The Student Room Group

Planning to visit Mecca as a non-Muslim

Me and my friends are thinking of going on holiday in the summer, and we thought it'd be cool to go to some place unusual. They suggested North Korea, which would be interesting, if a bit harrowing, but I suggested we go to Mecca. It'd be a pretty awesome story if we manager to sneak in and see what it's like.

Now, none of us are Muslims so we'd obviously have to bone up on some of the customs and maybe grow beards, but apart from that, how hard is it? What kind of things would we need to know? If the worst comes to the worst and we get caught, what will the Saudi officials do?

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HenryKissinger
Me and my friends are thinking of going on holiday in the summer, and we thought it'd be cool to go to some place unusual. They suggested North Korea, which would be interesting, if a bit harrowing, but I suggested we go to Mecca. It'd be a pretty awesome story if we manager to sneak in and see what it's like.

Now, none of us are Muslims so we'd obviously have to bone up on some of the customs and maybe grow beards, but apart from that, how hard is it? What kind of things would we need to know? If the worst comes to the worst and we get caught, what will the Saudi officials do?

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

You'll find out when they catch you. :smile:
Reply 2
Well it has been done before...
Reply 3
This'll probably sound dumb but....

Is there any particular reason a non-Muslim can't go and visit the site?
Reply 4
Original post by Reform
You'll find out when they catch you. :smile:

Apparently they don't kill you or anything. I doubt the Saudis would risk executing a group of British citizens because they were in the wrong place. Anyway, this thread is to help make sure we're not caught...
Reply 5
Apparently they don't kill you or anything. I doubt the Saudis would risk executing a group of British citizens because they were in the wrong place. Anyway, this thread is to help make sure we're not caught...

They wouldn't dare execute any British citizens for such a thing for fear of a diplomatic backlash.
Reply 6
Original post by joey11223

Of course. It's an order from Allah in the Quran!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Umar1
They wouldn't dare execute any British citizens for such a thing for fear of a diplomatic backlash.

Exactly. I am prepared to take a few lashings, though. That'd be a cool story.
why don't you just go to a temple or something and not risk getting caught?
Reply 9

O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Wise. (9:28)

You'll probably be taken to the courts and depending on your intent, they'll charge you as appropriate. The punishments for lying about your faith aren't light.
Original post by Reform

You'll probably be taken to the courts and depending on your intent, they'll charge you as appropriate. The punishments for lying about your faith aren't light.

How on Earth could they prove he isn't a Muslim?
Reply 11
Original post by Reform
O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Wise. (9:28)

surely that just disallows polytheists, not people of other monotheistic religions or atheists?
Original post by yo radical one

Good point, it's impossible.

Unless you openly declare your beliefs.
They will give you 10 good lashings in public.
Original post by Reform

Hmm so that's the Polytheists, what about Athiests or Agnostics? Also due to the trinity are Christians considered Polytheists or being people of the book, are they treated less harshly?

Also I appreciate a non-Muslim couldn't go right up to the Kaaba but what about the city in general?

Ah...wait, wiki seems to say non-Muslims are forbidden from entering the city at all.
I plan on performing Hajj or Umrah as an Ex-Muslim.
Reply 16
Original post by lucaf
surely that just disallows polytheists, not people of other monotheistic religions or atheists?

The meaning is someone who is spiritually impure thus this disqualifies anyone who isn't a Muslim.

Hmm so that's the Polytheists, what about Athiests or Agnostics? Also due to the trinity are Christians considered Polytheists or being people of the book, are they treated less harshly?

Also I appreciate a non-Muslim couldn't go right up to the Kaaba but what about the city in general?

Ah...wait, wiki seems to say non-Muslims are forbidden from entering the city at all.

Refer to the above answer.

Also, I believe they're allowed in the outskirts of Madinah but they're not allowed to enter past a certain point. In any case, what would you guys do there? It's a place of worship.
Reply 17
Original post by Reform
The meaning is someone who is spiritually impure thus this disqualifies anyone who isn't a Muslim.

Refer to the above answer.

Also, I believe they're allowed in the outskirts of Madinah but they're not allowed to enter past a certain point. In any case, what would you guys do there? It's a place of worship.

polytheist has a very particular meaning, so unless it is a mistranslation it shouldn't ban the others. Jew and Christians at least are normally considered separate to polytheists in islam as "people of the book". if it were banning everyone surely it would say disbeliever rather than polytheists?

as for what you would want to do there, see the sights? it is an important and interesting historical location.
Reply 18
A non-Muslim is not allowed to go to Mecca but I'm sure people can sneak in.
Reply 19
Original post by yo radical one

Don't you know what a passport is?

Quick Reply

Latest