The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Not me personally, but a classmate got an offer from Southampton with AAA :redface:

I guess certain universities are giving offers now, based upon the instinct that they just want the student
(Though i think my school has a special relationship with Southampton, especially since so many students was accepted there last year!
Original post by Jkizer
Not me personally, but a classmate got an offer from Southampton with AAA :redface:

I guess certain universities are giving offers now, based upon the instinct that they just want the student
(Though i think my school has a special relationship with Southampton, especially since so many students was accepted there last year!

One of my friends got an offer the day after she sent off her applications.
My application was received by UCAS two days ago and I'm now receiving loads of emails from the universities with my login details for their applications tracker, and confirming they have now received my application.

So excited now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hazard17
Guys, I got AAA at a level and im in my Gap year self teaching further maths and retaking C4, (94 achieved in C3 and 84 in C4). Do you guys think i have a shot at Economics at UCL if im predicted two A*s with AAA achieved?

(Sorry, i know so many people come with those "do i have a chance?" posts :colondollar:)

Chances are slim considering they want it all to be achieved in the "first sitting". What are your GCSEs like?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NedStark
Chances are slim considering they want it all to be achieved in the "first sitting". What are your GCSEs like?

It's just C4 that will be retaken, the entire further maths will be on the first sitting.

Also my gcse's are horrible, like completely awful compared to most on tsr. (5As, 7 Bs).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1405
Hi, I'm applying for Economics at Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and York and just got an email from UCL asking me for my modules and UMS scores that I got last year. I was just wondering if anyone else has received this and if anyone knows if we have to tell them about any resits we've taken?
Original post by Lobsta
Hi, I'm applying for Economics at Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and York and just got an email from UCL asking me for my modules and UMS scores that I got last year. I was just wondering if anyone else has received this and if anyone knows if we have to tell them about any resits we've taken?

You should have already put resits on your UCAS form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1407
Original post by Bloxorus
You should have already put resits on your UCAS form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

On our UCAS Form? Our school told us to just put down the subjects and the grades we've received in them, so I've only put down e.g. Mathematics A. So the universities won't know what modules I have taken or am planning to take, never mind if I've done any resits or not, as far as I'm aware...
Reply 1408
Is there any point in applying to Warwick with these grades

GCSE: 8A's and 4B's
A-Level: 4A's in Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Psychology
+ 2 weeks work experience in JP Morgan last summer?

The only thing holding me back is my below par GCSE's...
Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Jam

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

are they completed A-levels or AS levels ?
Reply 1410
Original post by Fas
are they completed A-levels or AS levels ?

As levels I mean :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lobsta

That's new, didn't know they did that. Maybe its because you didn't show your module grades so they're asking for them? But that doesn't explain the UMS scores.
Original post by Dr Jam

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your work experience won't help you to get into uni. However, it will help you get a job afterwards. Your grades are good nonetheless, but Warwick are known the reject based on GCSEs even though they won't admit it.
Reply 1413
Original post by Lunch_Box
Your work experience won't help you to get into uni. However, it will help you get a job afterwards. Your grades are good nonetheless, but Warwick are known the reject based on GCSEs even though they won't admit it.

Is this this the same with all the target uni's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's new, didn't know they did that. Maybe its because you didn't show your module grades so they're asking for them? But that doesn't explain the UMS scores.

I think UCL sometimes do ask for UMS scores, I think it's just hit and miss depending on the year. Last year they didn't but I know they did the year before (or before that).
Original post by Dr Jam
Is this this the same with all the target uni's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By target, what do you mean?

Original post by JOR2010
I think UCL sometimes do ask for UMS scores, I think it's just hit and miss depending on the year. Last year they didn't but I know they did the year before (or before that).

So would they ask everyone or just the selected ones?
Reply 1416
By target, what do you mean?

So would they ask everyone or just the selected ones?

Warwick, UCL, LSE Oxbridge but not applying to Oxbridge anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Jam
Warwick, UCL, LSE Oxbridge but not applying to Oxbridge anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're all are known to love a strong GCSE performance especially for Economics.
Reply 1418

Yeah, I was a bit surprised but the email definitely says UMS marks. Any ideas on whether I should include the marks I got in a January module if I resat it in the summer?

Are you applying to UCL for Economics?
Original post by Lobsta
Yeah, I was a bit surprised but the email definitely says UMS marks. Any ideas on whether I should include the marks I got in a January module if I resat it in the summer?

Are you applying to UCL for Economics?

I'd say play it safe and give both. It's what I'd do in your situation.

Yes, I'm applying to UCL but for Econ+Stats for two reasons. Mainly, the UCL course isn't as mathematical as I'd like it to be and secondly, the grade requirements are lower.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending