The Student Room Group

Should I still bother to apply to university?

So I received A* C and D as final A level results and A at AS Level.
Now the thing is, I'm not British, nor am I overly familiar with what the hype is all about. These aren't my only scholastic qualifications, but I thought I'd to the A levels as I intend to go to University in Britain. The subjects I sat were German, Law and Economics. I sat them all as a private candidate and traveled to the UK for each exam, which was a bit of a mess each time, staying at a hostel and whatnot, not getting sufficient sleep. At any rate, it was stressful and I'm really distraught bymy results.

As a private candidate, I obviously didn't have anyone to predict my grades, so clearing was the only option I had to begin with.
Now, with those grades and everyone seeming so riled up about AAB and whatnot, should I even bother to apply or are my grades just too ****ty?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Can someone please help me.

I sat the AQA Unit 1 & 2 exam this summer and I achieved an A grade in Unit 1 and a U grade in unit 2. I am extremely confused as to why this has happened. Can someone please post the mark scheme or give me any advice. Thanks in advance.
Reply 2
Original post by grumpyelf
So I received A* C and D as final A level results and A at AS Level.
Now the thing is, I'm not British, nor am I overly familiar with what the hype is all about. These aren't my only scholastic qualifications, but I thought I'd to the A levels as I intend to go to University in Britain. The subjects I sat were German, Law and Economics. I sat them all as a private candidate and traveled to the UK for each exam, which was a bit of a mess each time, staying at a hostel and whatnot, not getting sufficient sleep. At any rate, it was stressful and I'm really distraught bymy results.

As a private candidate, I obviously didn't have anyone to predict my grades, so clearing was the only option I had to begin with.
Now, with those grades and everyone seeming so riled up about AAB and whatnot, should I even bother to apply or are my grades just too ****ty?

I think those reults are pretty good, depends what uni you want to go to and what you want to study I suppose.
Original post by TemiOlad
Can someone please help me.

I sat the AQA Unit 1 & 2 exam this summer and I achieved an A grade in Unit 1 and a U grade in unit 2. I am extremely confused as to why this has happened. Can someone please post the mark scheme or give me any advice. Thanks in advance.

Not sure this is the right thread for this, but we're all students so unfortunately I don't think you'll find your answer here! Your best bet would be to ask your teacher - it does seem odd, but sometimes these things can happen.
Reply 4
Original post by Stressworthy
Not sure this is the right thread for this, but we're all students so unfortunately I don't think you'll find your answer here! Your best bet would be to ask your teacher - it does seem odd, but sometimes these things can happen.

I wish I had a teacher. I was a private candidate, self-taught.
I wish I had a teacher. I was a private candidate, self-taught.

I was quoting a different user there, who I think posted in this thread by mistake. My response to you was as follows:

Don't be disheartened just yet. Well done on achieving those grades in the circumstances (ie self-taught). They aren't too ****ty at all. It completely depends on what you want to study and where you want to go, so don't be distraught at all. Did you complete a UCAS application? Because you would need to in order to go through Clearing. And then you just need to start ringing up universities that would take you on with those grades, and that look appealing to you based on research you do. Good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by Stressworthy
I was quoting a different user there, who I think posted in this thread by mistake. My response to you was as follows:

Don't be disheartened just yet. Well done on achieving those grades in the circumstances (ie self-taught). They aren't too ****ty at all. It completely depends on what you want to study and where you want to go, so don't be distraught at all. Did you complete a UCAS application? Because you would need to in order to go through Clearing. And then you just need to start ringing up universities that would take you on with those grades, and that look appealing to you based on research you do. Good luck.

Thanks for your kind words and your response. I'm still working on my UCAS app and should be finished by tomorrow. I'll be ringing up universities tomorrow and see what they'll tell me.
Thanks for your kind words and your response. I'm still working on my UCAS app and should be finished by tomorrow. I'll be ringing up universities tomorrow and see what they'll tell me.

Hope it goes well for you! If it comes down to it, you could always take a year out to perhaps work and travel maybe, and reapply for the following year. If you already know in advance what grades you have, you can apply specifically to universities that ask for those sorts of grades/number of UCAS points for the course you want to do. It takes the pressure off as your offer would be unconditional. The added benefit is that it's not a mad rush and you have time to do research, and possibly even visit the different campuses (which is definitely what I'd advise, as it's important to get a feel for the place). It's not a decision that should be taken lightly. I took a lot of time thinking and researching, and ultimately went with where I felt was best for me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending