The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by physicsnut
but you seem to come across as a massively cocky.

Don't worry about it, I am massively cocky.
Reply 581
Original post by ZafarS
Don't worry about it, I am massively cocky.

You shouldn't be, you seem all cocky because your have read some high level physics text and can understand them, big WOOP. :confused::confused::confused:

A real physics can solve problems, and come up with their own ideas or ways, whether someone else has thought of them before is irrelevant, knowing more about something doesn't suddenly make you better at that subject. A know dozens of people who if they read the texts you were on about, would instantly have a better understanding of it then you could probably dream of...

As for teaching a class of peers, admission tutors will not really care what you taught, because that is not the point. Being able to say you taught something to a group of people is far better then saying, look at me, i read a book, anyone can do that.
This seems to be getting far too heated, everyone just enjoy the physics :smile:
Original post by Moist Penguin
This seems to be getting far too heated, everyone just enjoy the physics :smile:

I was beginning to think the same thing :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584

Very good idea.
Reply 585

this is why i miss negative rep... these people would be covered in red...
Reply 586
Original post by tipani
You shouldn't be, you seem all cocky because your have read some high level physics text and can understand them, big WOOP. :confused::confused::confused:

A real physics can solve problems, and come up with their own ideas or ways, whether someone else has thought of them before is irrelevant, knowing more about something doesn't suddenly make you better at that subject. A know dozens of people who if they read the texts you were on about, would instantly have a better understanding of it then you could probably dream of...

As for teaching a class of peers, admission tutors will not really care what you taught, because that is not the point. Being able to say you taught something to a group of people is far better then saying, look at me, i read a book, anyone can do that.

...cool story bro..

can you... can you tell it again?

To all the other people in this thread, I'm sorry for the poopstorm, I'll stop provoking in order to keep this thread as positive as possible. I didn't realise that there would be a conglomeration of discombobulated chipmunks who took the internet seriously.

If any of you need physics-related help (such as PAT questions, or MAT questions), you can shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer you. 1 rule: Don't be discombobulated (< my fav word).
Original post by ZafarS
...cool story bro..

can you... can you tell it again?

To all the other people in this thread, I'm sorry for the poopstorm, I'll stop provoking in order to keep this thread as positive as possible. I didn't realise that there would be a conglomeration of discombobulated chipmunks who took the internet seriously.

If any of you need physics-related help (such as PAT questions, or MAT questions), you can shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer you. 1 rule: Don't be discombobulated (< my fav word).

You ought to know that not all forums on the internet follow the same standards of politeness . . .
Reply 588
.....let's just all try to get along 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Offer from Bath!:smile:
Reply 590
Original post by Aftermanydays

Hi, new to this thread. I've applied to study at Bath (4 years) but so far I haven't had an offer, so well done!

I got 4A's at AS (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Geography) and am currently studying A2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry as well as AS Further Maths in my own time. I've applied to study for 4 years at Bath, Birmingham, Lancaster, Oxford and Southampton, and am now beginning to think I am being a little ambitious...

No offers so far but I have an interview for Lancaster on the 21st of October.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 591

Really well done! :woohoo:

Original post by flaptoad
Hi, new to this thread. I've applied to study at Bath (4 years) but so far I haven't had an offer, so well done!

I got 4A's at AS (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Geography) and am currently studying A2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry as well as AS Further Maths in my own time. I've applied to study for 4 years at Bath, Birmingham, Lancaster, Oxford and Southampton, and am now beginning to think I am being a little ambitious...

No offers so far but I have an interview for Lancaster on the 21st of October.

Good luck everyone!

I've also applied to Birmingham, amongst others, and I too am thinking I'm being ambitious. The longer the silence (as in no offers) goes on, the less confident I'm getting. Scary!
Reply 592

Me too woo! are you going to an applicant open day?
Reply 593
Original post by adi19956
Really well done! :woohoo:

I've also applied to Birmingham, amongst others, and I too am thinking I'm being ambitious. The longer the silence (as in no offers) goes on, the less confident I'm getting. Scary!

Yes, it's really nervewracking. Especially when some of my friends are starting to get offers and I'm just sitting here with nothing, waiting. I'd be happy with just one offer, over the Moon in fact!
Has anyone else who has applied to Southampton got some info in the post inviting you to a visit day? I sent my application off in Thursday and received it from the on Saturday, so I guess everyone who applies there gets it. There's the opportunity to sit a scholarship exam there and I don't know whether to- there was an example paper with the info and it looks pretty hard, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't get it, especially over people in their gap years who have finished the A Level, I don't know ah tricky decision :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 595
Original post by LucyW456
Has anyone else who has applied to Southampton got some info in the post inviting you to a visit day? I sent my application off in Thursday and received it from the on Saturday, so I guess everyone who applies there gets it. There's the opportunity to sit a scholarship exam there and I don't know whether to- there was an example paper with the info and it looks pretty hard, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't get it, especially over people in their gap years who have finished the A Level, I don't know ah tricky decision :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have! What day do you think you'll go? I think you might as well take the test, you've got nothing to lose :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 596
Original post by LucyW456

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did yes. I'm sitting the exam, might as well, even if I do screw up! I found this on their web site:

"If you apply through UCAS to one of our undergraduate degree programmes and meet our requirements, we will aim to invite you to visit between November and February."

That to me was quite encouraging, from this it sounds as if not everyone who applies gets invited. I could be wrong though.

I'm going on Saturday 16th by the way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 597
new to this thread so...

Hi I'm Heather
I have applied for physics at Lancaster, Southampton, Exeter, Loughbourgh and Oxford.
At the moment studying Further Maths, Physics and Business studies with an A-level in maths last year.
Got an interview at Lancaster and Exeter and been invited on a visit day to Southampton. Anyone else going to these?

Now the hard part, waiting for replies and interviews! :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone!! :biggrin:
Reply 598
Original post by heather_2
new to this thread so...

Hi I'm Heather
I have applied for physics at Lancaster, Southampton, Exeter, Loughbourgh and Oxford.
At the moment studying Further Maths, Physics and Business studies with an A-level in maths last year.
Got an interview at Lancaster and Exeter and been invited on a visit day to Southampton. Anyone else going to these?

Now the hard part, waiting for replies and interviews! :s-smilie:
Good luck to everyone!! :biggrin:

I've got an interview at Exeter too! What day is yours on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flaptoad
I did yes. I'm sitting the exam, might as well, even if I do screw up! I found this on their web site:

"If you apply through UCAS to one of our undergraduate degree programmes and meet our requirements, we will aim to invite you to visit between November and February."

That to me was quite encouraging, from this it sounds as if not everyone who applies gets invited. I could be wrong though.

I'm going on Saturday 16th by the way.

hey you're the same person who replied to me on the Birmingham thread :biggrin:
Yeh I think I will sit it, although i'm genuinely really worried I literally wont get any marks and then they won't take me at all :L
ooh yeh that's good, I guess that means that they discard people who don't have the right predicted grades straight away.
me too, hopefully- if there's enough spaces left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending