The Student Room Group

Engineering Adjustment What to do?

I have a place at Exeter for Mechanical Engineering (with a general first year after which you can specialize in one discipline). I got A*AC (A* in maths, A in physics and history), now I was considering adjustment to trade up to a "superior" university. I have phoned Sheffield and Nottingham already; I was told there were no places at Nottingham and only places for everything but mechanical in Sheffield (I was half tempted to just switch to civil eng.). Any ideas on other universities to look at and whether they are any "better" (particularly for their Mech. Eng. courses) which I could get on to through Adjustment.

I just am a bit worried that Exeter while its reputation might be one of the best, that's its engineering department isn't as great as what I can get.

So stick with Exeter or Adjust to somewhere else ....?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y
I have a place at Exeter for Mechanical Engineering (with a general first year after which you can specialize in one discipline). I got A*AC (A* in maths, A in physics and history), now I was considering adjustment to trade up to a "superior" university. I have phoned Sheffield and Nottingham already; I was told there were no places at Nottingham and only places for everything but mechanical in Sheffield (I was half tempted to just switch to civil eng.). Any ideas on other universities to look at and whether they are any "better" (particularly for their Mech. Eng. courses) which I could get on to through Adjustment.

I just am a bit worried that Exeter while its reputation might be one of the best, that's its engineering department isn't as great as what I can get.

Presumably you picked Exeter after a lot of research and deliberation, so don't necessarily dismiss it just because you now have the option of changing. Would you be able to get accommodation at the new uni? Bear in mind that there's more to consider than just whether or not you can get a place.

You've got a few more days to look around Adjustment, so you could keep looking at more unis and see what else is out there. Remember that reputation isn't everything - you get out of a degree what you put in, so what is considered 'better' by some arbitrary measure may not be 'better' for you.
If you don't like Exeter's engineering department, that's fair enough, but presumably you've visited the city, and want to spend three years of your life there. With adjustment, you will be going in blind. No-one can tell you what's best for you though.

I don't know much about specific engineering departments, so I can't advise on that, but are there any universities you applied to and were rejected from, or considered applying to that you want a second go at? That might be a good starting point.

Just stick with Exeter, it's not going to make any difference to your future and, as others have said, presumably you chose Exeter in the first place because you liked it.
Reply 5
Thanks for all responses, I think I'll stick with Exeter rather than going elsewhere .
now I was considering adjustment to trade up to a "superior" university. I have phoned Sheffield and Nottingham

Sheffield better than Exeter?? You're kidding right? Exeter has no spaces whatsoever in any of its courses anymore whereas Sheffield is still in clearing for many usually oversubscribed courses.

Anyways, my point is: Exeter is a lot better university than Sheffield. And I personally even believe that Exeter is not far at all from Nottingham's reputation in terms of teaching quality. You have nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending