The Student Room Group

anyone else noticed that when people receive offers...

anyone else noticed that when people who receive offered from say sheffield hallam, why they write a status, tweet or whatever saying theyve got an offer from "sheffield" when they technically haven't?

i might just be over thinking it but why not just put the whole name? Could well cause confusion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by seanbolton94
anyone else noticed that when people who receive offered from say sheffield hallam, why they write a status, tweet or whatever saying theyve got an offer from "sheffield" when they technically haven't?

i might just be over thinking it but why not just put the whole name? Could well cause confusion

Cause the University of Sheffield is the better one, so it's nicer for them to confuse other people I guess lol. Same for Nottingham TRENT, Oxford BROOKES, Manchester MET, Edinburgh NAPIER, Liverpool HOPE
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Lol people can write that if it makes them feel better.... why do you care?
I didn't even know Sheffield Hallam existed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by seanbolton94

Because they wish they were here.
because the idiots don't want to admit they go to hallam, it sounds better when they say only sheffield

was talking to some guy on the train today. he asked me what i study, i said medicine. he said is that at hallam? i told him don't be silly, hallam is where the retards go. he replied but i go to hallam. awks
Original post by Dominic Powell
Because they wish they were here.
<br />
<br />

i'm at sheff too, what are you studying?
Reply 7
Original post by AreebWithaHat
because the idiots don't want to admit they go to hallam, it sounds better when they say only sheffield

was talking to some guy on the train today. he asked me what i study, i said medicine. he said is that at hallam? i told him don't be silly, hallam is where the retards go. he replied but i go to hallam. awks

Wow lol....Words cannot describe your social ineptitude :rolleyes:
It's clearly because I want to boast about how I have ambitions to go to Oxford

Spoiler

Reply 9
Same when people talk about Glasgow, instead of saying Glasgow Caledonian.
Original post by cuckoo99
Wow lol....Words cannot describe your social ineptitude :rolleyes:
<br />
<br />

<br />
<br />

it's not that rude, i joke with my hallam buddies all the time

also sorry how can you even associate a ****ing medical degree to hallam?! it's just ungodly
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd do the same thing if I was in that position.
Oxford (Brooks)
Manchester (Metropolitan)
etc...
Original post by keromedic
I'd do the same thing if I was in that position. <br />
Oxford (Brooks)<br />
Manchester (Metropolitan)<br />
etc...
<br />
<br />

i would rather say i'm working at maccies

i would rather say i'm working at maccies

Why? Working at mccies is normal for a late teen/young adult lol, not exactly a slightly better alternative.
Reply 14
I just got into Harvard (Lesley University).
I think most people don't really pay much attention for most universities.
A lot of people likely don't actually know the difference between their university and the university of wherever you're form.

I think it's also important to remember the context of where these people are saying they got into Sheffield. Are their friends highly intelligent people who go to the top institutions? Perhaps not. Therefore "I got into Sheffield" would mean to these people Sheffield Hallam, just as "I got into Birmingham" could mean BCU.
I doubt they are legit trying to pass off that they are going to a better university, in fact the thought probably hasn't crossed their mind. The only time that would be true is if they said "OMG just got into oxford" when they are going to the 'other' oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
<br />
<br />

i'm at sheff too, what are you studying?

Chemical engineering, I see you do medicine, nice :smile:
Reply 17

That's be bit of dickhead thing to say to be honest. You couldn't have just said no and left it at that?
Original post by Nerd2
That's be bit of dickhead thing to say to be honest. You couldn't have just said no and left it at that?

Yeah I am a **** though, I always say what I feel and not just on TSR...
Reply 19
Other examples:
Nottingham and Nottingham Trent
Oxford and Oxford Brookes
Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin (both are in Cambridge)
Liverpool and Liverpool John Moores/Liverpool Hope
UCL and UCLan
Glasgow and Glasgow Caledonian
Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan
Cardiff and Cardiff Metropolitan
Leeds and Leeds Metropolitan/Leeds Trinity
Southampton and Southampton Solent
Edinburgh and Edinburgh Napier
York and York St John
Queen Mary and Queen Margaret (QM)

I imagine it makes it easier to show off when people think you're going to the better one :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending