The Student Room Group

What to wear for volunteering/work experience in a PRIMARY SCHOOL????

I've going to volunteer in my old primary school for work experience tomorrow, but my mum's just told me I can't wear jeans or trainers!!! :eek:

I don't know what to wear, I live in trainers. And it's only a primary school, hardly a fancy workplace :erm: I do have dresses that I can wear, but shoes ... :redface: Ughh.

What should I wear? Is it really a 'no' to trainers? :sad:
Reply 1
I've had work experience in a few primary schools and in all of them it was a smart casual dress code so meant no jeans (in one you could wear them but they had to be smart and either dark blue or black) or trainers. Most work places have a similar dress code. When I went I'd wear things like smart black or grey trousers, jumper/blouse and shoes which are either flat or a low heel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gemmam
I've had work experience in a few primary schools and in all of them it was a smart casual dress code. I'd wear smart black or grey trousers, jumper/blouse and shoes which are either flat or a low heel.

Thank you :smile:
Oh dear ... I am going to feel sooo uncomfortable XD
Reply 3
Original post by sosadsosad
Thank you :smile:
Oh dear ... I am going to feel sooo uncomfortable XD

No problem :smile:
Reply 4
Whatever you decide DO NOT put on a shaggy white wig and cigar.
Reply 5
Original post by A5ko
Whatever you decide DO NOT put on a shaggy white wig and cigar.

Helpful :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Helpful :rolleyes:

You're welcome.
Reply 7
I've going to volunteer in my old primary school for work experience tomorrow, but my mum's just told me I can't wear jeans or trainers!!! :eek:

I don't know what to wear, I live in trainers. And it's only a primary school, hardly a fancy workplace :erm: I do have dresses that I can wear, but shoes ... :redface: Ughh.

What should I wear? Is it really a 'no' to trainers? :sad:

You don't see teachers coming into work in jeans and trainers do you? It might not be a fancy workplace but you need to set an example to the kids and they need to see a reason to respect you. As far as shoes go any pumps or boots would do.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
You don't see teachers coming into work in jeans and trainers do you? It might not be a fancy workplace but you need to set an example to the kids and they need to see a reason to respect you. As far as shoes go any pumps or boots would do.

Sigh... I guess. :frown: I only had one pair of pumps (my old school shoes), and I say 'had', because my mum has just informed me that she threw them away ages ago!!!! :mad:

Aghhh. I just want to wear a standard jumper, jeans and trainers look. I don't think it looks particularly scruffy :frown: Sigh. I hate having to dress up.
Reply 9
When I did work experience at my old primary school I tried to dress smartly on the first day, I think I wore a pair of plain black school trousers, those black slip on shoes and just a normal pale blue jumper. By the 3rd day volunteering there I noticed that some of the teachers came in dark jeans so copied and wore jeans myself.

I'd say stay away from trainers and just keep an eye on what everyone else is wearing on your first day :smile:
Reply 10
I would say go "smart-casual", however unhelpful that may be

Basically: Any skirt that is not too short or any trousers that are not jeans (actually, smart dark jeans could work but avoid scruffy and/or blue jeans) or very casual, eg cargo trousers.
Any random top that is not a hoodie or similar (or dirty or having large slogans or brand names)- perhaps wear a blouse/shirt if you are wearing more casual trousers/skirt.
Shoes that are not trainers- boots, pumps, leather shoes etc.

Remember, you are a volunteer (and presumably young) so you don't need to dress as formally as the head-teacher, just wear something that is appropriate for the environment (ie not too revealing) and not so scruffy that it looks like you don't care.
I would say Lederhosen.
Reply 12
Thanks guys. I just wore a dress and a pair of boots in the end, lol. :redface:
Reply 13
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
I would say Lederhosen.

English, plz :hmpf:
I live in trainers

You poor thing ... trainers make a small home, even for a rabbit like you :sad:
Reply 15
Original post by placenta medicae talpae