The Student Room Group

How to convince my teacher to let me stay in the course?

A while ago I received a conditional offer from Univesity of Edinburgh stating that I need to get BBB in the subjects that I'm doing at the moment. However, today I received my prelim results and I failed Higher Modern Studies (33%). My teacher said that I need at least 40% to stay in the class and do the final exam..
I dont know what to do, I know I can improve and pass the exam, I know what I'm capable of! And also, I need this subject to meet my conditions. University of Edinburgh is my dream university, I'm so upset :frown:
Please, help me
Reply 1
Original post by aiesot
A while ago I received a conditional offer from Univesity of Edinburgh stating that I need to get BBB in the subjects that I'm doing at the moment. However, today I received my prelim results and I failed Higher Modern Studies (33%). My teacher said that I need at least 40% to stay in the class and do the final exam..
I dont know what to do, I know I can improve and pass the exam, I know what I'm capable of! And also, I need this subject to meet my conditions. University of Edinburgh is my dream university, I'm so upset :frown:
Please, help me

hey, i've just finished my prelims aswell and i've had a few results returned. I would suggest discussing with your teacher the importance of why you need this course? If you need this subject to meet your conditional offer i'm sure they will let you sit it. Most people improve from the prelims as if you fail them you can see that you need to put much more effort in etc, goodluck! (i would also love to go to edinburgh it looks good!)
Reply 2
Original post by LMBY
hey, i've just finished my prelims aswell and i've had a few results returned. I would suggest discussing with your teacher the importance of why you need this course? If you need this subject to meet your conditional offer i'm sure they will let you sit it. Most people improve from the prelims as if you fail them you can see that you need to put much more effort in etc, goodluck! (i would also love to go to edinburgh it looks good!)

I will talk to my teacher tomorrow so fingers crossed that she'll let me stay in the class (she's quite strickt). If not then I'll just cry and then go and talk to my guidance teacher :P I only need another 30% to get a B which isn't that bad, I know what I'm capable of :smile:
Thank you, how did you get on with your prelims? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aiesot
I will talk to my teacher tomorrow so fingers crossed that she'll let me stay in the class (she's quite strickt). If not then I'll just cry and then go and talk to my guidance teacher :P I only need another 30% to get a B which isn't that bad, I know what I'm capable of :smile:
Thank you, how did you get on with your prelims? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hopefully she will :smile: if she says no then speaking to your guidance teacher is the best idea definitely! i dropped modern studies after 2 periods haha! the majority of my friends got A's and B's because apparently their teacher told them what would come up, they have went ok so far, English is my most important because i want to study that at uni, how did your other subjects go?:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LMBY
hopefully she will :smile: if she says no then speaking to your guidance teacher is the best idea definitely! i dropped modern studies after 2 periods haha! the majority of my friends got A's and B's because apparently their teacher told them what would come up, they have went ok so far, English is my most important because i want to study that at uni, how did your other subjects go?:smile:

I had a rough idea of what will come up on my Modern Studies prelim but I still failed because of one stupid mistake :frown: but hey, I learn from my mistakes! My other subjects went ok, 2 C's for Computing and History and an A for German :smile: Best of luck with English, I know its quite hard but hard work pays off in the end :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by aiesot
I had a rough idea of what will come up on my Modern Studies prelim but I still failed because of one stupid mistake :frown: but hey, I learn from my mistakes! My other subjects went ok, 2 C's for Computing and History and an A for German :smile: Best of luck with English, I know its quite hard but hard work pays off in the end :smile:

that's gutting :frown: atleast you won't make the same mistake again:smile: that's good especially for prelims, i've always found prelims harder than the exam!
thanks, you too!
Reply 6
Original post by LMBY
i've always found prelims harder than the exam!

Same here! I used to always fail prelims and mocks and get A's and B's in the final exam - which is weird but as long as I pass my final exams, I won't complain
Reply 7
Original post by aiesot
Same here! I used to always fail prelims and mocks and get A's and B's in the final exam - which is weird but as long as I pass my final exams, I won't complain

yeah! i'm finding these prelims harder as this is my first year sitting highers/int 2's, much harder than the standard grades, apart from the int 2's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending