what uni?
Reply 64
Original post by illusionz
what uni?

Warwick
Reply 65
Original post by tehforum
Warwick

Ah fair. I miss uni :frown: at least I can still crash bristol unis student nights while I'm working shifts.
Reply 66
Original post by AreebWithaHat
not entirely sure. i think like say you have a 2xbw DL, squat will be 1.5xbw, bench is 1xbw, row should be same as bench and press 0.66xbw as a rough guide. This never works out though as people have different leverages.

Given that you're one of the guys with a strong deadlift, any advice/exercises you recommend for getting a better grip? My grip is what is preventing deadlift progression.
Reply 67
Given that you're one of the guys with a strong deadlift, any advice/exercises you recommend for getting a better grip? My grip is what is preventing deadlift progression.

I'm not sure about the pros and cons of using chalk...

of course, it improves grip
but it doesn't force you to improve grip strength naturally

on the other hand, for quick, fast progression, chalk may be the best course of action.
I'm not sure about the pros and cons of using chalk...

of course, it improves grip
but it doesn't force you to improve grip strength naturally

on the other hand, for quick, fast progression, chalk may be the best course of action.

chalk doesn't make the 'grip easier' like straps do. it just takes away the sweating effect, makes your hands dry.

chalk up. learn to use the hook grip. also on warm ups use a double overhand thumbless grip till it starts failing, then switch to hook. never touch straps until you're more advanced and are doing really heavy shrugs or rows etc.
Reply 70
chalk up. learn to use the hook grip. also on warm ups use a double overhand thumbless grip till it starts failing, then switch to hook. never touch straps until you're more advanced and are doing really heavy shrugs or rows etc.

Yeah hook grip inevitably makes you shift higher weight, but does it make any difference to the muscles hit?

And does it inhibit improvement of grip strength?
Reply 71

Yeah hook grip inevitably makes you shift higher weight, but does it make any difference to the muscles hit?

I don't know if I'm gripping too hard or doing it wrong, but hook grip makes my thumb nailbed hurt. Should I be pressing on the joint rather than the nail?

i think slightly less forearm activation. its like mix grip to an extent, if you are using it for 50/60kg you need to reassess your grip. it should be used for your top sets only.

on the other end, if ppl used thumbless double overhand all the time, 9/10 their deadlift would hardly shift.
I don't know if I'm gripping too hard or doing it wrong, but hook grip makes my thumb nailbed hurt. Should I be pressing on the joint rather than the nail?

yh should be on the joint, its uncomfortable but keep practicing.
Reply 74
i think slightly less forearm activation. its like mix grip to an extent, if you are using it for 50/60kg you need to reassess your grip. it should be used for your top sets only.

on the other end, if ppl used thumbless double overhand all the time, 9/10 their deadlift would hardly shift.

Sorry, I misread your post. Only just realised you said hook grip, rather than mixed grip.

atm, I'm having little difficulty with double overhand grip.

Of course, as my weights go up, I'll have to adapt because I've only got 1x5 workset for ICF.
Sorry, I misread your post. Only just realised you said hook grip, rather than mixed grip.

atm, I'm having little difficulty with double overhand grip.

Of course, as my weights go up, I'll have to adapt because I've only got 1x5 workset for ICF.

when you do switch to a stronger grip, pick hook over mixed. safer in long term for dem bicep tears and you can make it just as strong with practise.
Reply 76
when you do switch to a stronger grip, pick hook over mixed. safer in long term for dem bicep tears and you can make it just as strong with practise.

ah so is hook grip still double overhand? Rather than mixed?
ah so is hook grip still double overhand? Rather than mixed?

yes haha, you been doing some hybrid?
Reply 78
yes haha, you been doing some hybrid?

I'd been doing mixed grip with my thumb hooked haha. Anything to stop my grip failing at 140kg :frown:
your press is lagging?

97.5kg 5x5 - I shall not fail.
52.5kg+ bench - IN one Ear spotting haha, hopefully
and a whole host of other PBs, if I can help it

Awwwkwarddd xD.

Quick Reply

Latest