The Student Room Group

Can I drop my fourth AS after receiving my offers?

I'm currently studying 2 a levels and a btec that's my three main subjects needed to get into university. My college made us pick up critical thinking I hate it so much!!!!! I just can't stand it and now I want to drop it so badly. I'm still waiting for 2 more offers. Do I need to let the universities know I'm dropping it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I'm studying A2 and critical thinking is an AS they made us pick up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If critical thinking is not included in your offer, you may drop it.
Original post by anontsr
I'm studying A2 and critical thinking is an AS they made us pick up

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should email the universities and ask them. I'd do this before dropping it just in case :smile: it shouldn't matter too much if it's not part of the offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to notify the universities that you are dropping it.
Reply 5
What if the offers are based on UCAS points? Kent just asks for 3 subjects however City and Westminster also indicate UCAS points in their offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to let them know if you are dropping it and they may reject you because of it (they probably won't but they can if they want to) your offer was based on all of the information submitted on your UCAS form, if any of that information changes you have to inform them.
Original post by Superboy

Yes, if it isn't part of your offer there shouldn't be a problem. It's only critical thinking, so I doubt any uni would care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While I agree that they probably won't care, you MUST tell your universities or they are within their rights to reject you on results day.
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
While I agree that they probably won't care, you MUST tell your universities or they are within their rights to reject you on results day.

Not if the subject is not included in his offer.
Not if the subject is not included in his offer.

This has come up many times before and the advice from both UCAS and experienced TSR helpers is ALWAYS to tell UCAS and your uni choices, and confirm that the latter don't mind you dropping a subject - even if it isn't included in their offer.

For example, Minerva's excellent FAQ on applying: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2113025. The relevant section says:

Changes in Circumstances
If anything changes (eg you move, you decide to drop a subject or pick one up) make sure you tell UCAS and the unis straight away. Do not just drop a subject in the hope that it won't matter - just because it's not included in your offer doesn't mean that the uni didn't take it into account when they made the offer to you.

UCAS themselves make the same point in http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/tracking-your-application/making-changes. The relevant section says:

[h="3"]Changes to exams and courses[/h]Let us know at [email protected] right away if any of your exam details change let your universities/colleges know too.

That's anything from exam subjects, modules or units to awarding/examining bodies and centre numbers.

Conditional offers are usually based on exam details, so these changes might affect offers or decisions.

It's important to tell us, as it could delay your exam results if you don't, and if your results can't be confirmed you might not get your place.

Original post by anontsr
I'm currently studying 2 a levels and a btec that's my three main subjects needed to get into university. My college made us pick up critical thinking I hate it so much!!!!! I just can't stand it and now I want to drop it so badly. I'm still waiting for 2 more offers. Do I need to let the universities know I'm dropping it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is incorrect:

This is correct:
Original post by x__justmyluck
You have to let them know if you are dropping it and they may reject you because of it (they probably won't but they can if they want to) your offer was based on all of the information submitted on your UCAS form, if any of that information changes you have to inform them.

If you change your application then universities are entitled to change or withdraw their offers (and on a number of occasions we've seen people bitten by this losing their place at university on results day).

Universities probably wont mind but you MUST inform them if you're thinking of doing this to make sure - and if they do say that you have to take it then there's nothing to stop you from slacking off and ignoring the subject until you fail/get a low grade. Failing is not the same as dropping a qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending