The Student Room Group

UCL postgrad applicants 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by parparcita
Hi Nico, I'm from Chile too. I applied to a psychology Msc in UCL. Actually, very worry about accommodation...

Awesome!! Best of luck to you with your application! Hope we get to represent Chile at UCL :smile:
Anyone heard anything for msc developmental psychology and clinical practice?
Reply 282
Any applicants from India considering the YMCA London hostel for accommodation.?
Reply 283
Original post by wakeypuzziegirl
Not sure if this is for everybody, but unlike my offers from King's and LSE, there was no welcome pack, only my conditional offer letter in the post.

This was the same for me too, Leeds sent me loads of information with theirs, but didn't really get anything from UCL.
Original post by Mmmwehh
This was the same for me too, Leeds sent me loads of information with theirs, but didn't really get anything from UCL.

Ah that's a shame, how long did the letter take too? Would be good to have some solid information from them about moving to London etc but oh well!
Reply 285
Hello all,

Has anyone applied for Msc Financial Risk Management?
Reply 286
Original post by Mmmwehh
It would be up to you really :smile: It would be more down to whichever course you think will suit you best. Although sometimes, deciding that is easier said than done!

Have you looked on the website? For my course (also part of the geography depart) there was soooo much information about the course including this years course handbook and module outlines which was really helpful, could be worth looking into?

Also if you have 50 quid spare for the application fee, it doesn't hurt to at least apply then make your mind up later :smile:

Would you say geography is better at UCL than King's College? I keep hearing people say that UCL is better for geography, but I don't know very much as I am not from the U.K.. Would it affect my job prospects? For example, would an employer hire the person from UCL rather than the person with a graduate degree from King's College?
Reply 287
Hello everyone.
I am newbie here from Malaysia.
Anyone in this forum already received an offer for MSc. Strategic Management of Projects?
FYI, i did my interview with faculty Prof. on early Feb'14, but until now no update from them. Waiting for good news :smile:
Reply 288
Hello guys, I have a few questions :

1) Do you know when UCL comes back to us, when we have to pay our fees etc ? Is it few weeks after an unconditional offer, or few weeks before the beginning of the programme?

2) A more specific question. I've got an offer for the Msc in Public Policy at UCL and the MSC in Public policy Pnd Administration at LSE. I know it's an annoying and endless debate, however I don't know what to choose. Basically UCL is cheaper (9900 vs 19000) and I'm not sure that the LSE brand will be useful for a carrier in London (as I suppose UCL is a well-known uni in London). The UCL's student life also appears more appealing, however it's just an assumption. I would really appreciate whether someone can give me a feedback based on his own/friend experience, or if you can give me your opinion.

Thank you ! :smile:
Reply 289
Original post by jojohn

1) Do you know when UCL comes back to us, when we have to pay our fees etc ? Is it few weeks after an unconditional offer, or few weeks before the beginning of the programme?

2) A more specific question. I've got an offer for the Msc in Public Policy at UCL and the MSC in Public policy Pnd Administration at LSE. I know it's an annoying and endless debate, however I don't know what to choose. Basically UCL is cheaper (9900 vs 19000) and I'm not sure that the LSE brand will be useful for a carrier in London (as I suppose UCL is a well-known uni in London). The UCL's student life also appears more appealing, however it's just an assumption. I would really appreciate whether someone can give me a feedback based on his own/friend experience, or if you can give me your opinion.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the first question. Regarding the second one, you are the only one who knows what is right for you. I think that both UCL and LSE have an outstanding reputation. If you haven't visited the schools yet, I would do that first. So you know how you feel about them. I would also have a look at their program outline? Is one of the two better suited to you? Of course the financial aspect is something to take into account as well, 10k is a lot of money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 290
Thank you for your quick reply. I think UCL has the best program, and i'm leaning towards UCL. Moreoever I do like the Euston's area :biggrin:. The only thing is with all the fuss about LSE, I don't know if with exactly the same CV except the - same - Msc at UCL & the other at LSE, the latter has the upper-hand? Having said that, as I'm going to get a student loan in any case - and as a result money is not a problem -, I don't know whether a tiny advantage is worth 10K€, just as a matter of principle...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 291
Original post by jojohn
Thank you for your quick reply. I think UCL has the best program, and i'm leaning towards UCL. Moreoever I do like the Euston's area :biggrin:. The only thing is with all the fuss about LSE, I don't know if with exactly the same CV except the - same - Msc at UCL & the other at LSE, the latter has the upper-hand? Having said that, as I'm going to do a student loan in any case - and as a result money is not a problem -, I don't know whether a tiny advantage is worth 10K€, just as a matter of principle...

10k is a lot of money having to pay it off later on. As you say you lean more towards UCL that might be the one for you. Is there maybe someone you can talk to? Like a personal tutor of any kind who can give you some real world advice?
Reply 292
I'm not from the UK, so when I ask my friends either it's "these are good uni" or "you should do LSE many famous blabla did that". For the last answer it's basically because they don't know UCL, and know just the LSE Brand. Strangely when they say that it reinforces my desire to go to UCL :biggrin:.
Moreover on few threads people debated on the subject (eg: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/40177-ucl-vs-lse/ ), and it seems that both programme are neck and neck. anyway thank you for your opinion, I still have plenty of time to decide (nevertheless I'll be glad to hear other opinions/feedbacks). I wish you the best with your applications (being curious, for what Masters & uni did you apply?)
Reply 293
Original post by jojohn
Thank you for your quick reply. I think UCL has the best program, and i'm leaning towards UCL. Moreoever I do like the Euston's area :biggrin:. The only thing is with all the fuss about LSE, I don't know if with exactly the same CV except the - same - Msc at UCL & the other at LSE, the latter has the upper-hand? Having said that, as I'm going to do a student loan in any case - and as a result money is not a problem -, I don't know whether a tiny advantage is worth 10K€, just as a matter of principle...

I personally don't think its worth the extra 10k.
Reply 294
Original post by jojohn

In my opinion, when comparing top universities, none of them will be 10k better than the other, if you look at it as an investment. It will come down to you to make a difference in terms of salary and professional value, not to the university you come from, if you come from a very good one, like on your case.

So, if I had to choose, I'd go for UCL without a doubt.

Hope this helps!
Original post by jojohn

In all honesty that 10 grand would be better spent supporting you through unpaid internships after your Masters! I'd go for UCL
Reply 296
Original post by oywiththepoodles
Ah that's a shame, how long did the letter take too? Would be good to have some solid information from them about moving to London etc but oh well!

The letter only took a couple of days, but it's literally an A4 page telling me I have a place. A bit of information would have been lovely.. it's sad but I love reading through stuff like that haha, it gets me excited!

Plus I think it just makes the university look more welcoming, but that's just me!

Have you received anything after accepting?
Hi there,

has anyone applied for the Msc Economics and Policy of Energy and the Environment?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey there!
Has anyone applied for LLM in this thread?
I am a bit worried because i submitted my application only a couple of days ago, so was wondering if anyone's got any idea about whether this is too late?
Any response would be appreciated

Forgot to say i applied to UCL and King's for LLM:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending