The Student Room Group

Do I need a UKCAT?

My results today (4 A's) far exceeded my expectations and given my high UMS scores I'm thinking of upping my aims and applying to Cambridge. But do I need a UKCAT or another test as part of the application? I haven't researched it at all because I thought I would never get grades near what I did hence my ignorance.
TIA
Reply 1
UKCAT is only needed for some universities PURELY for entrance to medical related degrees (E.G. Dentistry, medicine etc.) and even for cambridge you take the BMAT for medicine.

As long as you have some decent grades and a good communication for those interviews, you should be fine to apply at least.
Oh and you also may sit college dependant tests depending on what you want to take for example Trinity engineering has an interview exam and for Maths at Cambridge you have to for some colleges take STEP maths.
Google is your friend however if you need any more knowledge, I'm happy to help.

You will never have a chance of getting in unless you at least apply!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by F.R.A.W.A
My results today (4 A's) far exceeded my expectations and given my high UMS scores I'm thinking of upping my aims and applying to Cambridge. But do I need a UKCAT or another test as part of the application? I haven't researched it at all because I thought I would never get grades near what I did hence my ignorance.
TIA

If your doing medicine/law/vet there are completely compulsory exams which you need to arrange (Usually with ur school) and pay for.

I think there also entrance exams you need to do and pay for likewise.

As long as your personal statement is fine, you may be a lucky fella to get an offer. In this case grades are put aside and academic potential forward. (Usually the hard bit as they can ask awkward questions)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Oh, I should mention that these are AS not A2 results, so the A* thing isn't a problem (yet). I guess it's worth a try, it's better to regret the things you did do than the things you didn't after all. Thanks for the help
You don't need UKCAT for Cambridge but considering there are only 8 medical schools who don't require you to sit the UKCAT, it'd be a wise move to sit it because then you are not limiting yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by F.R.A.W.A
TIA

What were your subjects and UMS scores (3 most relevant)?

Cambridge (and Oxford, UCL, ICL med) requires BMAT and successful applicants average around 95%+

I'm not being harsh, just pragmatic. I don't want you wasting 1 of 4 medicine choices
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending