The Student Room Group

The Cancer Chat Thread- share and care :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
Thanks. :smile:

That's fantastic news. :biggrin:

Can't believe how long it sort someone out to come and take Granddad's body away. (He died at home) I was asked if I wanted to see his body. The whole idea of that really freaks me out.:redface:

I had the option to go see my Granddad when they do one of those viewing type things but I couldn't do it. The idea scared me a little. I think it helps a lot of people to see them at peace but it's certainly not for everyone!
Reply 181
Original post by katehlouise
I had the option to go see my Granddad when they do one of those viewing type things but I couldn't do it. The idea scared me a little. I think it helps a lot of people to see them at peace but it's certainly not for everyone!

Indeed, it's definitely not something that everyone finds helpful. I saw my grandparents, and I went to see my mum the day before her funeral but my brother chose not to. I don't think he'd have found it helpful, and I was terrified that was how I'd remember her afterwards, but she did look more at peace than when it happened, and I did get some comfort from that.

But it's definitely a personal choice thing, some people don't find it helps at all.
Reply 182
Cancer isn't something that runs in my family thankfully but my papa did have kidney cancer a few years ago. The doctor said it was probably the shingles he had about 6 months before he got diagnosed that caused it. He had been complaining of back pain a while after the shingles on that side left and his doctor put it down to nerve damage. It wasn't until he passed out from the pain and was pretty much peeing out blood that he got diagnosed. Thankfully all he needed was the kidney removed since they caught it early enough. The docs first suggested just cutting out the affected area but my papa told them just to take the full kidney out! My papa also has a lot of other health complications, diabetes being one of him and recently his one remaining kidney is starting to fail so he has to get dialysis but he's doing ok. One day at a time :smile:

My partner's mum died of kidney cancer when he was 10 and she was 35. Apparently drink caused her cancer and also my partner's dad has had Hodgkins Lymphoma twice, once at 29 and then again at 35 and he also got diagnosed with a malignant melanoma last year but he just needed it cut off and no more treatment.
Reply 183
Thought I'd get the all-clear yesterday. Didn't. Pretty gutted. Anyone around? I just really wanna talk to someone right now.
Hi guys,

I had Aplastic Anaemia when I was in my mid-late teens and I had a BMT. Not cancer but my treatment was very similar to those with leukemia and I've raised a fair amount of money for CLIC Sargent by running a marathon 6 months ago. I'm subbing so I can give support where I can and share my experiences :smile:
Hey all, have you seen the no make up selfies for women and sock on cock/makeup selfies for men?? Going around it is a great thing, so many people are now donating and the awareness has increased so much. I now a lot of us on the thread have had to deal with cancer but don't forget there are so many that care, and even in the hardest times sparing a few pounds can make a huge difference!!

Here for anyone that needs to chat, been through it 2012+ and I am out the other side. :smile: best wishes to you all xx
Original post by syrettd
Thought I'd get the all-clear yesterday. Didn't. Pretty gutted. Anyone around? I just really wanna talk to someone right now.

Must be devastating knowing you have to carry on. :frown:
Original post by syrettd

Bit late but I'm so sorry to hear that. :frown:
Reply 188
Original post by blue n white army
Must be devastating knowing you have to carry on. :frown:

That's the thing- I don't even know if I have to. They're not sure if it's cancer or not. I just got a 'It looks like it's still there, we have a big meeting in a few days and we'll discuss your case and let you know in two or three weeks time. You will need another biopsy if we think it's cancer'. So I don't know what's happening, I'm left in limbo AGAIN.
Original post by syrettd
That's the thing- I don't even know if I have to. They're not sure if it's cancer or not. I just got a 'It looks like it's still there, we have a big meeting in a few days and we'll discuss your case and let you know in two or three weeks time. You will need another biopsy if we think it's cancer'. So I don't know what's happening, I'm left in limbo AGAIN.

yeah not knowing is definitely the worst feeling. Is that all they said? "we don't know" did they give any indication on whether or not it's shrunk?

was it a PET scan you had?
Reply 190
yeah not knowing is definitely the worst feeling. Is that all they said? "we don't know" did they give any indication on whether or not it's shrunk?

was it a PET scan you had?

I know that a lot of it's gone- a few days after my very first chemo all my lumps vanished over night, and a scan after my fourth one showed only a bit left. And before I began they said I'd also have a scan after my sixth, but when it came around no one mentioned it and I assumed it was because my first scan got such a positive result (they were really really pleased) that they figured there was no need. I hate PET scans so I certainly wasn't going to bring it up.

