The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SimonJB
Cheers for the replies, I'm just thinking about how practical they are as regards uni, I have a Givi Topbox and a rucksack, is that generally enough?

If I keep the YBR (it is a great little bike) do you guys recommend I definitely do the full test, or stick with my L's?

And if I decide to do the A2, what larger bike would be more practical, a nippy 250 or something a little bigger?

I have a Givi top box and a rucksack and can buy a weeks worth of shopping in it easily. MUCH easier than doing in on a bicycle or the bus.

You are limited to space but no limit on weight. So sometimes i go shopping for big things on foot locally like loo roll etc.

Tbh i'd keep with the YBR. Unless you're doing big trips very often then the YBR is the best bike for the job.

I'd do the A2 just for the future. It gets it out of the way and you can then upgrade your bike in the future. Doing a CBT repeatedly is wasting money imo.
Original post by SimonJB
Cheers for the replies, I'm just thinking about how practical they are as regards uni, I have a Givi Topbox and a rucksack, is that generally enough?

If I keep the YBR (it is a great little bike) do you guys recommend I definitely do the full test, or stick with my L's?

And if I decide to do the A2, what larger bike would be more practical, a nippy 250 or something a little bigger?

you become very good at tetrus... i use the 18 pack of toilet paper at the bottom, and then cargo net upwards! Camping including tent, clothes for 2 weeks and all the other bits on the back of an sv 650. Tank bags also help. I also ride all weathers and use bin bags as water proofing. F4LL3N moves PCs about with his.

i'd do the full test just to give yu the options. I went from test to a 400cc which gave me the power a 125 lacked but wasn't insane. i really don't like 125's generally
Reply 1183
Hi, new member and potential uni student at Plymouth in September..

Don't have my license yet but around 6 months ago I bought a BSA Bantam D7, and repaired/restored it with the majority of my savings, with just a little bit left to do, mainly involving the electrics but it's rather simple due to being such an old bike and not very advanced. As far as I know the bike is tax exempt, saving me a bit of money. Not my image, but here is pretty much exactly what it looks like, top speed isn't great but I'm not old enough for a bigger bike, and I won't ever be travelling too far on it. Though I've heard of people doing John o groats to lands end on them.

Reply 1184
In fact I'm surprised Imperial's SV costs. I find my SV to be super cheap to run. OK petrol usage is greater on an SV, but when rode well it can do 306 miles on a tank (yes I tried). Also, the fact there is some power there helps run more efficiently when transporting heavy items, pillions etc. Plus insurance is cheap (cheaper than my 125 was) although of course the 125 wins on tax. But when you think about it, keeping a 125 for commuting and the SV for other stuff doesn't make much sense. Must be cheaper to have just the SV and use it for everything than paying 2 tax's, maintaining 2 bikes, 2 insurances etc.

In extra news Pyrenees Day 2: http://mcblogspot83.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/pyrenees-day-2.html (yes incredibly late...)
Original post by Piko_Piko
It's my bike, but shinier. :biggrin:
IMG_20140131_082726.jpg

How stupid do you guys think it would be to use a bike to transport a carpet washer? It's slightly bigger than a henry hoover. I'm going to tape it to the pillion seat by means of duct tape, and use bungee cords to attach it to the top box and around me.
Stupid, or inspired? Also, am I likely to get pulled over or anything?

That's an easy one to move. I'm planning on moving a 6 foot dining room table tomorrow. Still not sure how though :confused:.

Original post by Maccees
I think I might need to bleed them a little bit more, I'm not sure if I'm just used to stronger brakes on a car or whatever but it didn't have the force I thought it might have.

They work though. Ten minutes after confirming the insurance and going out for my first little ride, some old bloke reverses straight out of his driveway without looking making me slam on and the back end went all over the place. Absolutely **** myself :lol:.

Then after seeing me, winds his window down and shouts, "You lot should look where you're going more often", and drives off.

Resisting the urge to punch side mirrors off is going to be hard isn't it...

It's an urge I've managed to resist. I use my elbows instead :biggrin:.
Original post by F4LL3N
In fact I'm surprised Imperial's SV costs. I find my SV to be super cheap to run. OK petrol usage is greater on an SV, but when rode well it can do 306 miles on a tank (yes I tried). Also, the fact there is some power there helps run more efficiently when transporting heavy items, pillions etc. Plus insurance is cheap (cheaper than my 125 was) although of course the 125 wins on tax. But when you think about it, keeping a 125 for commuting and the SV for other stuff doesn't make much sense. Must be cheaper to have just the SV and use it for everything than paying 2 tax's, maintaining 2 bikes, 2 insurances etc.

In extra news Pyrenees Day 2: http://mcblogspot83.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/pyrenees-day-2.html (yes incredibly late...)

My SV eats fuel and I'm not entirely sure why- granted I was using it mostly at low speeds, and maybe it's just the shock from going from a bike that did 130 mpg, but it does feel like it's constantly thirsty. I usually get 80-90 miles to a tank :/ I know the twin plug SVs are more economical than the single plugs, but still!

It might be that the restriction is making it run rubbish? Who knows!

ignore the city/highway ratio, they're pretty much all city except for the one where I got 43 mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/imperialmaniac/sv650s
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by F4LL3N

Yea but 125 are usually a lot cheaper on insurance, maybe because you were older it was less.

And the mpg is double on a 125.

I never take pillions so not sure how much they suffer but if you take them a lot it could definitely be worth it.

And A road and motorway miles would suck on a 125 but most don't do them often.
Reply 1188
Original post by Billbr
Hi, new member and potential uni student at Plymouth in September..

Don't have my license yet but around 6 months ago I bought a BSA Bantam D7, and repaired/restored it with the majority of my savings, with just a little bit left to do, mainly involving the electrics but it's rather simple due to being such an old bike and not very advanced. As far as I know the bike is tax exempt, saving me a bit of money. Not my image, but here is pretty much exactly what it looks like, top speed isn't great but I'm not old enough for a bigger bike, and I won't ever be travelling too far on it. Though I've heard of people doing John o groats to lands end on them.

Looks nice, assuming you are 17/18 if about to go off to uni can you ride it on an A1 licence if its a 175cc?
Reply 1189
Original post by 345rty
Looks nice, assuming you are 17/18 if about to go off to uni can you ride it on an A1 licence if its a 175cc?

Sorry, forgot to mention that I've swapped the engine with the lesser/earlier 123cc D1 engine
anyone live in Darwen? police giving free bike locks to residents?

http://darwen-life.co.uk/police-offer-free-locks/
Original post by Imperial_Maniac
My SV eats fuel and I'm not entirely sure why- granted I was using it mostly at low speeds, and maybe it's just the shock from going from a bike that did 130 mpg, but it does feel like it's constantly thirsty. I usually get 80-90 miles to a tank :/ I know the twin plug SVs are more economical than the single plugs, but still!

ignore the city/highway ratio, they're pretty much all city except for the one where I got 43 mpg.

is mine http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wigglez/sv650s

I assume 190 to a tank, with motorway driving, 180 if town driving. I;d be a bit worried. How is your chain? is it all lubed. Are they clean sparks.. and do you have a petrol leak!

What revs do you normally run it at?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bathwiggle
is mine http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wigglez/sv650s

I assume 190 to a tank, with motorway driving, 180 if town driving. I;d be a bit worried. How is your chain? is it all lubed. Are they clean sparks.. and do you have a petrol leak!

What revs do you normally run it at?

Replaced the sparks and chain when I got the bike, theres no obvious sign of a leak. Can't really recall revs, haven't ridden it since November.
Replaced the sparks and chain when I got the bike, theres no obvious sign of a leak. Can't really recall revs, haven't ridden it since November.

I normally run mine at less than 5... 6000 is 80 i think on my bike in 6th gear. Normally in town its as lower gear as possible. I did have a few issues when i got it riding it like a 4 cylinder, and only managd 120miles to a tank, but once i adapted to the twin the fuel was far better
Original post by Bathwiggle
I normally run mine at less than 5... 6000 is 80 i think on my bike in 6th gear. Normally in town its as lower gear as possible. I did have a few issues when i got it riding it like a 4 cylinder, and only managd 120miles to a tank, but once i adapted to the twin the fuel was far better

I think its the ECU restrictors fault, I highly doubt they bothered to map it properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Advice
Is 12,000 a lot of miles for a 50cc bike?

Posted from TSR Mobile

12000 miles is very achievable. Just make sure it's a Japanese made machine and not Italian. And definitely not Chinese. Keep it dry and clean. Ride gently and make sure you service and maintain it perfectly, otherwise they can go pop.
Original post by dangerman7uk
12000 miles is very achievable. Just make sure it's a Japanese made machine and not Italian. And definitely not Chinese. Keep it dry and clean. Ride gently and make sure you service and maintain it perfectly, otherwise they can go pop.

This is generally good advice though I've had several problems with Honda and not a single problem with Korean (I think) Sym bikes, scooters and (German?) Mz's. All of these are in the 90-125cc range though so may be different for 50cc. I know people with 40k+ miles on bikes and scooters from Asia (China, Taiwan and Sym who I believe are Korea). I also know of some real horror stories from some Asian companies though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1197

80 - 90 miles on a tank is very worrying. Even pounding mine it hits 130 before the reserve comes on.

Original post by Motorbiker
Yea but 125 are usually a lot cheaper on insurance, maybe because you were older it was less.

And the mpg is double on a 125.

I never take pillions so not sure how much they suffer but if you take them a lot it could definitely be worth it.

And A road and motorway miles would suck on a 125 but most don't do them often.

Yeah my point was I was comparing running an SV AND a 125 to just running an SV. The cheapness of the 125 doesn't allow for the running of the 2 together, even if you used the SV for sunny days. My 125 insurance wasn't much more to be fair, about £30 more than the SV.
Had my first ultra embarrassing moment today.

Got to the front at some traffic lights on red, thought I don't want to hold up the guy behind me or I'll probably just piss him off or something now I've got in front of him.

Lights turn green and I stall it, then it won't start :redface:. I died inside.
Original post by Maccees
Had my first ultra embarrassing moment today.

Got to the front at some traffic lights on red, thought I don't want to hold up the guy behind me or I'll probably just piss him off or something now I've got in front of him.

Lights turn green and I stall it, then it won't start :redface:. I died inside.

Lolol

This happened to me once and I got so flustered it just gave up and pushed it to the side of the road. Oh the shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending