The Student Room Group

Hunger feeling in throat?

(Wasn't sure where to post this so mods feel free to move this. Thanks. :smile:)

I'm doing 24 hour fasts quite often just to trial intermittent fasting and see how I find it. I've inadvertently been doing this for a week now which I know is terrible but it just happened accidentally.

I had a decent sized lunch at 1pm with the intention of fasting until around 10am tomorrow (would have gone until 1pm but I have classes 11-4). I was feeling a little hungry earlier but that's gone now. Instead I now have this hunger feeling in my throat and chest. It's like a light pressure. I've never experienced this before and when I Google'd it some stuff came up about it being 'true' hunger however it was all from the same dr so I was sceptical to believe it so I thought I'd ask here. :smile:

Also obviously only eating on normal sized meal a day is terrible and it wasn't ever my plan to do that (before I get all the 'starvation mode' stuff haha). Is anyone else here doing intermittent fasting if so how many days fasting are you doing a week? I'm wanting to lose weight and my lifestyle is going to be pretty sedentary the next few months unfortunately. :frown:

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
That's your body telling you to EAT, obviously. What on earth are you playing at? Go eat a proper meal right now you silly girl.
Reply 2
Original post by Cucurbita
That's your body telling you to EAT, obviously. What on earth are you playing at? Go eat a proper meal right now you silly girl.

ok, will do. I haven't been starving myself and purposely doing long fasts it was only because last week was half term and I got in late most days, ate dinner and then went to bed. but I understand how it comes across as if I'm forcing myself to eat one tiny meal a day or something lol.
Reply 3
It's not " true hunger " or even hunger, feelings of being hungry pass in about 15 minuites.
If you dont eat for ages you dont just stay hungry, your body gets hungry then when you don't starts using up its internal energy ie fat and you dont feel hungry anymore
Maybe you need winding :wink:

Also just because she has been doing 24hr fasting dosent make her silly, Having 2/3 low/0 calorie days a week and then eating what you want on the others is a pretty good way to diet and has some scientific backing of actually being quite healthy, Obviously as long as when you do eat your eating the right things.

You shouldnt fast or not eat at all thats unhealthy, Instead Have 2 days in a row where you consume 500 calories or less but only with very healthy foods and then the next day eat a normal 1500 calories. Fasting will only make you put on more weight when you eat because if your body goes into starvation mode then when you finally do eat it will hold onto every single calorie possible, its like an extreme version of yo-yo dieting.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by chr1s5opher
It's not " true hunger " or even hunger, feelings of being hungry pass in about 15 minuites.
If you dont eat for ages you dont just stay hungry, your body gets hungry then when you don't starts using up its internal energy ie fat and you dont feel hungry anymore
Maybe you need winding :wink:

Also just because she has been doing 24hr fasting dosent make her silly, Having 2/3 low/0 calorie days a week and then eating what you want on the others is a pretty good way to diet and has some scientific backing of actually being quite healthy, Obviously as long as when you do eat your eating the right things.

You shouldnt fast or not eat at all thats unhealthy, Instead Have 2 days in a row where you consume 500 calories or less but only with very healthy foods and then the next day eat a normal 1500 calories. Fasting will only make you put on more weight when you eat because if your body goes into starvation mode then when you finally do eat it will hold onto every single calorie possible, its like an extreme version of yo-yo dieting.

Thanks. :smile: I appreciate you saying that I'm not 'silly' as that was a little patronising haha. Oh okay, that sounds like a good technique of having 2 days restricted and then 5 days normal.

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 5
Do you know why this is happening? I have thr same issue!! Help
This is called true hunger. Hunger pains in your stomach are more withdrawal from unhealthy eating. This almost pulling sensation in your throat and mouth is accurate body triggered hunger. Youre ok, apparently its hest to let your body tell you when you need to eat, through true hunger, and not toxic hunger
Starvation mode is ********, unless you don’t eat for weeks you won’t feed off your muscle and organs.

Find out how much you're eating in the whole week, the weekly calories is more important than daily. Make sure this number comes out to something healthy.
Original post by Cucurbita

I feel like I’m starving to death when i cut weight, yet I still eat enough to sustainably lose fat and get stronger.
Reply 8
not accurate you need to keep track on daily calories since your body doesn’t wait a week to see how many calories it digested all week. it mainly happens when you sleep. also if you go on a low calorie diet and work put a lot the reason you lose fat itself faster is because your body has to use water and other minerals from the fat stored in your body while you work out. that’s why you lose weight
Reply 9
Hello i am having this exact feeling for 5 days now. I hate it i thought i was really hingey but when i eat a lot, i still feel the hunger. Im going crazy.
Reply 10
to be fair, it takes twenty minutes for your brain to tell you that you’re full. a great tip would be to eat slower. but also, if you haven’t been giving yourself enough nutrients or not eating enough for at least a couple weeks, the body’s response can sometimes be chronic hunger. protein, protein, protein!
UR WRONG. ITS CALLED THROAT HUNGER it may be acid reflux. Throat hunger is not real hunger.
UR WRONG. ITS CALLED THROAT HUNGER it may be acid reflux. Throat hunger is not real hunger.
To frame this answer I have a BSc (Hons - 1st) Nutrition and am accredited with the Association for Nutrition (ANutr) continuing to do a Master's by Research in Psychophysiology (nutrition-based).
Firstly, you should consult a medical professional before you undertake intermittent fasting - yes yes I know boring but there are very real risks and you should be safe. This would involve the ABCDE of nutritional analysis and as bare minimum a check-up with full blood counts by your doctor.
Secondly, intermittent fasting in itself is not a great way to lose weight. Calorie deficit is more effective than abstaining and then gorging.
Thirdly, I am not sure what protocol of intermittent fasting you have chosen but generally it is thought that a 12-16 hour fast should be sufficient. This also allows at least 2 meals since anti-nutrients etc can come into play with a single meal. Certain nutrients compete with each other for absorption and therefore you may develop deficiency.
Fourthly, you do not have to be sedentary in the future. Research shows people are far more efficient working in shorter bursts and benefit from fresh air, exercise and mental downtime as far as productivity, mental health and sustainability are concerned.
Additionally, depending on your age (18-21 for example) you might still be growing so this would be inappropriate to say the least. Also for females, bone formation in this age range continues to be vital.
Please do think on these points and consult with an appropriate professional. Also please sign up for study skills courses.
I wish you the very best.
PS: if you must fast, it is utterly vital that you hydrate with consideration too for your minerals (electrolytes).
Original post by BourneSaver
To frame this answer I have a BSc (Hons - 1st) Nutrition and am accredited with the Association for Nutrition (ANutr) continuing to do a Master's by Research in Psychophysiology (nutrition-based).
Firstly, you should consult a medical professional before you undertake intermittent fasting - yes yes I know boring but there are very real risks and you should be safe. This would involve the ABCDE of nutritional analysis and as bare minimum a check-up with full blood counts by your doctor.
Secondly, intermittent fasting in itself is not a great way to lose weight. Calorie deficit is more effective than abstaining and then gorging.
Thirdly, I am not sure what protocol of intermittent fasting you have chosen but generally it is thought that a 12-16 hour fast should be sufficient. This also allows at least 2 meals since anti-nutrients etc can come into play with a single meal. Certain nutrients compete with each other for absorption and therefore you may develop deficiency.
Fourthly, you do not have to be sedentary in the future. Research shows people are far more efficient working in shorter bursts and benefit from fresh air, exercise and mental downtime as far as productivity, mental health and sustainability are concerned.
Additionally, depending on your age (18-21 for example) you might still be growing so this would be inappropriate to say the least. Also for females, bone formation in this age range continues to be vital.
Please do think on these points and consult with an appropriate professional. Also please sign up for study skills courses.
I wish you the very best.
PS: if you must fast, it is utterly vital that you hydrate with consideration too for your minerals (electrolytes).

Thread is 9 years old matey
Ah well still useful in case anyone wanders down same road. Didn't see that :smile:

Latest