I think the problem with cancer in the lymph nodes is inflamed lymph nodes on a PET scan can just be an infection, which is why they would need to do another biopsy. But I haven't had any infections and with a low immune system I would definitely know about it, so the signs aren't good.
Original post by syrettd
I know that a lot of it's gone- a few days after my very first chemo all my lumps vanished over night, and a scan after my fourth one showed only a bit left. And before I began they said I'd also have a scan after my sixth, but when it came around no one mentioned it and I assumed it was because my first scan got such a positive result (they were really really pleased) that they figured there was no need. I hate PET scans so I certainly wasn't going to bring it up.

I think the problem with cancer in the lymph nodes is inflamed lymph nodes on a PET scan can just be an infection, which is why they would need to do another biopsy. But I haven't had any infections and with a low immune system I would definitely know about it, so the signs aren't good.

Sounds very similar to my GFs. her lumps vanished a couple of weeks after her first session and a scan after her fourth showed just a few hotspots. They said it could be the cancer or it could just be scar tissue but as she had 8 session left anyway they just carried on blasting it.

I think with PET scans there's a lot of things that it could be so it can be quite worrying when they pick up something on a PET scan .
Reply 192
Sounds very similar to my GFs. her lumps vanished a couple of weeks after her first session and a scan after her fourth showed just a few hotspots. They said it could be the cancer or it could just be scar tissue but as she had 8 session left anyway they just carried on blasting it.

I think with PET scans there's a lot of things that it could be so it can be quite worrying when they pick up something on a PET scan .

Did she have anything show up on a scan after she finished her chemo? I finished all mine over two weeks ago, and was convinced the scan would be ok.
Original post by syrettd
Did she have anything show up on a scan after she finished her chemo? I finished all mine over two weeks ago, and was convinced the scan would be ok.

thankfully no but everyones experience is different. At the very least you know that the chemo is working.
Reply 194
thankfully no but everyones experience is different. At the very least you know that the chemo is working.

The chemo should have gotten rid of it all by now. I'm not meant to have any more chemo. I had my line taken out, I'm looking for work again, they said I was finished and could get on with my life. And now they're saying it might not have completely worked and that could mean a different treatment. I feel like I've been diagnosed all over again.
Original post by syrettd
The chemo should have gotten rid of it all by now. I'm not meant to have any more chemo. I had my line taken out, I'm looking for work again, they said I was finished and could get on with my life. And now they're saying it might not have completely worked and that could mean a different treatment. I feel like I've been diagnosed all over again.

Very sorry to hear this. :frown: I hope you have some good news soon.
I've been a carer for my mum who has cancer since I was 14 - luckily she's stable, but they can't completely eradicate it, so we just have it hanging over us all the time like a big black storm cloud :/ but yeah, I know a thing or two about what it's like to live with the effects of cancer, so I'm here if anyone needs to chat <3
My brother in law has cancer - apparently he's the only person in the country with this type.

Can't find a surgeon who will agree to operate, and only surgery will work as other treatments aren't an option. It's on his spine and is very slow growing, but unless we can find someone to operate it doesn't matter how slow - that's it.

*sigh* it's just rubbish. He's not even 30.
Cancer is a disease which has really affected me. My Uncle died from Skin cancer two years ago. It had spread to other parts of his body, and he couldn't have chemotherapy because he had had a stroke just a few years before, and the lack of mobility meant he was refused it. My uncle was like a brother to my mum - they were really close. It was really difficult for her, especially since she was expected to stay strong and support her sister (who was his wife).

My dad's co-worker recently died of a brain tumour - he sadly died just before Christmas. My dad had always got on well with him too - they were really close. He had undergone surgery twice and had chemotherapy but unfortunately nothing worked for him. And the Christmas before my dad's (I think it was his auntie) died from cancer as well.

My mum's auntie is currently fighting breast cancer - she got the all clear twice, but it keeps returning. She's having chemotherapy at the moment.

My cat also died of cancer of the lymph nodes 5 years ago. He'd had it for 3 years without us ever knowing. He had a tumour on his spine that was almost the size of a golf ball. It caused him to have spasms in his legs when it pressed on nerves.
Reply 199
Original post by syrettd

I've only just come back to TSR after a long time away. Saw this thread and it hit a chord in me reading all the posts, as my Aunt was diagnosed with Breast Cancer over a year ago. Luckily the chemo worked but I remember the impact it had on the family as a whole since we're all tight knit. I remember how those of us at uni all struggled with it since she was diagnosed at exam time so it was a major hit in the gut at a bad time.

Syrettd if ever you want to talk just message me and I'd be more than happy to. I (like most people probably) know how it can be to feel alone when it feels like life is tumbling down around you and its a time when we just need support and someone to talk to/ to care. I hope you're recovering from some of the stuff your earlier posts mentioned about e.g. losing the 'one' and I just want you to know there are people who do care and are here for you, even if its just in an 'online' way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest