The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NedStark
I look at it differently. This is purely my opinion but I think Tier 1 is Oxbridge + LSE.

Tier 1:
Oxbridge, LSE
Tier 2:
Warwick, UCL
Tier 3:
Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Durham, Exeter
Tier 4:
York, Southampton, Surrey etc.

id rank Warwick over Oxbridge personally, but apart from that i agree with that
Reply 1781
FP3? You started that in school or just some personal studying?

Same. Although from LSE I got the "you're application is strong enough for further consideration" email. So not all bad eh?

i havent got an email :frown:

just wondering, when did you send off your ucas and when did you receive the email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hyfrjas
i havent got an email :frown:

just wondering, when did you send off your ucas and when did you receive the email?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sent off on 15/10
Received on 28/10.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since I'm sure they've got lots of applications sent around this period so it takes a while to look through them all. Also the course selector looks at other courses on top of Economics so he/she is clearly busy.

What are your grade if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 1783
Sent off on 15/10
Received on 28/10.

I wouldn't worry too much about it since I'm sure they've got lots of applications sent around this period so it takes a while to look through them all. Also the course selector looks at other courses on top of Economics so he/she is clearly busy.

What are your grade if you don't mind me asking?

im predicted A* A A A but my gcses are pretty average what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hyfrjas
im predicted A* A A A but my gcses are pretty average what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Predicted 4 A* but average GCSEs. Speaking to the admissions tutor she said they consider everyone who's met the predicted grades and you do so I'd not look too much into it.
Original post by Fas
id rank Warwick over Oxbridge personally, but apart from that i agree with that

Why Warwick over Oxbridge out of interest?
Original post by Jupperrs
Aha, thanks very much. That's nice to hear!

What's everyone's favorite 'second tier' university - ie of the ones I'm applying to.

If Exeter give me A*AA then I wont accept, and will choice between York or Nottingham. So what are people's favorites of those?

I'm applying to Southampton, I love the place and it's not too far from where I'm living currently.
A question I have for anyone who may answer it please, Should I notify Oxford Trinity college about the reasons for my GCSE performance (4A*'s 4A's 1B 1C)? - parents going through a separation during my second year examinations
It doesn't reflect my natural abilities nor my potential, achieved 4A's in AS with 90% UMS average and predicted 3A*'s + A in EPQ. The only flaw I have in my UCAS application is my GCSE profile which I believe may hold me back for being short listed for interviews, where if given the opportunity hope to excel from other applicants.
Advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance to whom replies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1788
Original post by Rafael_96
A question I have for anyone who may answer it please, Should I notify Oxford Trinity college about the reasons for my GCSE performance (4A*'s 4A's 1B 1C)? - parents going through a separation during my second year examinations
Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless theres an official mitigating circumstance thingy which your referee has mentioned, then it sounds like your just scraping the barrel with a throwaway excuse from the admissions POV
Original post by Jkizer
Unless theres an official mitigating circumstance thingy which your referee has mentioned, then it sounds like your just scraping the barrel with a throwaway excuse from the admissions POV

Reason I didn't write this in ucas was because I don't want to use an excuse, if I hold the academic aptitude and passion for subject to study at Oxford, which I believe I do :smile: then thought why mention it, although talking to a tutor I was told they'll take it into consideration if my referee writes to the college so thought I should (even told admissions I don't want to use an excuse and they interrupted saying I shouldn't think of it like that)
What do you think still?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1790
Reason I didn't write this in ucas was because I don't want to use an excuse, if I hold the academic aptitude and passion for subject to study at Oxford, which I believe I do :smile: then thought why mention it, although talking to a tutor I was told they'll take it into consideration if my referee writes to the college so thought I should (even told admissions I don't want to use an excuse and they interrupted saying I shouldn't think of it like that)
What do you think still?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your tutor writes it, then i guess that's a bit more appropriate than a possible sappy email about how you forgot to mention xxxx. Cant do any harm i guess if an authority body writes to them ^^
Original post by Jkizer
If your tutor writes it, then i guess that's a bit more appropriate than a possible sappy email about how you forgot to mention xxxx. Cant do any harm i guess if an authority body writes to them ^^

Clearly I would get a referee to write to them than myself haha, just considering if it's worth it right now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got the email from LSE too saying that my application for economics was strong enough to be considered for further consideration. But I may have made a mistake applying to LSE for maths and econ as my fifth choice because I havent talked about maths that much at all in my p.s. and plus that my first four choices were cambridge, lse, ucl and warwick all for economics. just gotta keep hoping now and hopefully I will get at least one offer.
Reply 1793
Original post by Dilzo999
I'm applying to Southampton, I love the place and it's not too far from where I'm living currently.

Yeah I'm also applying there - Would like an offer about now... :tongue:
Reply 1794
Original post by Jupperrs
Yeah I'm also applying there - Would like an offer about now... :tongue:

When did you send off your application? People at my school got offers from there around 1 week - 2 weeks.
Reason I didn't write this in ucas was because I don't want to use an excuse, if I hold the academic aptitude and passion for subject to study at Oxford, which I believe I do :smile: then thought why mention it,
Posted from TSR Mobile

Since university admissions is highly competitive and cut-throat. Sure we have a nice cohort of potential economists on TSR but we don't represent the rest of the world. A lot of people do anything to get one up against other applicants just for that 0.1% chance to turn in their favour.

If you've genuinely got circumstances then mention it. They won't look down upon you for scraping the barrel since everyone is trying to get into the top universities. If you get rejected you want to look back and say you gave 100% not think "what if I gave them details of my circumstances?".

A days work of chasing your referee to write it for you is going to mean very little looking back in hindsight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1796
Original post by Jkizer
When did you send off your application? People at my school got offers from there around 1 week - 2 weeks.

Well I sent it to my school around the start of october, but they took until the 25th to send it to Ucas because they did all the oxbridge people first, which is irritating.

So nearly a week. Hopefully i'll get one sometime next week.

Does anyone else find themselves spending a large proportion of their time checking their emails...?
Reply 1797
Since university admissions is highly competitive and cut-throat. Sure we have a nice cohort of potential economists on TSR but we don't represent the rest of the world. A lot of people do anything to get one up against other applicants just for that 0.1% chance to turn in their favour.

If you've genuinely got circumstances then mention it. They won't look down upon you for scraping the barrel since everyone is trying to get into the top universities. If you get rejected you want to look back and say you gave 100% not think "what if I gave them details of my circumstances?".

A days work of chasing your referee to write it for you is going to mean very little looking back in hindsight.

So my referee can contact Oxford directly too instead of ucas?

And what if some info were a bit too personal (eg health) and you are not comfortabl discussing that with your referee? can you inform them personally?
Original post by MissAF01
So my referee can contact Oxford directly too instead of ucas?

And what if some info were a bit too personal (eg health) and you are not comfortabl discussing that with your referee? can you inform them personally?

I'm really not sure how Oxford want it done. I know Cambridge offer a separate form that needs to be sent before the UCAS application is sent off. Otherwise it should be explained in the reference.

I don't know what's the best course of action for yourself but what I will say is talk to your referee and see what they say. Even if it's personal, the referee should be professional about it. I don't know if you can inform Oxford personally but for context I do know Cambridge want the referee to mention is, or if this is not an option then an employer or doctor. They stress not a relative though.

This is why I love you Ned, why must you have been beheaded in Season 1...
I'll contact my Head of 6 Form on Wednesday after my TSA paper and tell her to write directly to Trinity college as admissions tutor told me to.
It's not just this my parents separation that didn't allow me to achieve what I was capable of, attended a very academically poor high school with such weak subject teachers it aggravated me, coupled with me considering Swimming as a career I dedicated a lot of time to sports and didn't study much- I may say this at Interviews if I'm short listed and have the opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending