The Student Room Group

Maintenance Grant

Yo,

Basically I'm currently living in a household that earns less than 12k per annum between everyone; and I plan to move to either Newcastle or Leeds to study next year.

In regards to the maintenance grant; I believe I am entitled to it? I'm guessing by "grant" it's non-repayable? And is this grant given INSTEAD of the maintenance loan? Doesn't seem to make much sense if not because the grant is less than the loan.
Reply 1
I would of thought you are, if your eligible for the maintenance grant then you'll get less maintenance loan. Look at bursaries that the place your are looking to study at offers as you're likely to get the grant then there's a good chance of getting bursaries too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dark Horse
Yo,

Basically I'm currently living in a household that earns less than 12k per annum between everyone; and I plan to move to either Newcastle or Leeds to study next year.

In regards to the maintenance grant; I believe I am entitled to it? I'm guessing by "grant" it's non-repayable? And is this grant given INSTEAD of the maintenance loan? Doesn't seem to make much sense if not because the grant is less than the loan.

Hi,

I'm Joe and am a first year student at the University of Bath.

To find out how much of a grant you are eligible to, use the student finance calculator.

This calculator is provided by the finance website so is completely accurate, and is very easy to use. You can then save the estimate provided to use on your actual student finance application form, saving you a little bit of time.

With regards to getting a grant or loan - you do receive both a grant AND a loan. The maintenance grant just reduces the amount of loan you have to take out, thus reducing your debt (as, like you correctly said, you do not have to repay the maintenance grant).

I hope this helps answer your questions and if you have anymore, please do let me know.

Joe
Reply 3
Yo,

As others have said, grant and loan (as well as any university bursary, if eligible) are paid together, but the Maintenance Grant does take a little bit of the income asssessed part of the loan. But you still have more money by taking the grant.

There's also the Special Support Grant for certain qualifying disabled students. This does not reduce the loan (as far as I'm aware) and isn't considered when calculating income based benefits either. However, I stress it's only if you are a qualifying person with a disability.
If you are entitled to a grant your loan entitlement is reduced by 50p for every £1 of grant received.
Reply 5
Original post by River85
As others have said, grant and loan (as well as any university bursary, if eligible) are paid together, but the Maintenance Grant does take a little bit of the income asssessed part of the loan. But you still have more money by taking the grant.

There's also the Special Support Grant for certain qualifying disabled students. This does not reduce the loan (as far as I'm aware) and isn't considered when calculating income based benefits either. However, I stress it's only if you are a qualifying person with a disability.

Sorry this information is incorrect.

Lone parents may also apply for ssg (and I'm sure some other categories which I can't remember)
Reply 6
Original post by murpoh
Sorry this information is incorrect.

Lone parents may also apply for ssg (and I'm sure some other categories which I can't remember)

For gooness sake, I do know that. Wasn't at my clearest last night.
:facepalm:

To clarify, you will get the Special Support Grant if you're entitled to certain benefits such as Housing Benefit, Disability Living Allowance, or Income Support. The idea being that it shouldn't disadvantage students claiming income based benefits as it's not counted as income for certain benefits (but the Maintenance Grant, or a large part of it at least, is). This can include certain students with disabilities and lone parents.

As for other categories, it might include those who have a partner claiming JSA (even if not a FT student), and the JSA claim is for the couple.
Reply 7
Original post by University Of Bath

x

Original post by balotelli12
If you are entitled to a grant your loan entitlement is reduced by 50p for every £1 of grant received.

Original post by River85
x

According to the student finance calculator UoB posted:-

Untitled.png

Is that 50p reduction for every £1 of Maintenance Grant received in regards to the Maintenance Loan confirmed anywhere? This image has me believing that I could be entitled to over £7000; which I would love to believe, but don't.

The calculator does also ask about additional funding. I've looked into the bursaries offered by my firm and insurance choice institutions and my firm choice offers one for students from low income band households, and also a bursary for those who achieve certain grades. I am entitled to the former and I'm halfway towards achieving the desired grades for the latter. Although its a separate issue as to whether or not there are prepared to offer both bursary packages? I suppose if there are offered for completely different reasons then its a possibility? In regards to the finance calculator: the "additional funding" seems to only include bursaries offered by the NHS, Department of Health and some Scottish body that I can't remember. I'm thinking, then, that being eligible and receiving bursary packages from my firm choice will not affect my entitlements from SFE?

I need to phone SFE anyway to straighten a few things out on Monday so I guess I'll ask all of these questions. Perhaps I should phone my firm choice also.
Reply 8
According to the student finance calculator UoB posted:-

Untitled.png

Is that 50p reduction for every £1 of Maintenance Grant received in regards to the Maintenance Loan confirmed anywhere? This image has me believing that I could be entitled to over £7000; which I would love to believe, but don't.

That estimation seems reasonable.

The calculator does also ask about additional funding. I've looked into the bursaries offered by my firm and insurance choice institutions and my firm choice offers one for students from low income band households, and also a bursary for those who achieve certain grades. I am entitled to the former and I'm halfway towards achieving the desired grades for the latter. Although its a separate issue as to whether or not there are prepared to offer both bursary packages? I suppose if there are offered for completely different reasons then its a possibility?

As far as I'm aware, if you qualify for both you receive both, but this would need to be clarified with your university.

Note some universities may place restrictions or conditions to receiving a bursary/grant. For example, at Durham they do not provide the money as cash. Instead it is deducted from your college accomodation bill in your first and, sometimes, third year. Cash is only given in the middle year(s) as most "live out" in private accomodation during this time.

This, however, isn't commmon. Durham do this as they like to make a big deal about the "collegiate experience" and encourage as many people to live in as possible. Most universities will provide it as cash.

In regards to the finance calculator: the "additional funding" seems to only include bursaries offered by the NHS, Department of Health and some Scottish body that I can't remember. I'm thinking, then, that being eligible and receiving bursary packages from my firm choice will not affect my entitlements from SFE?

That is correct. Any university bursary will be in addition to SFE funding. One will not affect the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending