The Student Room Group

Slight chance my plans are scuppered (general advice required)

I live in Newcastle and I want to go to Newcastle University. I have an offer (AAB) for English and plan to put this as my firm choice. I planned to have Leicester as my insurance as the website said ABB was the likely offer. When I got the offer, however, it was AAB.
I have now received all my offers and they're all AAB (one's AAA!). I really don't want to move away so I would have had to try and get the 'AAB' anyway, I'm just a bit worried now though because I've got nothing to fall back on.
I thought because I lived in the city that might help but apparently not, and now that I've got to get those grades there is pressure and I don't like that.
Come August, and I don't get them, my plans will be , as I say, 'scuppered.'
Original post by Mattylong28
I live in Newcastle and I want to go to Newcastle University. I have an offer (AAB) for English and plan to put this as my firm choice. I planned to have Leicester as my insurance as the website said ABB was the likely offer. When I got the offer, however, it was AAB.
I have now received all my offers and they're all AAB (one's AAA!). I really don't want to move away so I would have had to try and get the 'AAB' anyway, I'm just a bit worried now though because I've got nothing to fall back on.
I thought because I lived in the city that might help but apparently not, and now that I've got to get those grades there is pressure and I don't like that.

Looking at it dispassionately, what are the chances that you will/won't get AAB? What did you get at AS? What are your predictions? How has any coursework submitted so far this year gone? ditto any exams taken?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Looking at it dispassionately, what are the chances that you will/won't get AAB? What did you get at AS? What are your predictions? How has any coursework submitted so far this year gone? ditto any exams taken?

I'm pretty sure I will get an A in English Lit and a B in history, but whether I get an A or B in English language is a worry.
What did you get at AS?
Reply 4
What did you get at AS?

ABCC (A was 100%. B was few marks off A and one C was few marks off B). Resitting the B.
Reply 5

Everyone should take at least one gap year before university, continuing to live with their parents - maybe more if you find a cushy job that you can save money from.

So it wouldn't be the end of the world if you failed to get any of your choices, just re-apply. You could even re-take an A-level if you miss the grades. In any case, it is perfectly possible to beg a place on the phone on results day even if you do miss the grades. Especially if you have a strong application in other ways.
Unfortunately, universities can give out whatever offer they like. This is why it's a good idea to apply to have two very safe choices, just incase one puts their offer up.

At this stage, you may as well firm Newcastle if that's where you really want to go, and chose one other university as an insurance. Even though they are asking for the same grades, it's possible that Leicester might be a bit more lenient on results day. If you get ABB, rather than AAB, you still won't count towards student number controls, so they could chose to let you in anyway.

If you do miss your offers on results day, and neither choice lets you in, then you have two options. One is to go through clearing. The other is to wait a year and reapply. Going through clearing isn't ideal for everyone, so you should think carefully about whether this is something you want to do.

Hopefully, you'll get AAB and be let into Newcastle and none of this will matter.
ABCC (A was 100%. B was few marks off A and one C was few marks off B). Resitting the B.

Well, apart from English Lit you do indeed have some work to do. I know you said that you don't like that pressure, but life is full of similar situations where you have to 'perform' in less than ideal circumstances.

I think the overall advice you have received here is sound. If you get AAB you are in at Newcastle. Results slightly below that might suffice there or possibly at Leicester - there is no way of knowing until the day itself.

And if you don't get in, take a gap year. Loads of people do it, just make sure it is constructive rather than lazing around playing computer games! :smile:
Reply 8
Last year on results day, my plans were also 'scuppered' :frown: but I just decided to take a gap year and reapply - working at the moment and chilling out, looking for random volunteering placements for fun, saving money to go travelling before I start uni - it's really not that bad and having a few extra months to make decisions about uni, moving out, etc. really proved to be invaluable! :smile:
Original post by xsindy
Last year on results day, my plans were also 'scuppered' :frown: but I just decided to take a gap year and reapply - working at the moment and chilling out, looking for random volunteering placements for fun, saving money to go travelling before I start uni - it's really not that bad and having a few extra months to make decisions about uni, moving out, etc. really proved to be invaluable! :smile:

There you go OP! Not getting in isn't necessarily a disaster, so you can relax a little and take some pressure off yourself! :smile:
Reply 10
There you go OP! Not getting in isn't necessarily a disaster, so you can relax a little and take some pressure off yourself! :smile:

That does make it seem not quite so bad.
Reply 11

That does make it seem not quite so bad.

Yay! Glad I could actually help - to some extent :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending