The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
If you mean for this year, the 5 day window is long past. If you mean for next year, even they won't know that yet. Sorry.

No i mean do you know if they did enter it for a period this year? Im hoping to apply for next year but unsure if ill meet the A*A*A offer
Original post by Folion
Many grats to those who have come through this nightmare, no prospective student (or family) deserves that stress :smile:.

I got to wondering if Durham, amongst other places, are trying to stuff their courses full of students via adjustment, clearing and otherwise because of the ABB rule? There will always be some people who drop out after the start of semester and maybe they're banking on that to leave a reasonable and yet still high cohort?

Do you reckon this is primarily funding led?

Everything is about money as Keynes, Friedman and Adam Smith all intended to say. :tongue:

I am sure that when Durham staff sat down some time in summer term 2012 to plan the 2013 admissions cycle, they did not say "let's create a shambles".

They clearly under-offered sufficient places in the main scheme. Whether that was predictable, I do not know and opinions may differ between the admissions tutors and the finance department.

In making offers Durham has to guess (a) how many will accept as firm, (b) how many will accept as insurance (c) how many will get their Durham firm (d) how many will get their elsewhere firm (e) how many will be let into their elsewhere firm despite missing their offers (f) how many who meet their Durham firm will adjust elsewhere (g) how many who make their Durham firm or insurance ask to be released into clearing and (h) how many who make their Durham firm or insurance ask to defer. To be fair to them, that is a lot of moving parts. Were they self-deluded as to where they stood in the popularity stakes with other elite universities? Is there a pretty buildings factor? Are applicants less keen on Durham if they are not on Palace Green?

I suspect Durham did always intend to clear and adjust to pick up some top students from elsewhere. They have usually entered clearing for their less popular courses. I don't think they intended to recruit as many as they did.

Then the clearing and adjustment process was badly handled. On this thread, we have heard from people who were mucked about royally, stayed the course and have Durham offers. No doubt others walked away and will be attending lectures in the Strand or enjoying a cathedral built in the 1960s rather than one from the 1060s.

Durham, I think found in clearing and adjustment, rather than amongst offer holders, that their name resonated and they were swamped. It is obviously two different cohorts. The Durham applicants would be largely people who always knew they were good enough for Durham but were also good enough for other top universities. The clearing and adjustment folk were only informed just how good (or not in the case of people who had missed other elite university offers) they were by the examiners. They were surprised that Durham was available and piled in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by physicso
No i mean do you know if they did enter it for a period this year? Im hoping to apply for next year but unsure if ill meet the A*A*A offer

Unless anyone still has a copy of the telegraph from results day, we'll be unable to answer this.
I highly doubt that Manchester will have been anywhere near clearing/adjustment for physics- I understand that they are heavily oversubscribed for it, hence the A*A*A offer (isn't it also where Brian Cox works? If so even more unlikely they'd be undersubscribed)
But at the end of the day it's up to applicant numbers during the cycle, and how many miss their offers. We simply can't tell until results day I'm afraid.
Reply 163
Original post by rowena7338
Hi Everyone, just to add to the mix as well, my son has also been made an offer at Durham.
Yes!

Original post by rowena7338
Yes I think so. How strange, what a complete nightmare this has been. However, good outcome. Just waiting for Durham to allocate college, until this is done we are unsure of what to buy or of costs etc. Also the department needs to get back with reading material etc. So absolutely fantastic news, but still in somewhat of a limbo situation.
Really good news, so glad it all worked out in the end.

Original post by SR781
My apologies if this has already been answered/is on another part of the website but I am having trouble finding the information - did Durham have clearing places for Theology for UK students?

Cheers
Even if they did, it doesn't mean they will have next time round. And I wouldn't lay too much store by what's on the UCAS site - unis have to update their vacancy information and aren't always that prompt about doing so, especially at this stage of the game.
Oh ok, wow i'm suprised Physics is in clearing!

It's a shot in the dark but i don't know if you know if Manchester enters adjustment for physics?

They entered clearing / adjustment this year and were asking for AAA instead of the usual A*A*A-A*AA, which raised a few eyebrows.

However, it's no longer in Clearing / Adjustment for this year, and what had happened this year is not a reliable guide to what will happen next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I should probably add that we had someone on TSR with an A*A*A offer, got A*AA and was rejected despite it being in Clearing for home applicants with AAA. Bonkers, if you ask me, but there you go.

They're off to Nottingham now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I should probably add that we had someone on TSR with an A*A*A offer, got A*AA and was rejected despite it being in Clearing for home applicants with AAA. Bonkers, if you ask me, but there you go.

They're off to Nottingham now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats madness! Why didn't he just apply through clearing then :s-smilie:
Thats madness! Why didn't he just apply through clearing then :s-smilie:

To be honest, once you've been rejected there's no point in trying to get back in through Clearing. They've had plenty of time to consider your application and grades achieved, and have rejected you.

In this case, they were offered the foundation course, but I fully understand why they didn't take it given that they had an offer from Nottingham to go straight into first year

It's just that none us could understand the decision making process in the physics department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending