The Student Room Group

6 word story

I've recently come across what is called a "6 word story" which has been attributed to Ernest Hemingway and the story goes like this. For sale:baby shoes, never worn.

Can you guys figure out, what the story is actually saying?
Do you think it counts as a "story"
Can you write a 6 word story of your own?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think its supposed to highlight the tragedy of stillborns? the child is dead, the parents have put an ad up to sell the clothing they brought for it.... and it most definitely counts as a story, i mean, it depends how you define "art" haha bc anything and everything can be a story by the words true definition. what defines art, what defines an emotional experience lol

my own story (but its a bit pants): i called her to know myself.
Reply 2
Then they lived happily ever after! =D
Reply 3
Giovanni do not eat that lizard
Reply 4
I warned you Adele. Now look.
Reply 5
Original post by kylobe
i think its supposed to highlight the tragedy of stillborns? the child is dead, the parents have put an ad up to sell the clothing they brought for it.... and it most definitely counts as a story, i mean, it depends how you define "art" haha bc anything and everything can be a story by the words true definition. what defines art, what defines an emotional experience lol

my own story (but its a bit pants): i called her to know myself.

I think you've got the concept of the story spot on and i completely agree with you that it is in fact a story, and could you explain the concept of your 6 word story cause i cant seem to figure it out
Reply 6
Your daughter was negged to death
Reply 7
Original post by Delta, Δ
Then they lived happily ever after! =D

One could argue whether this is a story or not because it doesnt have a beginning and middle but only and ending

Original post by the bear
Giovanni do not eat that lizard

I actually really like this one
Reply 8
Original post by AFreeman
I think you've got the concept of the story spot on and i completely agree with you that it is in fact a story, and could you explain the concept of your 6 word story cause i cant seem to figure it out

sure!! i was thinking about the futility of trying to get love to complete you, and i was thinking about phoning your s.o. to try and find a piece of yourself. goodness knows, its up for interpretation, and im sure whatever you were thinking of is true and valid! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Turn left at the baldacchino Excellency
Reply 10
Original post by kylobe
sure!! i was thinking about the futility of trying to get love to complete you, and i was thinking about phoning your s.o. to try and find a piece of yourself. goodness knows, its up for interpretation, and im sure whatever you were thinking of is true and valid! :biggrin:

Ahh, now I understand and that idea sort of reminds me of a quote from the film 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' I know i've gone completely off topic but oh well the quote goes [h="1"]“Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a ****ed-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.”[/h]
This is a load of ****
Reply 12
Ahh, now I understand and that idea sort of reminds me of a quote from the film 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' I know i've gone completely off topic but oh well the quote goes “Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a ****ed-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.”

thats such a good quote and thats what i was trying to get across ahh!!!! thank you for showing me ^__^
Reply 13
Putin stroked the elderly German's moustache
Reply 14
One could argue whether this is a story or not because it doesnt have a beginning and middle but only and ending

I actually really like this one

No one said this is an ending. :colone:
Sale: Parachute, never opened, used once.
Reply 16
is it fixed yet Sir Jimmy ?
Reply 17
Original post by EsomR
Sale: Parachute, never opened, used once.

This is actually genius, you couldn't have possibly just come up with it on the spot right now, if so bravo to you my friend you have potential to be a great writer one day!
Forest of doubt hides tree inside.

Hmm...

Do you think it counts as a "story"
Can you write a 6 word story of your own?

Yes,I think it still counts.
My story:
Three,two,one.What?Let's party!
What a story :eek: I amaze myself :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending