Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3040
Original post by RebelV005
Cool, where are you from?

Manchester! Trek to get here lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pro Crastination
Changed to the Bath open day tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to be there! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yey!
Original post by Mike_123
nope heard from all but warwick. applied 14th oct

In the same situation as you, applied 13th November

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you make of it?
What did you make of it?

I thought it was great! I was especially impressed by the year in industry.
I was really amazed by the guy who went to HSBC in the talk at the end and how good his presentation was.

If I don't get an offer from UCL I think it will be my firm :biggrin:

What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought it was great! I was especially impressed by the year in industry.
I was really amazed by the guy who went to HSBC in the talk at the end and how good his presentation was.

If I don't get an offer from UCL I think it will be my firm :biggrin:

What did you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, the HSBC guy was the best salesman all day - if I could do public speaking like that, I'm not sure I'd be going into finance, haha.

It was nice to get a more in-depth understanding of exactly how career oriented Bath is, what support was on offer etc. The sports village was great, would love to have that as my local gym!

There were quite a few people in my group asking about what happens if they miss their offer by one grade, I assumed I was the only one worrying about this, so I guess that was kind of comforting.

I got talking to one guy who turned out to be from Harrow, really down to earth, normal guy. I think that kind of shifted my perceptions of private schools (and their students) a little.
Yup, the HSBC guy was the best salesman all day - if I could do public speaking like that, I'm not sure I'd be going into finance, haha.

It was nice to get a more in-depth understanding of exactly how career oriented Bath is, what support was on offer etc. The sports village was great, would love to have that as my local gym!

There were quite a few people in my group asking about what happens if they miss their offer by one grade, I assumed I was the only one worrying about this, so I guess that was kind of comforting.

I got talking to one guy who turned out to be from Harrow, really down to earth, normal guy. I think that kind of shifted my perceptions of private schools (and their students) a little.

Oh that's interesting about missing the offer. What was said about that topic? I always assumed it was too competitive to just let people in missed the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh that's interesting about missing the offer. What was said about that topic? I always assumed it was too competitive to just let people in missed the offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the person taking us for our tour missed their offer by a grade but was accepted, not much more was said, to be honest - it just depends upon whether the full allocation reach their target and have firmed or not.
Well the person taking us for our tour missed their offer by a grade but was accepted, not much more was said, to be honest - it just depends upon whether the full allocation reach their target and have firmed or not.

Yeah I'll try not to count on that then haha. I think they must have been really lucky to still get accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anyone waiting for UCL, there's two more open days to come and Malcolm Pemberton who deals with the admissions said if you're to get an offer you'll be invited to one within the next two weeks. Didn't say if majority have already heard for those open days or whether they're yet to send out invites for them
Original post by Libertine96
For anyone waiting for UCL, there's two more open days to come and Malcolm Pemberton who deals with the admissions said if you're to get an offer you'll be invited to one within the next two weeks. Didn't say if majority have already heard for those open days or whether they're yet to send out invites for them

Following this, I'm just going to assume it's a rejection for me if I don't receive an offer by the end of the month :frown:
Original post by Libertine96

im hoping this is right just so i can get some closure on the UCL issue haha. so if by the end of the month i haven't got an offer then :frown:
Reply 3053
LSE have just added another 4 WEEKS of waiting :frown: But they said my application is among the strongest so here's hoping :smile:
Reply 3054
UCL should really get back to those who have already been waiting for 1/3 year... I need the motivation.
Original post by Szmessh
UCL should really get back to those who have already been waiting for 1/3 year... I need the motivation.

Yeah same here, I only have one offer atm after being rejected by my other two options and I really need to get an offer soon from UCL and Warwick so I can decide on my firm and my insurance.
Original post by ross95
LSE have just added another 4 WEEKS of waiting :frown: But they said my application is among the strongest so here's hoping :smile:

Hi there, me too. I dunno but on another thread, i saw one person applying to LSE for History and got rejected alto she had strongest-email. Look weirdo. Anyway, let hope for offers for us.
Original post by derekluong
Hi there, me too. I dunno but on another thread, i saw one person applying to LSE for History and got rejected alto she had strongest-email. Look weirdo. Anyway, let hope for offers for us.

I got that four week email from LSE for economics and was then rejected, so its not a guaranteed offer. From what I can deduce, it's just the pool of candidates who aren't quite strong enough for an immediate offer but who they want to hold on to to compare with other applicants of similar quality.
It seems they place an unusual amount of emphasis on the personal statement when making their decision, and aren't interested in the extracurriculars. I feel I could have got an offer if I knew how to do my personal statement the LSE way, but I didn't :frown:.
Original post by gerald131
I got that four week email from LSE for economics and was then rejected, so its not a guaranteed offer. From what I can deduce, it's just the pool of candidates who aren't quite strong enough for an immediate offer but who they want to hold on to to compare with other applicants of similar quality.
It seems they place an unusual amount of emphasis on the personal statement when making their decision, and aren't interested in the extracurriculars. I feel I could have got an offer if I knew how to do my personal statement the LSE way, but I didn't :frown:.

Thanks a lot. when did u get that email? and when u get the decision? i dunno wat they look for in PS?
Original post by gerald131

And did they give you the reason why they reject u?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending