The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m0hd_J
Congrats
May I ask, what a levels did you take? And also, what gcse grades did you get?
Best of luck? Posted from TSR Mobile

I took Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. And at GCSE I got 5A* 4A 1B
Original post by m0hd_J
Hey all,
I want to do an economics degree in the future. For a levels, am definitely taking maths and economics and probably politics too as it merges with economics really well. I'm looking to do a degree in economics where the course looks more at world issues rather than just looking at graphs.
My question is, along with maths, economics and politics, what other a levels do you think I should take? Should I replace any subjects?
I can choose a maximum of five however I'd prefer to do four but if you come up with a combination of subjects that suits five a levels, please do reply!
Also, is chemistry a levels hard? And what about physics?
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your current choices are fine, they're all respected subjects. There isn't really an optimal subject combination so just pick whatever you enjoy. Other good choices would be History, Geography, a language or if you enjoy Maths why not FM?

Difficulty is relative, some may breeze through those subjects while others would struggle, but none of us could tell you for sure how you'd cope. It would depend on a number of factors: your ability in those subjects, how much work you're willing to put in, are you someone who works throughout the year or leaves everything till the end, etc.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3322
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Your current choices are fine, they're all respected subjects. There's not really an optimal subject combination so just pick whatever you enjoy. Other good choices would be History, Geography, a language or if you enjoy Maths why not FM?

Difficulty is relative, some may breeze through those subjects while others would struggle, but none of us could tell you how you'd cope. It would depend on a number of things: your ability in those subjects, how much work you're willing to put in, are you someone who works throughout the year or leaves everything till the end, etc.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely know I don't want to do a language! I'm struggling in GCSEs so I know I wouldn't cope at A Level.
What A Levels are you taking and what GCSE grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J
Hey all,
I want to do an economics degree in the future. For a levels, am definitely taking maths and economics and probably politics too as it merges with economics really well. I'm looking to do a degree in economics where the course looks more at world issues rather than just looking at graphs.
My question is, along with maths, economics and politics, what other a levels do you think I should take? Should I replace any subjects?
I can choose a maximum of five however I'd prefer to do four but if you come up with a combination of subjects that suits five a levels, please do reply!
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

you could do further math that would help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3324
Original post by m0hd_J
Hey all,
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am in the same position as you, wanting to peruse economics at degree level. I have chosen Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography for my A-levels next year:smile:
Original post by econam
I am in the same position as you, wanting to peruse economics at degree level. I have chosen Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography for my A-levels next year:smile:

Isn't geography a soft/doss subject. If you are capable then you should really do a proper science instead if you are serious about getting into lse/oxbridge/warwick. Obviously if you can't handle a science then doing geography is fine.
Reply 3326
Original post by iPixelBlue
Isn't geography a soft/doss subject. If you are capable then you should really do a proper science instead if you are serious about getting into lse/oxbridge/warwick. Obviously if you can't handle a science then doing geography is fine.

I would agree with you that the content is easy, however this is respective. I know some people who find it really hard. Correct me if I'm wrong but Geography is regarded as a facilitating subject. Also, I find it compliments Economics well.
Original post by iPixelBlue

Absolute rubbish. Geography would be the go-to subject if history were not taken alongside M, FM, Econ.
Reply 3328
Original post by m0hd_J
Hey all,
Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't listen to the comments about geography it is a well respected subject, i wouldn't advise taking politics as it isn't a traditional subject and ideally you want three out of four traditional subjects. Maths and economics are important, then either English, history, geography, or a science would be good. FM would probably be very useful for economics at a top uni although I have an offer for Economics and Management at Oxford and I am studying economics, maths, history and did English lit as AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3329
Original post by purplemind
Got an A*AA offer from UCL.

I want to firm Cambridge (A*A*AB) and insure Warwick (A*AA) but I don't really know what is the best thing to do, I have only been to Cambridge, haven't visited Warwick or UCL (got an offer without being invited to an open day) and there is no chance I can go to Warwick open days in April because I'm not in UK at that time.

What a levels are you doing out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J
What a levels are you doing out of interest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry. Also did AS Biology. :smile: And A2 in my native language but only Bristol took it into account.
Reply 3331
Original post by LFR
Don't listen to the comments about geography it is a well respected subject, i wouldn't advise taking politics as it isn't a traditional subject and ideally you want three out of four traditional subjects. Maths and economics are important, then either English, history, geography, or a science would be good. FM would probably be very useful for economics at a top uni although I have an offer for Economics and Management at Oxford and I am studying economics, maths, history and did English lit as AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems like a strong combination and it is subjects which I feel I am strong at!
What did you take at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zzaacc
Is anyone else here waiting for Warwick??

Yes!
Reply 3333
Original post by Anonymous1717
Yes!

Phew! I wonder if they'll reply by the 31st of March :frown:
Guys Ucl is the last school I'm waiting for..is it too late to get an offer now??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3335
I received an offer for Bsc economics a couple days ago! I'm both shocked and happy! I was starting to give up on hope after waiting 5 months to hear anything haha.

For all you waiting, just don't give up hope just yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3336
Original post by _ashT
I received an offer for Bsc economics a couple days ago! I'm both shocked and happy! I was starting to give up on hope after waiting 5 months to hear anything haha.

For all you waiting, just don't give up hope just yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I forgot to mention this was from Warwick by the way aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3337
Just got my BSc Econ offer from Warwick, international student by the way.
Still considering whether I should stay in Germany or not.
Warwick vs University of Mannheim vs Goethe University Frankfurt. Do you know these German universities? If so, what are your opinions on these?
Reply 3338
Original post by ellenabethx
successfully changed my course, I now have an offer for Economics and Business with East European Studies

Congrats. Can I ask what did you write to them?
Guys any advice here! Just got rejected by Ucl:frown: but have offers from lse and Warwick. Which shld I choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending