings get offers elsewhere

That doesn't really mean anything other than you're less likely to get an offer from your chosen college. While the statistics show a strong association between certain colleges and how many get pooled the truth is that if you're good enough to receive an offer you get pooled, not because you applied to a certain college
Reply 382
Original post by amg_22
That doesn't really mean anything other than you're less likely to get an offer from your chosen college. While the statistics show a strong association between certain colleges and how many get pooled the truth is that if you're good enough to receive an offer you get pooled, not because you applied to a certain college

That is true, obviously if I don't feel confident with the UMS I will have to scale down my expectations. Tbh I guess it doesn't matter too much where you get into as you get the exact same education from the University Faculties. The hassles of a slightly longer commute are massively outweighed by these benefits
Original post by tick-tock
Hey,

I think I've got a B in AS maths and hopefully A in everything else (economics, english lit and philosophy and ethics)
I want to apply to warwick, durham and bristol (I haven't choosen my other 2) do you think getting a B will mean I can't get into uni for economics at one of these unis. I've atteneded Cambridge's shadowing scheme and UCL's summer challenge and had work experience at an investment banking firm. If my teachers predict me and A in maths and an A* in economics do you think I still have a good chance of getting into warwick or any of the others?

If you're predicted As an A*s you should be fine, you don't have to declare your AS grades on UCAS, so it shouldn't matter :smile: good luck!
Original post by bridie1706
If you're predicted As an A*s you should be fine, you don't have to declare your AS grades on UCAS, so it shouldn't matter :smile: good luck!

If you go to a state school, more likely than not, you do have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently studying maths, English lit history and sociology and am predicted all A's at AS with maybe two A*s out of maths history and sociology at A2. I'm looking to apply to Exeter, warwick, Nottingham and am unsure on the other two :tongue:.
my school currently don't run a further maths A level course. Do you think this could put me at a disadvantage? Would you recommend trying to get my college to allow me to do further maths AS next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to a state school and I didn't have to, most schools ask you to, but it's not essential, you can refuse.

Original post by tooambitious
If you go to a state school, more likely than not, you do have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
Hey guys i found something which may help in the application process, similar to the RES competition, its called the Marshall Society which i found on tutor2u. Basically all the same principles as the RES but its due in by the end of the month

Anyone else gonna do it? =D
I went to a state school and I didn't have to, most schools ask you to, but it's not essential, you can refuse.

When did you leave school? Since last year schools have to pay, so, I repeat, more likely than not, at a state school, you will have to cash-in your greades
One of my friends has missed his firm and insurance offers for Economics because he got a 5 in HL maths- what do you guys reckon the chances are of Oxford/Bath still taking him?
Original post by Revengeissweet
One of my friends has missed his firm and insurance offers for Economics because he got a 5 in HL maths- what do you guys reckon the chances are of Oxford/Bath still taking him?

What did they ask for? Did they specify 7 in HL or was it just 766 in HL?

Chances are quite low unfortunately, Bath is maybe more likely but they won't like that he insured them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
Original post by Jkizer
Hey guys i found something which may help in the application process, similar to the RES competition, its called the Marshall Society which i found on tutor2u. Basically all the same principles as the RES but its due in by the end of the month

Seems interesting, it would be difficult to come up with something good in 3 weeks though.
When did you leave school? Since last year schools have to pay, so, I repeat, more likely than not, at a state school, you will have to cash-in your greades

I left school last year, and applied this year. A school cannot make you declare AS grades or module grades if you don't want to.
I left school last year, and applied this year. A school cannot make you declare AS grades or module grades if you don't want to.

I feel like you're not reading what I'm saying...
As much as they cannot force you, more likely than not f a state school that will be the default option and once that's te case it can be quite difficult to make them change the way they do it. If you offer to pay yourself it may help, but no school is obliged to pay for a candidate to hide the fact they did badly at AS.
Technically, considering your school is very much in charge (in that they send it off to universities) of the process, they can do whatever the hell they like with your grades and you may never know
I am bored of this now.
Original post by Jkizer

I probably will... Seems interesting!
Original post by Revengeissweet

I know an economist at Cambridge (kings) who had a 766 offer but got 775 with 5 is HL maths. They accepted him still but that was due to him getting 77.
What did they ask for? Did they specify 7 in HL or was it just 766 in HL?

Chances are quite low unfortunately, Bath is maybe more likely but they won't like that he insured them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

He got 775 with 5 in HL maths. Offer was 766, 7 not specified.
I don't know much about the course and how much emphasis is placed on the maths score but maybe they'll let him wait till ALevel results are released :/
Has anybody been shortlisted or highly commended for the RES essay competition? I was shortlisted! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless
Has anybody been shortlisted or highly commended for the RES essay competition? I was shortlisted! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! (I didn't enter)
Original post by Epic Flawless

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noo when did you get the email? I entered but tbh i dont think it was very good "/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending