The Student Room Group

The Cancer Chat Thread- share and care :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I have to agree with pandabird that it is so important to go to regular checkups, because cancer is affecting you oftenly not only when you are older. In my teenaged time, I was checked up all three months by dermatologists for my hundreds of dysplastic moles and dysplastic nevi syndrome, and I hated these exams at all, but my mother was so strong and took me there to all appointments until I was 18. Then, I decided myself that I didn´t want to go there, but 2 yrs. later, I had to go for the intensive military exams in Germany and the female doctor there was shocked when she saw me naked and said I woulld look "like I would have dozens of melanoma!" It was a great shock and a hard moment for me, like my whole world would be crashed! This doctor was so shure that I would have melanoma, so that I was sent to further more exams into a clinic to a complete and very thorough dermatological/mole exam (and to some other doctors because of other diagnosis). I got surgery of 6 questionnable cancerous looking moles, fortunately all came back as "strong dysplastic" or "precancerous lesions"! This was really a warning for me!

Another point I have to agree with is "it would be great if they drilled to go to doctors into us in school along other health talks. In my school time I remember we had yearly school exams (I always got a letter from the school doctors for my mother that she had to go to furtehr more exams to the pediatrician and dermatologist with me!), none of us liked the school exams, but now I have to say, that they are so important, too, to get these importance for regular checkups as early as possible.
Bloody hell. Granddad's sister in law has terminal cancer too. :frown: She has 6 months to live and has decided she doesn't want treatment.
Reply 122
Original post by Beckyweck
The problem, I find, that if you go to the doctors with what you think could be a proper problem they say it's not and you end up feeling like a time waster. And you do hear a lot about people being told it's nothing then dying.

I can totally understand a doctors frustration since with the Internet everyone's headache is a brain tumour but I always feel uncomfortable going to the doctor. :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah thats very true! I see what you mean and get it exactly - my mate collapsed from back pain and the doctor told her just to take paracetamol :s-smilie:
Original post by hjradley1
Yeah thats very true! I see what you mean and get it exactly - my mate collapsed from back pain and the doctor told her just to take paracetamol :s-smilie:

That's a bit rubbish. What was wrong with her? I had a similar problem once, no collapsing but it would get so bad I couldn't move and then by the time I decided it was a real problem and should go to the doctor it stopped. xD Sod's law...
Reply 124
Original post by Beckyweck
That's a bit rubbish. What was wrong with her? I had a similar problem once, no collapsing but it would get so bad I couldn't move and then by the time I decided it was a real problem and should go to the doctor it stopped. xD Sod's law...

They don't know yet. But another doc gave her tramadol (opioid-based strong pain killer) and sent her for an MRI scan which she had the other day. Just gotta wait for the result now :/ yeah that tends to be how life works haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My Grandad passed this evening.

He was taken into hospital this morning at 3am in agony. He had all four of his children there with him. I suppose it's nice to know that he's stopped hurting and suffering, but you just never want to think that it's actually going to happen.
Original post by katehlouise

He was taken into hospital this morning at 3am in agony. He had all four of his children there with him. I suppose it's nice to know that he's stopped hurting and suffering, but you just never want to think that it's actually going to happen.

I am so sorry to hear this :frown: *hug*

I'm so sorry for your loss :frown:
My grandmother has been diagnosed with cancer on her leg. And my grandfather died of sarcoma last year. :frown:
My girlfriend just found out she has hodkins lymphoma. It was weird when she told me at first it was as if she told me she had a cold then when the cancer leaflets come out its like "holy crap this is real." And it all hits you.

Thankfully it is very treatable and the cure rates are high for this type especially among younger people. It feels so surreal.
Original post by blue n white army
My girlfriend just found out she has hodkins lymphoma. It was weird when she told me at first it was as if she told me she had a cold then when the cancer leaflets come out its like "holy crap this is real." And it all hits you.

Thankfully it is very treatable and the cure rates are high for this type especially among younger people. It feels so surreal.

A lot of what you've said here is how I felt last week. My dad told me about Granddad and asked if I was ok. I said yes. Half an hour later I went upstairs and just cried.

I don't think it's fully set in yet.
Reply 131

I'm sorry to hear about your granddad. It is comforting to think that they are not suffering and in pain anymore, but it is awful for those left behind, take care of yourself. x

Original post by OU Student
A lot of what you've said here is how I felt last week. My dad told me about Granddad and asked if I was ok. I said yes. Half an hour later I went upstairs and just cried.

I don't think it's fully set in yet.

Indeed, can relate very much to the weird feeling when you find out. After I found out my mum was ill I texted my best friend and we went for a walk and then just sat on my bedroom floor talking absolute nonsense to each other, really childish silly stuff, and I think it was just not wanting to acknowledge what was happening at that point. And then at night time I used to go to bed and just feel so sad and frightened that it physically hurt.

All the best to your girlfriend blue n white army, I'm glad the cure rates are good. Do talk about it as much as you need to, I know it can be very overwhelming sometimes. And the same to you OU Student, if it helps do try to talk about it, it can be helpful to know other people relate.
Popped in to work to see if I could miss my next two shifts (meant to be my last two cos I have a new job) thought I was coping ok (in fact too well) but it suddenly all hit me as I heard myself say "yesterday my gf got diagnosed with cancer" then I went to say my goodbyes to the other chefs n just burst into tears.

Not how i pictured me ending my 5 years there. Walking out the back doors sobbing my eyes out and carrying my knives.
Popped in to work to see if I could miss my next two shifts (meant to be my last two cos I have a new job) thought I was coping ok (in fact too well) but it suddenly all hit me as I heard myself say "yesterday my gf got diagnosed with cancer" then I went to say my goodbyes to the other chefs n just burst into tears.

Not how i pictured me ending my 5 years there. Walking out the back doors sobbing my eyes out and carrying my knives.

Sorry to hear that.

Granddad starts his treatment tomorrow. He's had a lot of issues with pain and the painkillers not lasting long enough.
second session for her yesterday but started having chest pains today so she got taken back in a couple of hours ago. I think its just a "better to be safe than sorry" sort of thing but it's all a bit of a worry. oh well 2 sessions down 10 to go.
second session for her yesterday but started having chest pains today so she got taken back in a couple of hours ago. I think its just a "better to be safe than sorry" sort of thing but it's all a bit of a worry. oh well 2 sessions down 10 to go.

:hugs:

I saw my Granddad a few weeks ago. I can't believe how skinny he's become. He is ok though, which is good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
:hugs:

I saw my Granddad a few weeks ago. I can't believe how skinny he's become. He is ok though, which is good.

is that as a side effect of the treatment?

it affects everyone so differently my girlfriend reckons she has more of an appetite now than she normally does.
is that as a side effect of the treatment?

it affects everyone so differently my girlfriend reckons she has more of an appetite now than she normally does.

I don't know. He had mouth and throat cancer 3 years ago and had some issues with his teeth and what he can and can't eat.
Just found out my Nana has ovarian cancer and is having a full hysterectomy next week and I'm really worried about her having such a big operation at her age. This is on top of being told my Grandfather is end stage now from prostate cancer meaning I'm trying to move to the UK as fast as possible. Lost my Uncle to stomach cancer a couple of years ago and that was horrible. No idea how I'm going to get through losing both my grandparents.

Dad is in remission though, so there is a silver lining. He's the only one in our family to 'beat' cancer so far.

I ****ing hate cancer, everyone in my family dies from it. Everyone. No heart disease, no strokes, nothing. Every gets and dies from cancer. ****ing horrible ****ty ass disease. :cry2:
Reply 139
It's coming up to 2 years next week since my dad passed from lung cancer... I have a feeling this might turn into a ramble so apologies in advance :tongue:

Even 24 months later I still have a feeling of anger, firstly that a great man and dad was robbed of his life too early, secondly that I've had my biggest and only main support taken away from him and thirdly at just how ****ing slowly he was weakened and systematically broken down by this ****ty disease, the only part of him it didn't manage to break was his resolve to live but even that was hard to see through the side effects of the drugs which left him falling asleep halfway through asking a question.

People say that it 'gets better with time' and in some ways it does. For the first couple of months after he died I didn't feel much, of anything frankly. I can't remember what sparked the grief off, I think it was looking back at holiday photos for the first time but I remember sitting here sobbing for hours. After a few more months it settled down but even now I find the occasional thing of his or walk up the stairs and catch a smell of his scent from somewhere and it brings it all back :moon: I have so much I'd love to say to him and tell him about, here is to hoping that when it's my time I can.

Quick Reply

Latest