The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellenabethx
I'm tempted to change my course to Economics and Business and East European Studies at UCL as that course is in Extra and I really want to go there, but I don't know if they'll let me

It's a stupid idea to do a course you don't really want to do just to go to UCL.
You'll end up dropping out and wasting a year of your life as well as lots of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering - are any other EU applicants still waiting for a reply from UCL? :smile:
Original post by Bloxorus
It's a stupid idea to do a course you don't really want to do just to go to UCL.
You'll end up dropping out and wasting a year of your life as well as lots of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually interested in the course, just I never considered it as I always thought of straight economics. Its not that much different, and all the east european side is in the optional part
I'm actually interested in the course, just I never considered it as I always thought of straight economics. Its not that much different, and all the east european side is in the optional part

I applied to that course as my backup choice! The modules actually seem more interesting than the straight economics ones at all the other top Uni's in my opinion. Just straight Econ is considered more prestigious. I know of someone who switched from straight Econ to that course though. Consider it carefully and research before you decide but it's a good option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Razina17
You never know what could happen. Mine also changed yesterday after 4 months.

Original post by monstercable
same...I'd just like them to hurry up with it so I can sort out my firm option

Can I just ask what you guys got at AS and your predicted grades? I got AAABC last (Maths, RS, Gov Pol, F.Maths and Spanish, respectively)
And I'm predicted A*AA this year
Original post by Rafael_96
I applied to that course as my backup choice! The modules actually seem more interesting than the straight economics ones at all the other top Uni's in my opinion. Just straight Econ is considered more prestigious. I know of someone who switched from straight Econ to that course though. Consider it carefully and research before you decide but it's a good option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What really drew me to the course is that you can study modules from the history department and also statistics (always been my favourite part of maths)
Also all the 'compulsory' modules are the Economics related ones, so I can tailor this degree to what I want it to be.
I am going to talk to my Director of Sixth on Monday because I think I have made my mind up
Reply 3246
Original post by sutst
I'm an international student :smile:. A friend of mine who applied for Econ and Stats got rejected two weeks ago but still nothing for me :frown:. Really weird as we are in the same school and applied for the same department.

I'm an international student too. I already achieved A*A*AB(econ,maths,business and chinese respectively), but rejected on feb 17th, the same course.
Called UCL yesterday about changing my course, they said to email them a formal request. Did that yesterday, fingers crossed hey
Reply 3248
Hi guys,

If considering the school's prestige and quality of education, in economics and in general, how would you rank Cambridge Economics, LSE Economics with Economic History, and Warwick Economics? And what's your argumentation.

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kopyl
Hi guys,

If considering the school's prestige and quality of education, in economics and in general, how would you rank Cambridge Economics, LSE Economics with Economic History, and Warwick Economics? And what's your argumentation.

Thanks

Cam econ > Warwick econ >= LSE econ&econ hist
Application status changed to "Currently being processed by Admissions" ... here comes the rejection from UCL

i got rejected by them last week :frown:
Original post by kopyl
Hi guys,

Thanks

I just had a look at the Econ w EH course at LSE and it appears to be a carbon copy of Econ except the optional modules must be in EH, so I'll consider them equal.

The general consensus is Cambridge > LSE > Warwick when it comes to prestige.

Cambridge & LSE are arguably regarded as the best 2 universities for Economics in the UK. Between them, Cambridge's undergrad course is better imo. I think the structure and content in the tripos is excellent, and you get a healthy amount of contact time and discussions with the supervisions structure.

Overall, LSE's faculty is claimed stronger so it might be better than Cambridge for Economics. But that's only really relevant for postgraduate study and research. I'd recommend Cambridge for undergrad study.

I'm not too familiar with Warwick's course as I only decided to apply there at the last minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3252
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I just had a look at the Econ w EH course at LSE and it appears to be a carbon copy of Econ except the optional modules must be in ET, so I'll consider them equal.

The general consensus is Cambridge > LSE > Warwick when it comes to prestige.

Cambridge & LSE are arguably regarded as the best 2 universities for Economics in the UK. Between them, Cambridge's undergrad course is better imo. I think the structure and content in the tripos is excellent, and you get a healthy amount of contact time and discussions with the supervisions structure.

Overall, LSE's faculty is claimed stronger so it might be better than Cambridge for Economics. But that's only really relevant for postgraduate study and research. I'd recommend Cambridge for undergrad study.

I'm not too familiar with Warwick's course as I only decided to apply there at the last minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I totally agree.
Anyone heard back from Leicester or uea...

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long after attending the UCL open day, did you guys get your offer?
Original post by RebelV005

I've been waiting since the 5th of March and I've had nothing through on UCAS yet. I'm also interested to hear from people...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3256
LSE rejection, UCL offer!!

Edit: It's on track, I've had no email from UCL and haven't been to an open day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ross95
LSE rejection, UCL offer!!

Edit: It's on track, I've had no email from UCL and haven't been to an open day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations!

Are you international? That will be why you didn't need to go to the open day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
I've been waiting since the 5th of March and I've had nothing through on UCAS yet. I'm also interested to hear from people...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just got the offer email 5 mins ago :biggrin:
Original post by RebelV005

I got mine 2 weeks after

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending