The Student Room Group

English teacher screams at girl. Reported?

So basically this my English teacher was explaining Irony this boy in my class, the boy was asking if irony was always intentional. Teacher said yes but this girl called Rebecca questioned her and said what about ironic situations? English teacher proceeded to shout as loudly as I thought humanly possible in this girls face "SHUT UP REBECCA".
The girl then asked to "go to the toilet" with tears streaming down her face. Now this is a tough girl and it takes a hell of a lot to make her cry so she must have been really shocked by this to react like that.
I heard the teacher apologise to her later but after said you shouldn't say complicated things that confuse the other students. Do you think she should be reported? Rebecca wont even tell her parents she's that embarassed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like one stressed-out English teacher. I had a maths teacher a bit like that, she was great though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Meh, I think teachers are allowed to sometimes lose it. And shouting? I have heard shouting by teachers almost every single day at school and I was at a good school.
Reply 3
Sod me sideways, yes.

If she's holding back 'Rebecca's' learning for the sake of a bunch of idiots then she shouldn't be teaching.

What we don't know is the circumstantial evidence - is Rebecca always annoying the teacher/asks inappropriate questions sometimes/was acting up etc.?

Whilst it's no justification, perhaps it isn't solely the teacher's fault and that should be taken into account when *you* or her make a report. Don't be one-sided because it'll make you look bad if you get called in to give your account of events.
I think Rebecca should be the one reporting her though. If it was a more frequent thing then other students should report her too but wow.. She is one frustrated teacher.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Obiejess
So basically this my English teacher was explaining Irony this boy in my class, the boy was asking if irony was always intentional. Teacher said yes but this girl called Rebecca questioned her and said what about ironic situations? English teacher proceeded to shout as loudly as I thought humanly possible in this girls face "SHUT UP REBECCA".
The girl then asked to "go to the toilet" with tears streaming down her face. Now this is a tough girl and it takes a hell of a lot to make her cry so she must have been really shocked by this to react like that.
I heard the teacher apologise to her later but after said you shouldn't say complicated things that confuse the other students. Do you think she should be reported? Rebecca wont even tell her parents she's that embarassed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Teacher is wrong anyway, irony is almost never intentional.

Actually I really can't think of a situation where deliberate irony could not be better expressed, e.g as sarcasm. Although technically you could describe sarcasm as irony, I've never heard anyone do it. The most colloquial use would be a situation or event that is bizarally contradictory to what it seems.

pregnant.jpg

This is a classic example or irony. The teacher is not right about this, Rebecca definately did the right thing in pointing this out and shouldn't be punished as a result.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by letsbehonest
I think Rebecca should be the one reporting her though. If it was a more frequent thing then other students should report her too but wow.. She is one frustrated teacher.

Becky is asking me for advice whether she should or not, I came here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Becky is asking me for advice whether she should or not, I came here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes she should defo! But I don't think much would happen.

I think she should have gone to the teacher when she was crying. It makes more of an impact, trust me I've experienced it before.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reportit.
Reply 9
It's a while since I was at school, but teachers yelling was an almost daily occurrence. Unless she felt physically threatened by the teacher, or was verbally abused (name calling, for example), there's no basis to report him/her.
Reply 10
Report. Totally unacceptable response.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Teacher is wrong anyway, irony is almost never intentional.

Actually I really can't think of a situation where deliberate irony could not be better expressed, e.g as sarcasm. Although technically you could describe sarcasm as irony, I've never heard anyone do it. The most colloquial use would be a situation or event that is bizarally contradictory to what it seems.

pregnant.jpg

This is a classic example or irony. The teacher is not right about this, Rebecca definately did the right thing in pointing this out and shouldn't be punished as a result.

If I remember correctly, the teacher defined Irony as saying something with opposite meaning and sarcasm as the same but meant in a nasty way. Is this incorrect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I remember correctly, the teacher defined Irony as saying something with opposite meaning and sarcasm as the same but meant in a nasty way. Is this incorrect?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's more the difference between being sarcastic and being sardonic although language isn't perfect so there is no true right answer.

However irony is more of an overarching term used to describe an event, situation or expression that is subtly contradicts what you would expect. Technically sarcasm is irony, but you would be better off just describing it as sarcasm; I have never heard anyone describing sarcasm as irony. It is far more commonplace to use Rebecca's definition actually, and it is the one I would most associate with. So yeh, ironically Rebecca is probably more correct than the teacher is on this whole issue.
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Yes, that's more the difference between being sarcastic and being sardonic although language isn't perfect so there is no true right answer.

However irony is more of an overarching term used to describe an event, situation or expression that is subtly contradicts what you would expect. Technically sarcasm is irony, but you would be better off just describing it as sarcasm; I have never heard anyone describing sarcasm as irony. It is far more commonplace to use Rebecca's definition actually, and it is the one I would most associate with. So yeh, ironically Rebecca is probably more correct than the teacher is on this whole issue.

Hmm. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol don't report her, nothing will happen. If you want revenge take it yourself, make sure she's the one leaving the class cryng next time :colone:
Reply 15
The girl then asked to "go to the toilet" with tears streaming down her face.

why did Rebecca ask to go to the ''toilet' in quotations? was she trying to add sarcasm to an already irony filled situation - this would be a recipe for disaster
Original post by darkface.
why did Rebecca ask to go to the ''toilet' in quotations? was she trying to add sarcasm to an already irony filled situation - this would be a recipe for disaster

It's generally what girls do when they're crying, to get out of the room.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think she should be reported? Rebecca wont even tell her parents she's that embarassed.

Whilst I don't want to defend the teacher, I do find it unfair that a teacher shouting at a student puts them at risk of losing their job whilst a student shouting at a teacher goes unpunished almost every time in a lot of schools. I'm a teacher myself.

There was one teacher at my school who got a formal warning from the headteacher for being 'too aggressive' when all he did was point the boy towards the door after he was caught messing around in his classroom during a lunch break and upending tables. The student went to the head with a story and the head bought it hook, line and sinker.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Whilst I don't want to defend the teacher, I do find it unfair that a teacher shouting at a student puts them at risk of losing their job whilst a student shouting at a teacher goes unpunished almost every time in a lot of schools. I'm a teacher myself.

There was one teacher at my school who got a formal warning from the headteacher for being 'too aggressive' when all he did was point the boy towards the door after he was caught messing around in his classroom during a lunch break and upending tables. The student went to the head with a story and the head bought it hook, line and sinker.

That's awful. But just because children shout at the adults does that mean an adult can be so unprofessional? I know this woman has always hated Becky & apparently made her Mum kick off at parents evening because she was being rude about her daughter. It's not even like she's a problem child. She's probably the smartest girl in our year, she gets the highest grades in like everything and is so nice, all the other teachers adore her. I just wonder why my teacher hates Becky so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I don't know if she should report it with malice, but I think it would be good to let the head of department/whoever is her superior that she has been responding to perfectly reasonable questions this way. There is never an excuse for talking to a student who doesn't have a raised voice, with a raised voice - don't let it go totally unreported. Yes the teacher may be having a tough time at the moment for whatever reasons, but she should not be bringing that in the classroom and definitely not letting it affect her work behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending