The Student Room Group

I NEED HELP DESPERATELY!! Please

Hi, my first post here I really need help.

I'm 18 and I finished 6th form last year, I am currently taking a gap year. I was supposed to finish a graphics course at school this year but something went wrong and I can not complete it.

I am left with 120 ucas points from A levels and I want to go to university to study criminology.

I applied this year have conditional offers based on the grades I would of received from the graphics course I was supposed to do but then everything went wrong and I will not be attaining those extra points any-more (need 60).

What do I do??! Have I ruined everything? Its too late now to apply for college foundation courses and things I think....I am stressed and don't know what to do someone please help.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.:frown:
Reply 1
Original post by fender4
Hi, my first post here I really need help.

I'm 18 and I finished 6th form last year, I am currently taking a gap year. I was supposed to finish a graphics course at school this year but something went wrong and I can not complete it.

I am left with 120 ucas points from A levels and I want to go to university to study criminology.

I applied this year have conditional offers based on the grades I would of received from the graphics course I was supposed to do but then everything went wrong and I will not be attaining those extra points any-more (need 60).

What do I do??! Have I ruined everything? Its too late now to apply for college foundation courses and things I think....I am stressed and don't know what to do someone please help.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.:frown:

You have a couple of options to try;
e-mail the head of the course and/or admissions and explain what has happened (not too sob-story) and how much you want a place with them. I know people who did this and still received a place (at prestigious unis too).

Option 2 try clearing.

Otherwise you will have to do another course to get your UCAS points up.
Reply 2
You could ring up the unis you're interested in and see if they offer foundation courses & if they do, do they still have places, then you could decline your offers and apply for a foundation course. It's not the end of the world. Someone will no doubt be able to give better advise.
Reply 3
OK this is good advice, the course I have applied for was a foundation course :/. What should I say to them exactly?
Reply 4
Do NOT email the university. apparently they dont take it as seriously. give them a call to discuss your options
Reply 5
In terms of taking a college course to boost my points, what are my options? Am I too late to apply?
What's the rush? Why cant you take another year to get the required qualifications and do it properly? You dont HAVE to go this year.

Or you could do a relevant apprenticeship and avoid £60,000 worth of debt - https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/Apprenticeships.aspx
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
What's the rush? Why cant you take another year to get the required qualifications and do it properly? You dont HAVE to go this year.

Or you could do a relevant apprenticeship and avoid £60,000 worth of debt - https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/Apprenticeships.aspx

I know, I am ALREADY taking a year out, but I am wondering if I am too late to apply for a college course starting this september or whenever. Then I will have the points necessary to go next year.
Reply 8
I have essentially just finished my year out, but I need to get points next year. So that will be 2 years out. But if I am too late to apply for a course for next year, I will have to take ANOTHER...
Reply 9
Original post by fender4
I have essentially just finished my year out, but I need to get points next year. So that will be 2 years out. But if I am too late to apply for a course for next year, I will have to take ANOTHER...

You need to calm down.

Many colleges accept applications in August as that's gcse results time - some people will do worse than they needed or change their mind at that point. So if you're applying for a college course you still have time! Some might be full, but not all.

So stop panicking and think through what you want to do. Then contact some colleges and find out about their application process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Last year at my college we had a guy who applied in September and was granted the opportunity to plea his case, and he started mid September so it's never a lost cause, and it's certainly not too late. Go for it and good luck
Reply 11
Oh thank you all so much, you have no idea how much that helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending