The Student Room Group

What choices would be best for me in sixth form?

Hey, so I wanted to know what A-Levels would be best to study for me to go on in uni to study Software Engineering BA Hons. At the moment I'm coming close to doing my GCSE's and I already have my place in the college I want to attend. However I have chosen to do, ICT Single Award, Psychology, Art and Design and English.

I've never really knew what I wanted but software engineering has been one of my main choices for a couple of years now and I want to make sure that the courses that I'm doing will be right so I would like to change the A-levels, to what's best. I would like to study to ICT Single Award, English (For a backup plan), Computing and ... I don't know. So can anybody help me to choose which they think could be best?

Thank you :-)

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong topic
Reply 1
Probably Maths, computing, product design/art and some physics. Software engineering is even hardcore than computer science. You will be making stuff like operating systems the programs computer scientists use to make their programs. So a computer scientist will make an iPhone app in Xcode but a software engineer will make the Xcode itself. So yeah do some maths, physics and computing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by cheesestav
Hey, so I wanted to know what A-Levels would be best to study for me to go on in uni to study Software Engineering BA Hons. At the moment I'm coming close to doing my GCSE's and I already have my place in the college I want to attend. However I have chosen to do, ICT Single Award, Psychology, Art and Design and English.

I've never really knew what I wanted but software engineering has been one of my main choices for a couple of years now and I want to make sure that the courses that I'm doing will be right so I would like to change the A-levels, to what's best. I would like to study to ICT Single Award, English (For a backup plan), Computing and ... I don't know. So can anybody help me to choose which they think could be best?

You can't go wrong with maths
Reply 3
Original post by Mike_123
You can't go wrong with maths

Unless it's stats :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by cheesestav

1) I'm sure Software Engineering is a BSc not BA

and 2) If I were you I'd focus on Maths, Science and Technology subjects. So things like:

- Maths
- Further Maths
- Additional Further Maths
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Design Technology
- Information Technology
- Computing

I'd personally definitely choose Maths and Physics and then maybe DT and one other, just my suggestion. However saying this I don't know what the requirements are and if the offers are based on UCAS points it may mean you can get away with any subjects
Reply 5
Original post by lilypear

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha true. Stats is a bitch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilypear

Posted from TSR Mobile

eh stats was just typing stuff into calculators lol. Like spending hours typing long numbers into formulas.

Quick Reply

Latest