The Student Room Group

Applying for 2 different courses

Hi, I'm planning on applying for both Computer Science and Physical Geography, so for example I apply for 3 CS courses and 2 PG courses, is this ok to do or is it frowned upon? Also, for my personal statement, how in depth should I go for each course, should I speak about both courses as if it was my main course?

Reply 1
Original post by Lunation
Hi, I'm planning on applying for both Computer Science and Physical Geography, so for example I apply for 3 CS courses and 2 PG courses, is this ok to do or is it frowned upon? Also, for my personal statement, how in depth should I go for each course, should I speak about both courses as if it was my main course?

With those 2 subjects it's very risky as your introduction maybe a bit vague and 1 paragraph of your PS won't even be relevant for the admissions.

Applying for 2 different courses isn't so much the problem but it's the difference between your 2 courses
For your PS Inwould say:
Intro
2 paragraphs on your subject
Extra curic
Conclusion

Obviously you can change it but I think it's the neatest format

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
With those 2 subjects it's very risky as your introduction maybe a bit vague and 1 paragraph of your PS won't even be relevant for the admissions.

Applying for 2 different courses isn't so much the problem but it's the difference between your 2 courses
For your PS Inwould say:
Intro
2 paragraphs on your subject
Extra curic
Conclusion

Obviously you can change it but I think it's the neatest format

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks, I'm still not 100% on my course choices, hence the 2 different ones, but that's something I'll need to work out, thanks though! :smile:
I think you should consider which you're more inclined to studying before applying. Narrow your degree course to one subject field.
Reply 4
If an admissions person sees your PS the first thing they'll think is that the person is unsure with their choice and is therefore too risky to take up as they may end up hating and/or deciding to leave. Just pick one now.
Reply 5
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I think you should consider which you're more inclined to studying before applying. Narrow your degree course to one subject field.

Well the issue I have is that although Computer Science is my main interest, I've never studied it before and have no real experience in the field, so I'm not 100% sure whether it would be for me, Physical Geography on the other hand is something I've always been interested in but not necessarily sure that it's something I want to pursue as a career.

Any advice?
Well the issue I have is that although Computer Science is my main interest, I've never studied it before and have no real experience in the field, so I'm not 100% sure whether it would be for me, Physical Geography on the other hand is something I've always been interested in but not necessarily sure that it's something I want to pursue as a career.

Any advice?

Look into the modules offered for the Computer science course, and do some online research on the types of things you will be learning and assess it in terms of that. Do the same for your geography courses, seems you undermined the research aspect when considering what you want to do for a degree.
Reply 7

Any advice?

I would suggest try going to the specific sections of the forums and ask students about their course. You can also look around university subject guides to get an idea of what you will be studying.

It's indeed a very tricky decision, and to be honest transferring courses in university is slightly common.

Perhaps talk to career advisors / teachers also ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will have to decide on a course at some stage, though. Why do you think this decision will be any easier to make in a few months time? If you are genuinely unsure about what you want to do, have you considered taking a gap year which you could use to gain some experience in both fields to help you decide.

Applying for two very different courses is frowned upon, as it shows a lack of comitment, and makes universities think you would be more likely to drop out. There is no way to adequately cover two subjects in your PS in enough detail for signle honours degrees, either.

If you can't make a decision now, it is best to wait until you are sure, even if that would mean reapplying next year.
Reply 9
im on my gap year and i might be applying for prevetinary and dental technology :/ THEYRE SO DIFFERENT
Reply 10
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Look into the modules offered for the Computer science course, and do some online research on the types of things you will be learning and assess it in terms of that. Do the same for your geography courses, seems you undermined the research aspect when considering what you want to do for a degree.

Original post by Jkizer
I would suggest try going to the specific sections of the forums and ask students about their course. You can also look around university subject guides to get an idea of what you will be studying.

It's indeed a very tricky decision, and to be honest transferring courses in university is slightly common.

Perhaps talk to career advisors / teachers also ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, I'll look into it. I have done plenty of course subject research I think its more of a question of what I want to do after Uni which is something I should talk about with a careers advisor, so thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending